Profile for J. Gillan > Reviews

Content by J. Gillan

J. Gillan (Stirlingshire, Scotland)

The Wrong People
The Wrong People

4.0 out of 5 stars The right people, 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Wrong People (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I had it on vinyl many years ago and it got stolen. I hadn't heard of it again till recently and decided on the spur of the moment to buy it. I don't usually do that, as we've all made 'impulse' buys, only to regret it later. This is especially true with many of today's 'wonder' wannabes, you 'wonder' why they bother! Anyway, this album is every bit as good as I remembered and the re-master sounds fresh, yet still balanced and everything I liked about the original has been retained. Kudos to the engineers for resisting the temptation to 'brighten' it up.

Stand out tracks for me are 'Shake Like Judy Says', 'Brilliant Minds', 'She Gets Out The Scrapbook', 'Escape into my Arms', the percussion on this album is a particular delight, as another reviewer commented on too I notice. 'Shake Like Judy Says', has fantastic trumpet playing and great instrumentation across the board. Fantastic production values too for a relatively unknown group (at the time), sigh... where are their likes today?

If you only enjoy four or five of the tracks, that's
still more enjoyment per pound/dollar etc., on many of today's releases. You'll play it often, Buy it!

Live At Montreux 2003 [Blu-ray] [2008]
Live At Montreux 2003 [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Jethro Tull
Offered by FLASH

3.0 out of 5 stars Jethro Tull on Blu-Ray, at last!, 18 April 2014
As a long time fan of Jethro Tull (since 1969) and having seen them many times and introduced many friends to their musical good taste, then it comes as a bit of a disappointment to tell you that, this was a little bit of a let down. The band are in good fettle, although sadly, Ian himself was vocally, sounding a little tired. The set list wasn't particularly inspired either, although with a band that's been going for as long as they have, it must be difficult to choose what to play and inevitably some people will be as disappointed as I was. Nothing from 'A', 'Stormwatch', 'Heavy Horses' or 'Broadsword and the Beast' for example, which for me, is among the very finest of their (or anybody else's!) musical art. Some songs from their other albums are also indispensable too.

If you've already purchased the Jethro Tull DVD of 'Living With The Past' (from the same era), then that's an altogether better DVD, with good extras, even though some of the same tracks (and the same clothes), make an appearance, you do, at least get an acoustic set with the former members of Tull as well. So musically more interesting too.

Still, it's good to have them on Blu-Ray, but come on lads a bit of extra rehearsal and a nice long Blu-Ray covering more of the back catalogue to show the youngsters what a great band should sound like would be nice!

So till then 'Cheerio'.

Fugazi [Bonus Disc]
Fugazi [Bonus Disc]

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Fugazi [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
If you're considering this CD, then purchase with confidence, as it's every bit as good as my old Vinyl version and I consider this Album along with Script For A Jesters Tear, to be the definitive Marillion. Should be in every music lover's collection, simply a classic album. Go oh... you deserve it!

Emotion & Commotion
Emotion & Commotion
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeff & Co at their best, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Emotion & Commotion (Audio CD)
Having purchased Performing This Week - Live At Ronnie Scott's and Rock 'N' Roll Party - Honouring Les Paul on Blu-Ray, I thought I would give this a go and was delighted I did, as this for me, suits my musical tastes perfectly and is the perfect compliment to those Blu-Rays.

The music is diverse and well recorded and the appearance of Imelda May, Joss Stone and Olivia Safe are icing on a very nice cake!

Stand out tracks? I enjoyed them all, not a duff track, every one pure gold, but I would take Imelda's version of Lilac Wine and Elegy for Dunkirk to my desert island. If you like music, you will appreciate this, buy it and enjoy it, albums like this come along all too infrequently these days.

Sawdust in My Veins
Sawdust in My Veins

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sawdust in My Veins (Audio CD)
If you only ever buy one James Grant CD, then this is it. Sublime from start to finish, every track has something special and, I assure you, this is an Album you will return to again-and-again.

For me, the stand out tracks are: Pray The Dawn, Sawdust in My Veins and the exquisite, This is The Last Time. That's not to diminish the other tracks, as I would love to have written any of them myself! Simply a stunning Album and my own personal favourite CD of James'.

Try to get hold of the acoustic version of 'Walk The Last Mile', with Karen Matheson sharing the vocal duties and a haunting Cello line going through it too. Some other acoustic tracks of old (and new) favourites were available on the James Grant Web Site, last time I looked. FREE!

Something to savour in the quiet hours of the evening...like I said at the beginning...sublime!

Absolutely Live [DVD] [2007]
Absolutely Live [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ George Benson

5.0 out of 5 stars George Benson at his very best, 25 May 2011
This review is from: Absolutely Live [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This review is based on the DVD version, as sadly no Blu-Ray exists for this sublime performance by George Benson, which was filmed live at the Waterfront Hall in Belfast.
What can you say about a man who's been a star for decades? This live performance is 'absolutely' top notch and is one of my very top favourite concerts to listen to never mind watch!

I love all the tracks on this DVD, and when you consider George's vast back catalogue, it has to be a huge complement indeed to say, that virtually any of his songs/tunes would have pleased me, especially if this was the standard I got in return for my cash.

The tracks on this DVD give a very fair insight into the man and his music, and I would thoroughly recommend this DVD if you've liked any of his previous work.
The DVD also features Joe Sample, the BBC Big Band and musicians from the Ulster Orchestra, as well as George's own band.

The picture quality and the sound are well up (for a standard definition DVD), and indeed compare well to other Blu-Ray Discs I've purchased where the picture quality was not much better.

