Profile for S. Lloyd > Reviews

Content by S. Lloyd

S. Lloyd "GixxerGuySteve" (Telford, England)

Broods Ep
Broods Ep

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow moody synth pop., 8 May 2014
This review is from: Broods Ep (Audio CD)
A mellow / moody EP from a refined synth pop band. Original and instantly addictive, I loved this EP from the start, every track. Kind of reminds me of Banks and Phantogram, but not quite so "out there". The female/male duets add to the vocal interest for me, stopping me getting bored when listening to the whole EP start to finish, which I've been compulsed to do since purchasing. Already looking forward to more from this band.

Panasonic SC-BTT370EBK 3D 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema
Panasonic SC-BTT370EBK 3D 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema

2.0 out of 5 stars Flat plastic sound, 30 Jun. 2012
Very disappointed with this replacement for my LG HD903TA which is a 5.1 sound surround system DVD player. I'm a Panasonic fan, and thought that this would rival or better the LG as they both deliver 1000w of sound. Instead I've now got a blu ray player with a flat plastic sound lacking roundness and bass. Checked through the set up options to see if I could draw more from it, to no avail. There is an option to set the unit to one of 4 different presets, but the heaviest of these is still poor. Having tried it with my TV's sound, I tried a cd. The LG excelled with my cd collection, making me want to listen through my entire collection. The BTT370 left me wanting to return the product and find something better.

Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (PC DVD)
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe, 15 Jan. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I totally agree with a former reviewer in that this game is infuriating. You get the slightest tip from another car and you're spinning wildly off the track. If you deliberately try to tap another car to force the same thing on them, they skid slighlty off while you spin wildly off the track.
I like to see my AI opponents make the same errors as me from time to time, and there are next to no games that do this. Most games you either cut through the pack like some racing God, or turn up the skill level and become a driving dunce. The AI opponents rarely change in what they're doing, except maybe become more aggressive on you as if you're the only car they need to beat.
The only game I've found to address these flaws is SimBin's GTR Evolution. It's a few years old now, but still majorly impressive.

I'd like to add Shift 2 has a fair amount of night racing, which is something else I'm really not fond of.

Guillemot Dual Trigger 2-in-1 Rumble Force Gamepad (PC/PS2)
Guillemot Dual Trigger 2-in-1 Rumble Force Gamepad (PC/PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing comes close, 30 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've had a few gamepads that have disappointed with one thing or other. I wanted analogue controls all over the place, and few manufacturers provide enough. I often said that the playstation controller was the ideal for me, and found this one. It's solid built, programmable, has analogue triggers and joysticks, good connectivity, plenty of buttons, and nothing has fallen off it after a couple of years of abuse! It surpassed my ideal and I thoroughly recommend it.

Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
Offered by Doll-Computer

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm becoming a Logitech fan, 30 Jan. 2009
This replaced a Microsoft Razer which let me down after 11 months of pretty average use. I've got other Logitech products, and to be honest I haven't got a bad word about any of them. This mouse fits nicely into the palm, feels like quality, and does all the things it says on the tin. It feels nicer than the Razer, and for those who think looks are important, it doesn't disappoint there either. The software is easy to use, and the buttons are well positioned and feel purposeful. The Razer has got lights on it.... so what? Buy this one.

MERC Stealth Keyboard (PC)
MERC Stealth Keyboard (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice one, 30 Jan. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I get in about 5 hours a week gaming on Call of Duty, and my connection speed is a lowly figure, so I was looking for something to give me a bit more edge over the lucky souls with 10mb plus connections and over 30 hours a week to waste on slaughtering us noobs. On arrival, the Merc impressed me with a nice solid quality feel. In use, the lit keys became a pleasing bonus, and the only gripe I have to date is a lack of bespoke delete key. There is one, but you have to hit the num lock on the rhs number pad to use it. To be fair, I could probably programme another key elsewhere on the board....I haven't looked that far into it yet. The gaming pad on the LHS took some getting used to, and I've tried different configurations in trying to find the best for me. My hand aches a bit using it, so I think a raised palm rest would be a good improvement. But overall I'm finding it a useful tool for first person shooters. I've got more usable buttons within easy reach, and as some of them are raised slightly above the others, I'm not taking my eyes off the screen so much to find what I want. If you've got a narrow desk top you'd best make sure it'll fit before buying. Summing up, a quality board that will probably increase your kill/death ratio, but not overnight, needs a palm rest, but worth the outlay.

