Profile for creed > Reviews

Liftmaster Aluminium LED Low Profile Quicklift Racing Trolley Jack 1.5 Ton
Liftmaster Aluminium LED Low Profile Quicklift Racing Trolley Jack 1.5 Ton
Offered by Liftmaster Garage Equipments

2.0 out of 5 stars 1.5 Tons?? I don't think so, 17 Mar. 2014
So I try and lift my (fairly hefty) car up which weighs 1.75 tons. Obviously only half of it, well 55% to be exact which is 963kg. Now if this jack is rated to 1.5 tons why is it struggling so hard to lift what should be well within it's capabilities? It's really struggling so much that I expected it to just collapse at any second. It doesn't help that the handle is extremely flimsy and bends during use. I thought the LED lights were a useful addition but one stopped working the first time I used them in anger.
On the plus side it's light and low profile but it seems flimsy so I wonder how long it will last. Definitely wouldn't not recommend trying to lift anywhere near the 1.5 ton rating with this jack if you value your vehicle or life.

Cresyn C510E Open Back In Ear Dual Chamber Aluminium Headphones / Earphones with Comply Tips
Offered by DIGITALGUY INTERNATIONAL, INC

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the money! Perfect with my Galaxy S4, 5 Jun. 2013
Was a bit dubious about buying these as there isn't much info out there about them but I found a good review on Golden Ears and they seemed to be outperforming far more expensive units (e.g. SONY MDR-EX300LP). I bit the bullet as they fitted what I was looking for which specifically was a decent low cost high impedance in ear set of phones. High impedance was very important as I shall explain. I just recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S4, their flagship smartphone. It turns out that this particular model,the I9505 Qualcomm quadcore is known for having audio crackling at moderate volumes especially with bass notes with low impedance headphones (anything less than 16 ohms). People with very expensive earphones were finding they couldn't listen to any music without significant distortion.

I had this issue with a (luckily cheap) set of Skullcandy Titans which were rated at 16 ohms. Well now with my new Cresyn 510E's not only can I play at absolutely maximum volume distortion free but they sound much much better! The bass is absolutely superb, deep and accurate. The mids are a little muddy but pretty natural and it's a similar story with the treble. That said the dynamics are excellent and the soundstage is pretty big with good stereo seperation. Honestly I didn't think the Skullcandys were that bad for cheap units but compared to these they sound awful. As a comparison I have some HD202 Sennheisers headphones on my PC and these out perform those as well in most departments except for the slightly less clear midrange.

I was worried about the fit and the sound isolation as they are half in ear types but they are actually much better than my previous fully in ear Titans. I tried the Comply memory(?) foam tips that are included supposedly for a better seal but I found they dramatically altered the sound making it really muggy and dull. It didn't improve the bass, if anything it seemed to be absorbing a large proportion of the sound these drivers produce. I went back to the normal tips straight away with no hesitation.

These aren't the be all and end all audiophile listening by any means (I own a pair of Grado GS1000i's combined with a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp for comparison) but they are really good for such a moderately priced unit. I would recommend with them no hesitation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 5:06 PM BST

Bosch Plungecut Metal Sawblade for Allrounder PMF 180 E
Bosch Plungecut Metal Sawblade for Allrounder PMF 180 E

2.0 out of 5 stars Fragile!, 17 Oct. 2012
Wasn't impressed with this blade at all. Bought to do flush cuts on SS M6 bolts but it barely makes it through 1 before going completely blunt or breaking teeth. You might as well use a hacksaw if you are intending to cut metal with it although it's good for starting the cut. The description is lacking in detail because when I looked elsewhere it said for aluminium, no good for ferrous metals then. Until Bosch bring out a proper HSS blade for cutting harder metals I will just have to stick to an old fashioned hacksaw.

Anidea
Anidea
Offered by zoverstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Anidea (Audio CD)
This is one of those rare albums I can listen too over and over, especially considering it's a dubstep record which although I love the genre, tracks can quickly become overplayed. Guido manages to avoid this because of his track structure. Everything he makes has a really melodic quality, and the way he puts it together means that it develops just like a song. It has multiple layers of melody, threaded through the high end, mid and low bass so you just don't have time to become bored. There is always a new hook or melody to catch your ear just at the right time.

If you're familiar with Joker and Gemmy you'll recognise similarities in his music, particularly the heavy reliance on those silky smooth synth melodies that has become known to be for better or worst as 'purple'. All the tracks have a really great smooth atmospheric feel to them. The title track 'Anidea' really captures the beautifully poignant mood Guido is trying to create. A minimalist but warm sound with the flowing melodies of the synth acoustic guitar punctuating the sparse rhythms over which the smooth deep sub bass holds it all together. Don't expect masses of lfo sub bass! Guido is anything but grimey and this is more for those listeners who want a more musical cerebral experience but still instantly accessible.

Guido is all about smooth, musical and soulful. Check out the vocal track 'Beautiful Complication' to get a sense of what he's about. This is liquid dubstep at it's best. The album moves from liquid sounds toward a harder more clinical darker sound toward the last few tracks with 'Tango' being most similar to a conventional dubstep track that you'd hear on a club night with it's buzzy bass, and lfo mid bass and oscillating synths. The dischordant piano chords in concert with the typical half time dubstep beat pattern give it that real dubby skanker feel. The reliance on simple catchy synth melodies reminds me of what made UKG instrumentals so popular back in the day and Guido's music has this throughout and it makes this work so accessible to all. You don't have to be a dubstep fan to like this, and I think many others will be able to appreciate this album far beyond it's expected audience.