For the purists out there, I use a Samsung LED HDTV and a Sony 3D Blu-Ray player for the visuals and the music is fed to my valve amps and Anthony Gallo Speakers via a dCS Elgar DAC, with a Yamaha Receiver used for the Centre and Surround speakers.

The Standard 2 channel audio mix is excellent on this DVD and the 5.1 mix is also very good (indeed I enjoy both equally). If your looking for a DVD to completely chill out to, and with the price on Amazon now under £5.00, buy it, you'll be glad you did.

If Eagle Vision are listening, please, please release a Blu-Ray version, I would buy it even if it cost £25.00.

Concierto de Aranjuez
Concierto de Aranjuez

4.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Version of the Aranjuez, 6 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Concierto de Aranjuez (Audio CD)
This recording still remains a personal favourite of mine and despite more recent versions being technically superior, and even re-issues such as the John Williams version with Daniel Barenboim and the ECO (An analogue recording from the 1970's) appearing on SACD, remains so.

I can only echo the comments made by the other reviewer above and also urge you to buy this version, even if you already own the John Williams and/or the Julian Bream interpretation, as this performance gives greater insight into the Concierto De Aranjuez particularly than either of the other two performers I've mentioned here.

Listen with a good pair of headphones, or on a well set-up Hi-Fi and you will be rewarded with a truly enjoyable performance on many levels, that I find truly satisfying.

If ever there was a case of a recording that would be benefit from a new DSD master this is it.

When this CD was first issued, it was a definite 5 stars for vituosity, and although it's still the best performance of Rodrigo's Concierto De Aranjuez by a considerable distance, sound wise it isn't on a par with say a BIS or Dorian Recording, even of the same period.

For that reason only I've marked it down a star. But don't let that put you off!

Dances With Wolves [Blu-ray] [1990] [Region Free]
Dances With Wolves [Blu-ray] [1990] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the German Version on Blu-Ray, 3 Dec. 2009
Unlike several of the other reviewers here, after watching the Directors cut of this movie many times, I don't want to accept the shorter edited version. I don't have a short attention span and where a movie grips your attention throughout the entire length of it (Like DWW does), I for one don't want it to end!

For what it's worth, the transfer to Blu-Ray is excellent, the sound likewise, but I agree with those people who've stated their preference for the three disc standard definition DVD, as being their favourite in terms of extras.

So in conclusion and for the time being, I would also recommend the German Version on Blu-Ray, as this is the best current version on that format to buy.

Amazon get your facts right, this is the one real gripe I have about your service; often the information is woefully inaccurate or indeed often gives the wrong information on running times etc. Also, there is no excuse for ever getting the region wrong and although HD DVD's are region free, Blu-Rays and SDVD's are not - sadly:-{
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2012 3:15 PM BST

Quiet Nights
Quiet Nights

1.0 out of 5 stars Krall Crawls through a 'nice' collection, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
Right away I'll lay my cards on the table and say that I prefer Diana Krall's more uptempo number's and the simpler more direct arrangements of songs like 'Peel Me A Grape', so when I say I'm a little disappointed with this, then you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Krall is going through the motions here, buy Melody Gardot's latest album instead My One And Only Thrill, for a listen to someone, whom I hope, will be even bigger than MS Krall.

If you like a lot of these classic Jazz songs, I would highly recommend that, you get Carol Kidd's versions instead. Much better interpretations and every song of Carol's is sung with real affection and warmth, a consummate performer too, try to catch her live. Songs that, I had previously ranked a little less, took on new meaning when seeing them performed live by Carol.

The Berlin Concert [Blu-ray] [2008]
The Berlin Concert [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Domingo

5.0 out of 5 stars A great live performance, 29 Oct. 2009
This has become one of my favourite live performance Opera Blu-Ray DVD's. If you're thinking of buying this DVD then purchase it now, you will be glad you did.

Too many times the picture quality and the sound seem to be the only things people on Amazon (and elsewhere) care about, rarely is the performance or the actual cinematography taken into account. However, whilst the former are important to your overall enjoyment, the performance itself is still paramount in my opinion, especially of older recordings where techniques were often poor (especially the visuals), but that, in no way belittle's the performances.

For the record though the picture, the sound and the performances here, as well as the direction are all excellent.

The Blu-Ray DVD was not shot in 1080p (just 1080i) and this is disappointing, as I feel BD should only be available in 1080p 24 frames a second, with accompanying HD Audio, otherwise what's the point in having HD at all?

The sound on this BD though, is still a vast improvement over the standard DVD and takes you closer to the performances (which is what it's all about), so even if you've got the standard DVD version, I would still urge you to purchase this BD version as, it's better quality in every respect.

However, it's the overall quality that needs to be taken into consideration here and this BD gets played regularly as, the overall quality is very high indeed, unlike the Rolling Stones BD...great sound and picture, but someone should have told Mick and co to rehearse a little more...and don't get me started on the 'direction'.

I have always enjoyed listening to Placido Domingo, but on the strength of this BD, I have also purchased a great deal of Anna Netrebko's and Rolando Villazon's recorded output - and enjoyed them all!

The venue was also a 'STAR' of this production and the contrast between this BD and the aforementioned Stones BD couldn't be more marked.

Very highly recommended then and I've purchased several copies of this now, as gifts for friends of mine, who enjoyed it when I let them see it and made 'Opera' converts of them!

For the purists amongst you (And I know there's one or two out there!), I viewed this BD on my Sony BDP S350 through a 1080p HD Projector (80" screen) and also on a 50" Samsung 1080p plasma. The sound is listened to mainly through my Arcam 7.1 Amp (For movies)and also on my Lumley Valve amps (120 valve watts per channel), through the Anthony Gallo Reference 3's speakers and surrounds.