Profile for Andrew INGRAM > Reviews

Content by Andrew INGRAM

Andrew INGRAM "thatandrew13582" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Acronis True Image 9
Acronis True Image 9

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating and disappointing, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: Acronis True Image 9 (CD-ROM)
My version is
Acronis® True Image Home® version 11.0 (build 8,022)
two grumbles:
> the language is very arcane, it's less than intuitive to operate
> it constantly gets stuck on certain files (normally a Thumbs.db file) and then hangs, waiting for instruction. there is no option to ignore such files.

Norton Save & Restore (PC)
Norton Save & Restore (PC)
Offered by Grumpy Greyhound

2.0 out of 5 stars Not user friendly, 3 Dec 2010
This product gets a "Best Buy" in the reviews in Which magazine, which misled me. I tried installing it and it got into a huge fight with my anti-virus software (AVG free), which I had to remove and reinstall.
I then discovered three things about it which make it unsuitable for my purposes:
a) it encrypts everything it backs up, so you can't use the external drive as a way to transfer data between computers
b) it has no "top-up" or incremental backup option - if you want to back up, you have to back up everything, every time
c) it took about four hours to back up 250GB, but the external hard drive had only received 25GB of backed up data. A few searches for keywords on the drive revealed huge gaps in the content.

It does get good reviews from some people, and it offers many, many advanced-user options, but I found it unsuitable for a basic user like myself.
Get this - it comes with a 130 page manual, all in English. Yes, 130 pages. It's THAT unsuitable.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much - but it's fun, 27 Oct 2010
You can spend over 200 quid on one of these, so if you pay less than 20 for this one, you should adjust expectations.
The instructions are a bit flaky, in the sense that they don't totally relate to the pen in the package (they mention a blue light which is not there), and they speculate about what "might" happen if you connect it to your PC etc.
As a piece of fun equipment though, it delivers surprisingly well.
My advice is, have a good few practice sessions with it, to see how it actually works. Unfortunately the routines for turning it on, taking a photo, and making a movie are almost identical (they all involve pressing the button on top), so you just have to practice.
I can't change the date at all on my one: it thinks it's 2007.
I have made 11 year old boys wide eyed with this thing. I have also introduced an element of hysteria into business meetings. I have also made a movie of my entire ten minute walk to the station (featuring quite a lot of footage of my jacket lining), because it's hard to tell whether it's off or on.
Operational point: when you unscrew it to show people how it works, it's important to say in a terse manner "For goodness sake pay attention 007"

Max Value 200Mbps Home Plug, Double Unit Pack
Max Value 200Mbps Home Plug, Double Unit Pack
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug it in and it goes, 2 Jan 2010
You really do just plug it and it goes.

There is a small CD delivered with the kit: I assumed I would have to use this before the setup would work - but no, I just plugged the PC into the second box, plugged the router into the first, and bingo, I'm on the internet.

1000 Things to Do in London (Time Out Things to Do in London)
1000 Things to Do in London (Time Out Things to Do in London)
by Tom Lamont

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - the London you don't know, 28 Nov 2007
I have lived in London for thirty years and I only know a third of the places in this book. Packed full of unexpected suggestions and well researched summaries. Bit heavy on the kind of places that you need gelled hair to feel comfortable in but hey - it's a Time Out book.
It's in my loo, covered in biro marks and every fifth page corner is turned down. (As soon as my parole comes up I'll be right out there!)

Strand Master Remote 4 in 1 Universal Remote Control
Strand Master Remote 4 in 1 Universal Remote Control

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, cheerful, partially successful, 28 Nov 2007
The bad news: it doesn't know all the codes to all the kit: fine with Matsui TV and Panasonic Freeview box, stumped by Sony hi-fi and Samsung DVD player.
The good news: it means that for less than a tenner i can keep using my freeview box, whose channel buttons had become sticky/inoperative.
Bad news: you do have to keep the old remotes for all those extra functions this one can't handle (red button, channel ID, info etc).
I now have five remote controls: I think you can judge a man by the number of remote controls he has at his side, do you not agree...?

SanDisk 4GB Micro Cruzer - Retail Pack
SanDisk 4GB Micro Cruzer - Retail Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Great capacity but fragile, 12 Nov 2007
there really is, astonishingly, about 4GB of space on this little fellah. Two disadvantages:
a) it comes with built-in software which, despite reading the advice here, I still find is unhelpful and unavoidable..
b) this thing has no cap, just a hole into which the business end mostly retracts. This has made it unsuitable for my intended use - having it in my jeans pocket, or in the "everything else" pocket in my rucksack. So it's in the drawer at home: no away fixtures.
It's also very flimsy in feel; the case feels like it could easily be split open just with the fingers.

Olympus WS-320M Digital Voice Recorder and Music Player
Olympus WS-320M Digital Voice Recorder and Music Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny package, big machine, 7 Sep 2007
I use this machine for:
> recording acoustic music rehearsals
> market research interviews
> snooping on people.
It's excellent for all three, but for music it's much better with an external mike. Plus points are the utter convenience of a recorder the size of a grasshopper's holiday suitcase, tiny weight and simple basic controls. The USB connection is also a fabulous advantage: computers recognise it immediately.
Downside: small controls can be fiddly, and managing files is frankly much better done on PC.
I have one more use for it too - it's got a diddy speaker, so you can listen to stories late at night. Yummy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2012 9:16 PM BST

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars In 100 years I sense this will be seen as a timely book, 18 Jun 2007
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
The other reviews of this book demonstrate what a touchy subject this is! Whatever your views I would recommend reading this book. It's fluent, well argued and engaging - although he is sometimes so angered by religious people that the fury starts to seep through and you can sense his knuckles whitening on the pen.

As with many theses the nuggets are sometimes tucked away. He casually reflects at one point how "believers" are actually atheistic about many gods (Apollo, Ra, Vishnu, Odin etc) - they dismiss almost as many gods as he does.

His scale of believing/not believing is interesting too: this isn't just a case of yes or no, there are many graduations on the way through - so, which are you? Quite atheistic but vaguely think there might be a God? Find out where you are on this handy, easy-to-read scale!

Seriously: this is a book that puts religious belief into perspective. If you are fifty like me, Christianity was probably a big part of your childhood education, and you challenged it at your peril. Like everything else your teachers believed in (corporal punishment, fair play, fitness, mind/body balance) in later life you have to assess the value of those ideas. Are you going to try to pass them on to your children? Are you sure that's right?

My tip - don't read the intro when you start: it's the angriest chapter, as it recounts the polemical (and sometimes downright horrid) attacks which have been made on Dawkins about the subject, so he's cross.

My own beliefs? Why should you care! This is an amazon review. It's about the book and whether it's worth reading. Enough with the ranting already.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2012 9:32 AM BST

Sweex JA000050 USB Webcam 100k with Microphone
Sweex JA000050 USB Webcam 100k with Microphone

1.0 out of 5 stars Chancy product, 25 May 2007
Like other reviewers here I found this cam just won't work - on Messenger, Skype, anything. There is no advice about why, and the manual has been written by a dalek.

Sound yes, picture no.

Maybe it cuts out below certain levels of ugliness. I am quite ugly.

Bit more importantly, pissed off.

Page: 1 | 2