Profile for Dr A Cole > Reviews

Dr A Cole

ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio
ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality sound, 13 April 2014
It is exactly what I was after: good solid sound and reliable performance in the bathroom. It also looks good and is sturdy with nice big push buttons.
Contrary to some reviewers' criticism, the time display does not disappear when you turn the radio on. It may be that they changed it on newer models - nice to see that feedback is taken onboard. I am delighted with this radio. I have not had it long enough to know how long the batteries will last or how it will perform after a year or two (when my previous cheaper models have all packed up) but so far, so good.

Credere
Credere

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and perceptive but still a jolly good read, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Credere (Kindle Edition)
I found this book insightful and brimming with universal truths about the human condition and our quest for meaning and spiritual growth. However, at the same time, it was surprisingly readable with likeable and credible characters, bearing in mind its weighty subject matter. Thankfully, this is not a "worthy", didactic or earnest book which peddles the usual clichés. Instead it is a warm, occasionally funny, quirky and imaginative exploration of the afterlife. I would recommend it to people who do not consider themselves particularly religious or spiritual but are interested in exploring meaningful life after death. It could be quite comforting to think that all is not lost when we die, that there is still scope for personal development and that those who went before us are watching out for the rest of us.

Fly London Women's Etta Plumred Casual Lace Ups P801203005 5 UK
Fly London Women's Etta Plumred Casual Lace Ups P801203005 5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and they look good, 5 Feb. 2013
I like these shoes a lot. I wanted something comfortable but still stylish with a bit of a heel, and these fit the bill. I like the soft leather and burgundy colour. As usual with Fly, the sizing is quite generous, so err on the smaller rather than the larger side when you order.

Novelty TRUST ME I'M A LAWYER Cufflinks Gift Boxed
Novelty TRUST ME I'M A LAWYER Cufflinks Gift Boxed
Offered by Ajintheforest Trading Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy and nice product, 20 Jan. 2013
Nice and sturdily made, and beautifully packaged. I am sure the recipient of this gift (a trustworthy lawyer, really) will like these. Good value for money. And they arrived promptly, so pleased overall.

Fly London Women's Cool Lilla Decorative P142246002 4 UK
Fly London Women's Cool Lilla Decorative P142246002 4 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than other Fly shoes, 20 Jan. 2013
I have several pairs of Fly shoes. I am a huge fan. I normally buy Fly shoes a size smaller than my usual UK size (most reviews concur with it - Fly shoes are generously sized). However, this one was too small on the toes, so I had to return it. I was also disappointed with the colour Lila. It was greyer than expected. In the photo it looked like quite a strong purple, but it is a "tamer" dove-grey-purple. But it is a beautiful, stylish and well-made shoe.

When We Dance: A Memoir
When We Dance: A Memoir

3.0 out of 5 stars Half excellent social history, half self-justifying celebrity autobiography, 20 Jan. 2013
I bought this e-book immediately after hearing the author speak eloquently and honestly on Radio 4's Woman's Hour to promote her book. I am the same age as Melanie and grew up in South Africa in a very similar Afrikaans-speaking family. As the first and youngest ANC MP, Irish ambassador and Head of UNICEF, I have always admired her as a "Boeremeisie" done good. I was really looking forward to settling down to a good and interesting read over Christmas. Unfortunately I have very mixed feelings about this book. I really liked the first half, where she recounts the "South African" part of her life in a cool-headed, insightful and witty way. It is not the best prose I have ever encountered (English is after all her second language) but it reads well and offers some thoughtful insights into questions such as: "How do intrinsically good people turn a blind eye and even support a cruel regime such as Apartheid?" It was also a good reflection on the heady post-apartheid days and the difficulties of transforming a resistance movement into a governing party. However, that sense of perspective and balance is completely absent from the second half of the book, where she recounts her love affair with the Irish DJ and his subsequent tragic and mysterious death. I found that part really tedious and self-indulgent, and had to force myself not to put the book down where she recounted the minutiae of their last weeks together in forensic detail. Maybe it is because I don't live in Ireland, had no idea who Gerry Ryan was until I read the book, and am not particularly interested in tabloid tittle-tattle. Maybe I am asking too much so soon after her tragic loss, but I got a sense that at best this is a self-justifying and completely uncritical attempt to tell her side of the story and clear her deceased lover's name. At worst, this is a cynical attempt to cash in on the public's interest in a salacious story. My honest opinion is that she would have written a better book if she had waited a few years to get more distance. If you like the genre of celebrity autobiography or you are a disciple of Gerry Ryan, you will love the second half of this book. If, however, you expect more intelligent insights from a very bright woman with a social conscience, pulp the second part of the book.

Aftermath: On Marriage and Separation
Aftermath: On Marriage and Separation
by Rachel Cusk

1.0 out of 5 stars Adolescent navel-gazing, 28 Feb. 2012
This book should never have been published, or should have been edited ruthlessly. It read like a first draft rather than a carefully crafted book. It belongs in the realms of private diary entries, trying to make sense of an unhappy life experience. It is banal, self-justifying and sketchy. It never transcends the personal to have a more universal meaning. I found it disappointing.

Me Before You
Me Before You

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb read, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and couldn't put it down. It is beautifully written and comes highly recommended. It deals with the ethical issue of assisted suicide with great sensitivity without falling into sentimentality. I loved the way in which the author touches on class prejudice in a humourous and even-handed way. I am so pleased that I have discovered Jojo Moyes, and have already downloaded some of her other books, which I look forward to read.

"War Brides"
"War Brides"

2.0 out of 5 stars A potentially enjoyable read let down by disgracefully poor editing, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: "War Brides" (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most poorly edited books that I have ever come across. Every single page is riddled with punctuation and typing errors, not to mention some glaring and confusing continuity errors (e.g. referring to one of the charactes by her married name while she is still unmarried, which rather gives away the plot). It could have been an enjoyable read and I did stick with it to the end, but I was distracted from the plot by trying to get past the sloppiness. How do publishers and editors allow this to happen? I read the Kindle version so I am not sure if they mistakenly published an early unedited script.