TRIANGULATION
TRIANGULATION

5.0 out of 5 stars Woah!!!, 12 Sept. 2010
This review is from: TRIANGULATION (Audio CD)
There is just one word for this album, DEEP! This caught me seriously offguard. Scuba's someone who's tracks I've come across only once or twice before but not really given much notice. But truly this is an absolute gem. You may say blasphemy but I would put it right up there with Burial's 'Untrue'! Yeah shoot me! But I absolutely love it.

Scuba traces an epic soundscape of uncharted sonic depths. If you love artists like Burial, Martyn and 2562 you will love Scuba. His sound is sparse, ethereal but so engaging. From the floaty atmospheric 2-step sounds of 'Latch' to the techno influenced bass heavy grooves of 'Three Sided Shape'.
'Minerals' is a classic, weighty hynotic b-lines accompanied by some infectious liquidy percussive half-step rhythms. There a clear techno/electronica inspired edge to the whole ensemble but it never becomes soulless or bereft of emotion. 'Tracers' has a great rolling trancy feel to it. It just chugs relentlessly along with it's own driving energy still maintaining that uncluttered unfussy feel that defines this album. Probably the most pure techno tune on here, 'Heavy Machinery' has a really robotic electro sound to it, but still has it's own rhythmic groove to carry you along. The finale 'Lights Out' is a vast intergalactic ambient event centred around a heavy dubby bassline. It's great track to close out such an accomplished album. Scuba definitely has that hybrid euro-techno feel to all his work, but I'd say he surpasses all that have gone before him, and I don't make that statement lightly. A true masterpiece.

Above & Beyond
Above & Beyond

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed, 24 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Above & Beyond (Audio CD)
As much as I really want to like this album it's just not doing it for me. This is a distinctly average production with not one stand out tune. Nothing on there makes me go wow. It's well produced but just better than average. Even the best tracks on there don't stir the soul. 'Tonight' is probably one of the best tracks but while good just sounds like a Chase and Status clone. Surprised to see it getting 5 stars as that would indicate it's nearly perfect, imho it's not even close.

Netsky
Netsky

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but overrated, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Netsky (Audio CD)
Netsky, this man is getting a lot of hype in the dnb scene at the moment and I'd say it's pretty justified on the whole. But as an album this isn't a masterpiece by any means. Stand out tunes for me are Ironheart which is the track of the album and the sublime ethereal Rise and Shine which just epitomises what Netsky is about. The rest of the album is good and all above average but nothing that really grabs me and makes me think omg. To give it a 5 star rating it really has to have more than two tracks that give me goosebumps. A slightly disappointing 4 stars then. It's a good piece of work but it's not perfect which to Netskys credit I would have expected!

Diary of a Digital Soundboy
Diary of a Digital Soundboy
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime drum and bass with mass appeal!, 26 Oct. 2006
Ignore the drum and bass snobs. This isn't 'pop' just because it might be popular to more than just drum and bass aficionados.

Instantly grabs your attention from the start. This a classic, with the silky smooth production skills of Shy and T-power in full flight. I loved the first album but this is even better. While Set It Off had some stand out tunes Diary of a Digital Soundboy has no low points.

When this album came out the roots/dub inspired drum and bass sound was at its pinnacle and On the Run, Everyday and Lover's Rock were all highly played examples of this genre.

The rest of the album are all more similar to the first album, jazzy, vibrant and melodic all with a strong vocal element (which could explain the narrow minded 'pop' accusations).

The last tune Delta VIP is my personal favourite, a deeply soulful blues inspired track. It really showcases the versatility of these two drum and bass maestros. Until I heard it on the album I had no idea it was their work. I'd have thought it was more likely to be someone like Calibre or High Contrast.

In conclusion this is excellent album for anyone wishing to get into drum and bass with its upbeat vocally driven, highly musical production. And for drum and bass purists you'll love it too if you haven't already got it in your collection!

Set It Off
Set It Off
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome up beat drum and bass with mass appeal, 17 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Set It Off (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of D&B since the beginning, a fledging raver at 16 in '91 I've grown up with the music and watched it evolve. Very rarely do we see such a varied music style as D&B. Its definitely the most innovative music form to exist since jazz. I love it in all it's forms from the ruffest, most tearin' beats to the most soulful, melodic grooves. Theres something for everyone.
Personally I think this is one of the best D&B albums ever up there with Adam F Circles. There is not one track on the whole album that I do not like with the exception of perhaps 'Nature' which does not really fit the feel of this album. As for being too pop, there is nothing here that is not pure D&B except for the afore mentioned elephant man track and 'Calling' which has the most haunting chorus and I defy anyone to call it cheesy. 'Rising High' the only instrumental, is what most purests would accept as 'propa D&B' a very slickly produced number that shows that Shy and T have can produce conventional (if there is such a thing) drum and bass when they want too.
The vocal element really runs as a theme throughout the album and this is where Shy and T really excel, giving the album what some might describe as an R&B flavour but I think this is unfair as D&B (while predominantly instrumental) has always had its own vocal flavours perfectly exemplified here.
The melodies are infectious, the more upbeat party tunes such as 'Feeling U' and 'Shake Ur Body' are impossible to resist. You've got your more sosphisticated deep house type sounds with the sublime 'Everything' with its strong male vocals and the soulful uplifitng 'Love the Way'. This album is a real musical treat from start to finish and I never tire of rinsin' it.
This is definitely on the lighter side of D&B and more likely to appeal to non-D&B'ers as well, but just cause it ain't hard doesn't make it any less. People who can't appreciate this album just because non-D&B'ers might like it need to be a little less 'rentive, and do something about their negative attitude and stop being so up themselves.
In a music style as broad as Drum and Bass there's no room for narrow minds.
If you want to introduce someone to D&B this is the album to do it!