Profile for Ms. A. L. Goodall > Reviews

Content by Ms. A. L. Goodall

Ms. A. L. Goodall (Lincoln, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Time Team: Series 17 [DVD]
Time Team: Series 17 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly these are getting a bit same-y now. Too ..., 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Time Team: Series 17 [DVD] (DVD)
Sadly these are getting a bit same-y now. Too much Tony Robinson, too many people asking each other 'posed' questions to which they clearly know the answers. (If they don't, they haven't been watching very carefully.) But the archaeology is as interesting as ever, so worth having on the shelf to dip into once a year or so.

Chemistry of the Upper and Lower Atmosphere: Theory, Experiments, and Applications
by Barbara J. Finlayson-Pitts

5.0 out of 5 stars it was received with joy, pounced on and immediately dived into, 15 Feb. 2015
I bought this as a gift and have NOT read it, so the views aren't mine. However, it was received with joy, pounced on and immediately dived into, so I'm assuming it was a success...

Wartime Farm
Wartime Farm

5.0 out of 5 stars I had to discipline myself to enjoy a bit at a time, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Wartime Farm (Kindle Edition)
Very different from the rest of the series, partly because the events are within living memory (parents at least), and partly because it covers (2month bits of) the whole war, not a straight year. But still as informative, entertaining and delightful as the rest. I had to discipline myself to enjoy a bit at a time, not to gobble it in one sitting!

Terratek 18 Volt Cordless Power Combi Drill Driver with 13pcs Accessory Kit,Comes Complete with Battery and Charger.
Offered by Futura Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A wanted gift, 29 Sept. 2014
I can't actually comment personally, since the article was bought as a birthday gift for a friend. However, she has owned a similar tool before (different make) and specified this one carefully, having looked at several makes first, and checked reviews on them. She hasn't used it yet, but has unpacked and examined it and is very pleased at the moment. I understand it will come into use shortly, and she is looking forward to using it.

Art in Felt and Stitch: Creating Beautiful Works of Art Using Fleece, Fibres and Threads
by Moy Mackay

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I bought it, 3 Aug. 2014
I've begun to experiment with felt very recently, and this was just the book I needed to give me ideas for what to do next. I've one in mind to start on straight away. It is clearly written, well illustrated, and the various techniques are clearly explained. I'm glad I bought it!

Stitched Textiles: Landscapes
Stitched Textiles: Landscapes
by Kathleen Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of really good ideas, at least one of which I really ..., 3 Aug. 2014
Lots of really good ideas, at least one of which I really shall have a go at. It wasn't plain to me before purchase that the author puts such a lot of machine stitching onto her landscapes, more than I would want to, and in some cases I thought it over-fussy. But it is distinctive, and doesn't have to be copied slavishly to achieve an attractive - and more personally pleasing - result.

Ancestral Journeys: The Peopling of Europe from the First Venturers to the Vikings
by Jean Manco

5.0 out of 5 stars A real delight, 22 Mar. 2014
I loved this book, despite struggling at times with all the changing names of peoples/tribes, ancestral areas. It doesn't have all the answers and doesn't pretend to, but it points to what is potentially knowable (we need more datable bodies!) and synthesises information from a range of disciplines in a way which amounts to more than the sum of parts. One for re-reading, probably more than once.

British Bat Calls: A Guide to Species Identification
British Bat Calls: A Guide to Species Identification
by Jon Russ

5.0 out of 5 stars An important acquisition, 22 Mar. 2014
Having struggled for years with bat call id, using piles of lecture notes, photocopies, libraries of my own and other people's 'known' species calls, and introductions to sound and echo-location physics, electronics and the rest, it came as a great relief to find this book, and acquire most of the above information in an easily readable, understandable form. It hasn't answered all questions, probably because in our present state of knowledge it can't,ut I haven't found answers to any of these questions anywhere else either. So right now, it lives next door to my computer!

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

4.0 out of 5 stars Where do you turn for help when you've just taken the plunge into a weekly Veg Box?, 2 Dec. 2012
Hugh F-W of course. Its a great book, not only very readable, but the recipes are easy to follow, and they really work. My only reason for being a bit stingy on the stars (I don't just LIKE this book, I love it) is that it isn't long enough. With a fresh box arriving every week, and bringing veg I've scarcely heard of and certainly have no idea how to cook, I need volume 2 asap please!

Census: The Expert Guide
Census: The Expert Guide
by Peter Christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 9 Sept. 2012
Not only does it do 'what it says on the box', but its really readable, so you learn as you enjoy. I've been using the census records, sort of, for years, but not really thinking about what else could be gleaned from it, or what a variety of 'versions' there are, hidden away there. Every chapter gives me new ideas.

Page: 1 | 2