Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Doctor Moreau
Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Doctor Moreau
by Guy Adams

4.0 out of 5 stars New Or Experienced to Sherlock,this is for you, 19 Nov. 2012
It has been a long time since I last read a Sherlock Holmes novel but I remember being lost in awe of the brilliance of the character so to delve back into his and Watsons world once again was nothing but a pleasure and Adams has done a great job here.

I haven't read enough Holmes novels in the past to know whether Dr Moreau is a new character or not but within the first third of this book the details of his past was enough in wanting me to get to the bottom of this mystery as much as Holmes. Once Mycroft turns up at Baker Street with tales of chewed and disfigured bodies turning up in the Thames the story takes a grimy and dark turn into the paranormal.

It is fair to say everything is never as it seems in Sherlock Holmes world and that is part of the great reading to be had,trying to solve the mysteries the pair get in while you follow their adventures and The Army Of Dr Moreau doesn't fail in doing this. If you haven't read any Sherlock novels before I'd even recommend this as a great starting point

The Twenty-Year Death
The Twenty-Year Death
by Ariel S. Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter Knows His Crime & Delivers, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Twenty-Year Death (Hardcover)
I do love a good crime novel and the chance to have 3 in one book wet my appetite even more.
I'd never heard of the author up to this point and noticed he'd only wrote a children's book before this so not quite sure how he'd handle the crime genre but to say I was more than pleased would be an understatement.

The book is split into three stories all with a connecting element which I won't discuss as it could potentially spoil plots in each story. Each story has its own unique style which I thought was a brilliant achievement by the writer to do this, each story feels like a different writer so you don't get pulled into a repetitive notion of reading.

Murder murder and murder is theme throughout though and I thoroughly enjoyed the change in eras which each story progresses through, it is one of the many ways the writer keeps the stories fresh and original, there is enough crime set in the modern day to read about so I loved going back to 1940's Hollywood and and 1930's France,was a setting I'd never read through before.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled now for future publications from Winter, really hope he visits the crime genre again because I really enjoyed this book and recommend it anyone.

Turbulence
Turbulence
by Samit Basu

5.0 out of 5 stars Turbulence Review, 1 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Turbulence (Paperback)
In a summer where cinemas have been dominated by superheroes the last thing I expected was to be blown away above them all by a book covering the the subject of super humans. What Samit Basu has accomplished here is a fascinating story in an environment I'm not usually familiar with but I think this is what makes it all the more interesting and I just couldn't put this book down

Turbulence tells the story of a mysterious plane journey which leaves all of its passengers with super powers derived from their deepest wishes, from super strength to worlds best computer hacker, how these people react and use their powers though is the main bulk of the story. Will India inherit a group of super villains or will heroes be born?

The characters are the strongest point for me in this book,they are developed perfectly but it never to point of letting the overall story suffer. They all have their own beliefs and being set in India it allows to get us a different perspective from the usual Western Good Vs Evil, it is never as straightforward as that.

Don't think that this is all moral dilemmas though, the action throughout this book is fantastic and consistent, I read a lot of comics and graphic novels and could feel the influence on the writing, the writer honours and even reflects upon comic book heroes of the generations we all know and love but takes his own concept in a whole different direction. I think comic book readers will love Turbulence (I describe it best as a cross between X-Men and Chronicle) but also general fiction readers will also find a lot to love,it really is a book for everyone and I couldn't recommend it enough.

I hope there is plenty of books to come and this becomes a series, I can't wait to visit this world and characters again,bring on the sequel!!