Profile for Scouse Pete > Reviews

Scouse Pete (UK)

Magic
Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you ... quickly!, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Magic (MP3 Download)
When I first heard this I thought it was just a little bit "self-indulgent, Chris Martin" ... but the more I hear it, the more I like it, and the bit that "gets me" every time is the first time you hear the keyboards on the track, when those bars come in ... awesome! This isn't going to storm up the pop charts - it's no "Speed of Sound" or "Yellow" but it has a certain mature, chilled-out quality to it. I love it now! In fact, I'd put it right up there with Clocks as one of my favourite Coldplay tunes. Just stick with it. It's worth it.

Samsung UE32EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED Television with Wi-Fi functionality (Old model) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, 27 Feb. 2013
Just to put this review into context my previous TV was a Samsung too (LCD), although it's EPG was painfully slow and often lacked any information whatsoever ("No data available"), and the picture quality wasn't what I'd hoped. I have now had the 32" EH5300 for just a couple of days but have to say I am extremely pleased (some might say smug!) and just a little bit surprised at just how good this TV is "out of the box". First thing you notice is how light it is! Second, the initial installation is becoming more and more PC-like. Once done though, you'll want to go into the Smart Hub and update all the apps (this is an automatic update). Included now is ITV player, BBC iPlayer, 5 On Demand, Netflix and LoveFilm (you get a month's free subscription to the last two - if you sign up - and then remember to cancel before they charge your card!). Bit disappointed not to see 4oD on there (maybe it's in the Samsung Apps section?!).

The picture quality is brilliant and I haven't even got round to adjusting the settings to their optimal yet! Can't wait to hook up the X-box to this too! The sound isn't brilliant, but it's more than adequate for most purposes, although I route mine through an LG DVD player with 5.1 speakers. The remote control is reasonably well laid out and all functions are responsive. The EPG is pleasing on the eye. However, one of the best things about the TV is the fact that you can control it from a smartphone! I got home from work the other night and couldn't find the remote - fear not, I simply got my phone out (HTC One X) and used my "Smart Remote" app to access the EPG, change channels/volume, and access Netflix. You can also use the smartphone (on-screen) keyboard to enter text into text-input fields. This is sooooo much easier than trying to use the on-screen keyboard on the TV. On a side note, if anyone uses this Smart Remote app and (like me) couldn't figure out how to get it connected to the TV ... press the button in the app that looks like an "On/Off" button. You'd think they'd put the connection in "Settings", and not on a button that looks like it closes the app or switches the TV on/off! Then simply leave it on "automatic" and press the "Scan" button. If it finds your TV it will appear on screen, simply click on the TV and you should be connected.

TV is connected to router via Ethernet cable and broadband connection speed is around 4.5 - 5 Mbps. I've watched 2 HD movies from Netflix and there was absolutely no buffering issues. Not tried any "Super HD" or "Blue-Ray" quality movies yet.

Great TV - especially at this price!

A Rush Of Blood To The Head
A Rush Of Blood To The Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I've ever bought!, 8 Nov. 2012
I originally purchased the CD the week the album was released, and for the following 9 months it NEVER left the CD player in my car (and I travel a lot!). So after a few years of listening to Coldplay's newer stuff, and having just had a bit of a nostalgic music session I decided it was time to re-acquaint myself with some of their earlier stuff. Yes, it sounds a little dated compared to their newer stuff (but hey, that's progress for you!). The main thing is, I love this album, and all those memories from that year I listened to the album just came flooding back. Clocks is, to this day, still my favourite track of Coldplay's, and possibly of all-time! There really isn't a bad track on the album. So glad I got myself an electronic copy now though as at least it won't wear out like my CD did ;)

Ella Cube Black Faux Leather Futon Sofa Bed & Cushions - Back in Stock with Improvments!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the price!, 19 Jun. 2011
Was looking for 2 cheap sofa beds. For the price of these you can't go far wrong. Don't expect them to be of the highest quality - not at this price. But that's not to say they are poor. The kids have slept on them and say they are very comfortable. They are a bit firm to sit on, but personally I wouldn't say they are too firm. They have to be a little firm to last - otherwise the beds would be too soft within a few weeks of regular use. They are easy to put together. You simply slide the main seat into runners on the arms and then attach with 2 bolts in each. The click-clack mechanism feels a bit "loose" and takes a bit of getting used to but once you figure it out (pull up until you just hear/feel the click and don't go too far) then it's fine. Very happy with them and we've had them for a couple of weeks now.

The Microsoft Data Warehouse Toolkit: With SQL Server 2005 and the Microsoft Business Intelligence Toolset (Computing)
by Joy Mundy

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 25 May 2010
I've worked in business intelligence and data warehousing for about 7 years now but have only ever had to create/populate a data warehouse using SQL Server 2000 and DTS (Data Transformation Services), so I needed to get up to speed on using SQL Server 2005/2008 and having attended a few webinars (incidentally, one run by Joy Mundy, co-author of this fine book), I decided to grab myself a copy of this title, and it has rarely left my desk since I bought it. I can't give you a full review of absolutely everything that the book covers because there are some areas that we are not using, but the first 6 chapters which bring you up to the point of developing an ETL system are well covered. The books accompanying online material is also extremely useful. I suspect that if you are new to SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) then you may want to get a copy of a text that covers that aspect alone because whilst the book covers "what you should/could/can do" it doesn't always tell you "how". In particular I was unfamiliar with SSI expression language - but that's where the internet comes in handy (yet again) - although I may be a little unfair as perhaps that sort of stuff is covered in The Data Warehouse ETL Toolkit: Practical Techniques for Extracting, Cleaning, Conforming, and Delivering Data. If you know SSIS (and I guess SSAS), then this book is just about all you will need to build a successfull data warehouse. There are some parts I wish the authors had elaborated on, but in all fairness if you start picking through the books examples (downloadable) then you should be able to figure out how it does things (auditing is a prime example). I can't honestly dock it any stars for my lack of knowledge though. Final bonus ... the price. I've bought books costing more than DOUBLE this (albeit for a different subject area) and they haven't been anywhere near as well written. I wouldn't hesitate in buying any of the books in this series based on my initial reading.