Profile for Ruth H > Reviews

When God was a Rabbit
When God was a Rabbit
by Sarah Winman

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and wonderful, 21 July 2011
This review is from: When God was a Rabbit (Paperback)
I loved all the quirky characters and the innocence of the first half of the book. The characters develop well and become like friends by the end. I was sorry to finish it.

Hide and Seek: The Irish Priest in the Vatican who Defied the Nazi Command. The dramatic true story of rivalry and survival during WWII.
by Stephen Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 17 April 2011
As a fiction reader I was amazed at how engrossed I became in this factual account of the lives of two very different characters. Stephen Walker gives a truly unbiased view of the events and at no time is he judgemental or disapproving. The story unfolds like a Hollywood screenplay and grips the reader right from the start. I was moved to tears whilst reading about the massacre in the Ardeatine Caves and again when Monsignor O'Flaherty made an appearance on This Is Your Life. The book does not end with the death of the priest but evolves so that we can expand our understanding of his arch enemy Kappler. I read the entire book in about 3 sittings and so vivid are the descriptions of wartime Rome that I frequently looked up from my reading and was surprised to be sitting in my living room and not in a cafe across St Peter's Square from the Vatican. A thoroughly good story backed up with great detail and empathy. Can't wait for the next one.

The Lost Daughter
The Lost Daughter
by Diane Chamberlain

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 31 July 2009
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It was a real pageturner and created loads of discussion at our reading group.