Encore EBP-KC3T Black Electric Guitar Outfit
Encore EBP-KC3T Black Electric Guitar Outfit

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good beginer's guitar...and then some, 29 Nov. 2008
I'm no seasoned guitarist, but I have bought a couple of other guitars and this one isn't surpassed by the others. I was worried that this would be cheap and nasty, and would hinder my learning to play. I've actually found it to be quite a polished performer. One of the other guitars I bought looked to be very much the same as this one (for my son), but is in fact nowhere near the quality. The neck actually bends as you play, and it constantly goes out of tune, so beware buyers: there are some shoddy products out there. The other is an expensive bass guitar and rather a fine piece of work. The Encore is just as good. It took a few retunes for the strings to bed in, but now it just needs an occasional tweek. It's had to put up with some rough treatment from my lad as he mimics his rock gods, but it's taken it and remained shiney and sweet sounding. The amp is good enough for any home performance, the strap needs replacong quite soon and the DVD is a short lived exercise. I'D THOROUGHLY RECOMMEND BUYING A LINE6 SPIDER 3 15W AMP. A whole bunch of effects for the would-be guitar hero. This baby and this guitar sound sweeeeeeeeeet in so many ways.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2011 9:34 AM BST

Toca Race Driver 3 (PC DVD)
Toca Race Driver 3 (PC DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Short of the mark, 31 Aug. 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Good Points: nice car graphics and sound. Hugely varied vehicle types. Some circuit graphics are nice (although there's a few extra trees thrown in on some circuits)and the tracks are well depicted. Bad points: Very basic car set-up menus. No credit earning system for feel of progress and to buy upgrades (upgrades are available, you have 25 units to divide between levels of upgrade. The best brakes would use up 16 units leaving you with 9 to use on something else.). Upgrades are very limited and give little tactile difference. AI isn't great. The spread of the field after just 2 laps is enormous. They rarely crash. In the world tour section you don't get to decide on AI level, or how many laps per race, leaving you with 2 or 3 lap races! Lack of circuits. It would have been great to see Silverstone, Oulton, Donnington and Brands long circuits. And the Nordschleifer.
Forca 2 is a much better game. If only it had more vehicle types and was on the PC! Crowds, trees and buildings are second rate, although the rally levels countryside is lovely.
Still got a lot to play, but I get the feeling the rest will be same old same old. RFactor anyone?

F.E.A.R. (PC CD)
F.E.A.R. (PC CD)
Offered by replay-international

4.0 out of 5 stars From the sublime to the monotonous, 2 Nov. 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F.E.A.R. (PC CD) (Video Game)
I wanted to write the review Cameron wrote. He's hit the nail smack bang on the head. At first you'll be awestruck by this game, but the thrill disipates by repetition, and the slo-mo feature offering either one extreme or the other, on is too easy, off is suicidal. And yet it kept me playing, and finding any excuse to drop whatever I was doing to carry on playing. I can't say anymore than Cam has, other than it definately is addictive, and I'm glad I bought it.

Counterfeit 2
Counterfeit 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaken to the Gore, 10 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Counterfeit 2 (Audio CD)
I love Depeche Mode and was gutted when they split prior to this album. Martin's earlier Counterfeit album wasn't all I had hoped, and I thought the days of Depeche Mode's churning and stirring melodies were to be nothing more than oft replayed albums in my collection. Nothing new to look forward to. Counterfeit 2 hit me for six. Gore at his finest, with operatic vocals that he has demonstrated at gigs but rarely on album are here to be heard, lights off, volume loud (sorry neighbours), and churn and stir to your hearts content. Mode fans will love it. Although Gore and Gahan should be sewn together at the hip for either to be complete, this album demonstrates that Gore is a singular genius. Buy a copy for everyone you know. It's unfair that some people will never hear this.