Profile for Tom > Reviews

Content by Tom

Tom (London, UK)

The New London Property Guide 2005/2006: The Only Guide You Need to Buying and Selling,Renting and Letting Homes in London (Mitchell Beazley Reference)
by Carrie Segrave

5.0 out of 5 stars A very very useful reference, 17 Feb. 2013
What a shame it's seemingly out of print now....? I can't understand why, unless it's being replaced by an electronic version.

LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch - Black
LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing high powered mini torch, 17 Feb. 2013
The perfect pocket torch. Amazingly bright, well built, economical and useful. I wish it had a handlebar clip so I could attach it to my bike also!

Buffett: The Biography (Duckworth)
Buffett: The Biography (Duckworth)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 17 Feb. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about a modern, single-minded genius. I found the section on Salomon's a bit over-long, it almost felt like a book within a book. Overall, highly recommended though.

5 Star Portrait Slim 2013 Week to View Diary - Black
5 Star Portrait Slim 2013 Week to View Diary - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pocket diary, 17 Feb. 2013
Its the right size, does what you need it to and is cheap also. What more is there to say?!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sturdy iPad3 case at good price, 9 Jun. 2012
The title of my review pretty much sums up my thoughts! The unit fully encases the iPad, and has a sturdy well-made feel. The iPad3 is held very snugly. It comes with a plastic screen protector and a little pen type thing (which I have not used yet). A friend of mine ordered one for his iPad2 as soon as he saw mine this week. Thats good enough recommendation at a price of £20 or so!

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars A publishing phenomenon!, 3 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
Lin slowly stirred and opened one eye. An eye that had seemed closed to the world for an eternity. Had it all been a strange dream? As he languidly regained consciousness, he felt a dull ringing pain in the frontal lobes of his brain. It was the ache of a colossal 930 pages. The ache of battling on, dragging tormented readers kicking and screaming through acres of unedited ('and unnecessary' Nazeer would probably growl!) literary wilderness. The ache of, well you get the picture!

Had it been worth it, I asked myself? Ultimately I felt that the right thing had been done for the wrong reason. However, I imagined Khader sitting opposite me now. In his cross-legged position, teasing that silver white beard with those wizened fingers. His sagacity bearing down on me, as a father admonishes his son. He would have ruefully shaken his head at my self indulgence. Such verbosity in type ran contrary to his theory of complexity in the universe. As such, I had surely done the wrong thing for the right reason? These confusing thoughts disturbed me, and I started to long for the allure of the opium den once more.

Propping myself upright, I leant against the weathered hulk of an ageing wooden fisherman's skiff that was semi buried in the dirty sand of Chowpatty. As I gazed into the restless waves of the Arabian Sea, I reminisced about the battle that had left me marooned, foetal-like, on this deserted stretch. Through the searing pain imposed by others, I had actually grinned and laughed as I was tortured by guards and attackers! I had gone on to beat and maim dozens of Bombay's toughest, and could fully justify it. Was I the toughest sensitive guy in history? Madame Zhou had accused me of having a god complex when I first encountered Rajan. At this suggestion, tears of ecstasy had formed rivulets on my prison scarred face. How preposterous! Little could her feeble mind comprehend that I was of course the second coming of Christ! Armed only with my fighter's thesaurus shoved firmly into the natural scabbard of my buttocks.

Greedy waves continued to feast on the shoreline. Waves that had seen Bombay in all its guises. Waves that mirrored the stars in uncaring apathy. Waves that....well you get the picture! And I wondered whether all those pages of descriptive narrative had really been justified. Or should that be justifiable? As I pondered, I recounted an exchange at Leopold's. "To write about our Island City, that is a sign of devotion. But to be devoted to Bombay, thats surely the mark of a fool, non?!" drawled Didier in his staccato french accent, as he downed his 92nd whiskey of the evening. The irritating european pseudo intellectuals around him, gazing into his alcoholic eyes in rapturous sycophancy. "Shut up Didier!" Karla had retorted, across the bar. Her wondrous green eyes shimmering like emeralds of incomparable beauty. Eyes that.... no sorry, I can't! "Didier, you told our Lin that to write demonstrates wisdom" Karla went on. "But the truly wise know when its time to stop writing". Karla always knew when to stop. To stop being a writer. To stop being likeable. To stop, er, wittering on! "Wisdom comes from the word. But the word also comes from wisdom" Karla continued meaninglessly, as she raised an aloof eyebrow slightly archly to the group, and felt rather smug with her clever literary device.

As these thoughts echoed in my numbed skull, they mixed with the mellifluous sonets of the sea birds circling high overhead. I almost did not hear the small taxi draw up nearby (This, despite being the best at virtually everything known to man, as well as a few things reserved solely for the divine). It was Prabu. Trusty, dear Prabu with the smile that would put warmth into even the coldest hearts, well apart from Karla's maybe. As he dragged my weary self into his taxi, I decided that it HAD been worth it. Why else would it sell so well and merit such absurd levels of feedback and even the odd pastiche or two? It HAD been worth it, despite everything. As the cab circled back towards the sea road and returned me to the familiar cosiness and warmth of the slum chai shop, I allowed myself a wry smile. "You will write a sequel, isn't it, Linbaba?" shouted Prabu, over the roar of the underpowered two stroke engine. His smile a crescent of ivory white moon radiating the night sky of his round face. (A face that had first welcomed me to Bombay, a face that had tried to teach me humility, a face that.....blah blah). "It is! Indeed I shall, Prabu-brother" I yelled back in Marathi in my tough voice. "But only after I finish penning the prequel" I added, and we both erupted into laughter as the small vehicle's lights merged with the teeming eternal traffic of my adopted homeland.

Yale Small Sized Electronic Home Safe with LCD screen
Yale Small Sized Electronic Home Safe with LCD screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed, 31 Oct. 2011
This small safe is perfect for the price. It is extremely easy to set up and function, and is very similar to what you would get in a hotel room. I doubt it is the most robust or fireproof item but you would not expect that for £30! I don't have any "valuables" as such but wanted a good place to store important items such as my passport.

The safe has bolt holes on the back and the base to allow it to be secured to something solid.

Delivery was rapid and efficient, and as I was out the order was left at my local post-office for collection.

Recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2012 3:38 PM GMT

New. 5 Star 2012 Pocket Diary Slim Week to View Portrait 70gsm W80xH160mm Black
New. 5 Star 2012 Pocket Diary Slim Week to View Portrait 70gsm W80xH160mm Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket diary, 31 Oct. 2011
This is an excellent, simple pocket diary. It is well made and good quality and runs up to mid Feb 2013. It contains a few bits of extra information such as public holidays and a tube map.

For £2 you can't go wrong.

Visconti Brown Messenger Bag / Briefcase for the Office - Mud - 18797
Visconti Brown Messenger Bag / Briefcase for the Office - Mud - 18797
Offered by The Real Handbag Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent item, 25 May 2009
Having needed a fairly smart messenger type back for a while, I was surprised to find that Amazon sold them. This product is very well made, smart and sturdy. Its not a huge bag, but has enough room for a few books, an A4 pad, a newspaper and a few sundries quite comfortably though. There are a lot of discreet pockets in the bag too, which are handy for squirrelling away various bits and pieces. The quality and price are far better than anything I could find in the West End (of London) and the order was delivered extremely promptly - just two days. All in all, highly recommended.