Profile for Melvin Garside > Reviews

Content by Melvin Garside

Melvin Garside (Yorkshire)

Set of 2 Medieval Battery Operated LED Candles with Heavy Dripping Wax by Lights4fun
Offered by Lights4fun

5.0 out of 5 stars but for the rest of us who like to have candles without the attendant mess and fire ..., 13 Dec. 2014
These candles are the nearest thing to perfection. They give a superb appearance of the real thing, yet without melting wax dripping onto surfaces, and without having to make regular replacements as the candles shrink in size.
If you are a purist who says that only real flames will do, that is your prerogative, but for the rest of us who like to have candles without the attendant mess and fire risks, I cannot recommend these too highly.

Most Unbelievable Magic Set by Fantasma magic (Gung Ho Box, Cups and Balls, Penetration frame)
Offered by Latest Bargains

2.0 out of 5 stars and are no better than you would obtain from a cheap Christmas cracker, 12 Dec. 2014
Very disappointing, it is not worth the money paid.
The contents are made from plastic, and are no better than you would obtain from a cheap Christmas cracker. Some of the tricks are quite good, but are let down by the quality of the materials. I cannot comment on the DVD as we have yet to play it.
I would not advise anyone to buy it, because I do not believe good value.
I see now that it is no longer available, and I can well understand why.

Samsung S24C550VL 23.6 inch LED MHL Monitor (250cd/m2, 1920x1080, 2ms, 2x HDMI, MHL, VGA)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, 4 Mar. 2014
I cannot fault the picture quality, or the automatic sensing of various inputs. The only slight niggle I have is the sound and picture control. It all has to be done via one little button under the bottom frame and is very much trial and error no matter how many times you use it. Samsung have given the option of controlling through a PC and this is fine if you are using it as a PC monitor, but there must be many people who use it only as a games machine monitor, and they are stuck with a clunky sound and picture controller. Pity about this or it would have had five stars.

Butcher's Crossing (New York Review Books Classics)
Butcher's Crossing (New York Review Books Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely gripping book, 25 Feb. 2014
Reading this novel gripped me in ways I did not expect. Admittedly I approached it with an open mind, but could never have foreseen the philosophical and psychological dimensions which it reached. At face value it is a western novel, however, the novel reaches into the human psyche and forces us think about our own purpose in life ......... if we choose to let it.
I thoroughly recommend it, approach it with an open mind.

King's Bounty: Legions
King's Bounty: Legions

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: King's Bounty: Legions (App)
Even following all instructions, this game simply doesn't start. Also, there is no way we can contact anyone to resolve the problem. Avoid it like the plague.

Killer-Sudoku Free
Killer-Sudoku Free

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire Killer, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Killer-Sudoku Free (App)
Although it is good fun to use the drawbacks are that there is no 'save game' facility and no stats to compare progress.

Puzzle Bubble Shooter (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Puzzle Bubble Shooter (Kindle Tablet Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars PUZZLE BUBBLE SHOOTER., 6 Oct. 2013
PUZZLE BUBBLE SHOOTER.

It's addictive, hours could go by. "I'll just have one mor go!" Oh no, I don't think so.

The Chambers Crossword Dictionary, 3rd edition (Chambers Crosswords)
The Chambers Crossword Dictionary, 3rd edition (Chambers Crosswords)

3.0 out of 5 stars meaty with some gristle, 24 Aug. 2013
There is a great deal of depth to the dictionary, but it is not so easy to find what you are looking for. Imagination is needed. I will get there, I am determined. I hope to grow to love it.