Profile for Jan > Reviews

Content by Jan

Jan

The Unquiet Heart (DANNY MCRAE SERIES Book 2)
The Unquiet Heart (DANNY MCRAE SERIES Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric post WW2 novel, 8 Sep 2014
I am really enjoying the Danny McRae series,full of atmosphere for 40's London. I grew up in 50's London, bombsites and rationing was very much in evidence then. It was a time of making do, but even then there was much corruption going on with the have and have nots. My father a returning POW found it hard to adjust to normal life and I think Gordon Ferris had captured all of this very well. I can well remember my parents being very anxious about Israel and the conflicts going on in and around the middle east. Nothing had chances. I read the Douglas Brodie series first and went back and reread the book where both Danny and Douglas appear and it made so much more sense and tied up loose ends in my mind. Please keep on writing Mr Ferris, I love your books.

Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie series Book 4)
Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gallowglass, 1 July 2014
I have really liked this series, set in 1946/47 just after the war it highlights the problems of returning servicemen, their inability in some cases to settle back to "normal life"' rationing and the aftermath of the conflicts fought and still on going. I think a cross between The 39 steps and James Bond with compassion and love interest thrown in sums it up well. I do hope this is not the last book as I think Gordon Ferris is doing a cracking job. On first reading this series I thought this was a book written in the 1950s/60s and reprinted, as portrays the era so well.

Broken Angels (Katie Maguire Book 2)
Broken Angels (Katie Maguire Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Dec 2013
I loved this book as I did the previous one, disturbing but with a ring of truth, hopefully there will more in this series.

Exit Music (Inspector Rebus Book 17)
Exit Music (Inspector Rebus Book 17)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 6 Oct 2013
Rebus doesn't dissapoint. I love these novels and really hope this isn't his last foray into the world of crime solving.

The Disenchanted Widow
The Disenchanted Widow

2.0 out of 5 stars Disenchanted reader, 6 Oct 2013
Find it difficult to get into. Beginning had promise but struggling to read and enjoy it. Characters not endearing themselves to me.

Garden Design
Garden Design

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Garden Design (App)
I thought it would be a book with plans and pictures of designs but sadly it is not. It seems to be more of a blog. I find it extremely hard to navigate and have therefore given up using it. I will probably delete it.