Profile for Alli > Reviews

The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010]
The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Nina Dobrev

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best US shows in years, 25 Aug 2010
I was completely hooked on this series from episode 3 when my daughter begged me to watch it with her as it was apparently "scary" ! It is one of the best shows to come out of the USA - right up alongside Lost, 24 and ER in my opinion. Yes the whole vampire "thing" is everywhere these days, but what I love about The Vampire Diaries is the story of the founding families of Mystic Falls and how the history of vampires and witches is told in flashbacks to the Civil War era. In a very clever way the writers have managed to create characters whom you immediately form opinions about in the first couple of episodes, but by the end of the series you see them in a completely different light. There are some extremely clever and witty lines, banter and humour mixed alongside fear, tragedy and some truly "jump out of your seats" moments. Cannot fault a single member of this excellent cast, but high praise indeed must go to Ian Somerhalder who plays Damon. His portrayal of this maniacal, yet loveable psychopath is acting gold.

One Moment, One Morning
One Moment, One Morning
by Sarah Rayner

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing indeed, 29 Jun 2010
I had great expectations for this book, given the reviews I read on here and in particular one reviewer who said it was for fans of Jodi Picoult. I couldn't disagree more. I was not at all impressed. Indeed I gave up a few chapters through. It just never really took off and I found it drawn-out and dismal if I am honest. Just not my cup of tea, and I cannot agree in the slightest that it was anything like Jodi Picoult's novels. It really didn't grab me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2010 7:08 AM BST

The Drowning Girl (MIRA)
The Drowning Girl (MIRA)
by Margaret Leroy

4.0 out of 5 stars you'll want to keep on reading, 21 Mar 2010
I found this book a really gripping read. I was intrigued by the whole reincarnation theory, especially as I am usually very cynical about these things. The author uses amazing descriptive text and never having been to Ireland I found myself imagining the village of Coldharbour exactly as Sylvie does. Margaret Leroy sets the scenes throughout the book brilliantly and I can truly say I was totally immersed in this story. As a parent myself however, I did find the tantrum scenes and the way Grace let her daughter get away with everything without ever scolding or punishing her very frustrating. I'm assuming this was all part of the story but I found myself wanting to shake her and teach her some parenting skills ! Highly recommended read.

The Accidental Time Traveller
The Accidental Time Traveller
by Sharon Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book ever read !!!, 9 Feb 2009
I simply LOVED this book and couldnt put it down. A brilliantly clever storyline and wonderful characters you can shut your eyes and picture. The author does the most amazing job of recreating the 1950's and painting a picture of a time when life was tougher .... and yet simpler. Very thought provoking. I have a mobile phone, a washing machine, dishwasher, car, computers, blackberry, microwave oven etc etc .... and yet never seem to have enough hours in the day. This book made me stop for a moment and just ask myself WHY?!!!!! If you read nothing else this year you simply must read this. I lost myself totally in this brilliant brilliant novel. Please Ms Griffiths write some more.