Profile for Genevieve Tang > Reviews

Content by Genevieve Tang

Genevieve Tang (Strasbourg, France)

Zyliss No Need To Peel Susi 3 Garlic Press
Zyliss No Need To Peel Susi 3 Garlic Press
Price: 9.59

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for a garlic juicer, 26 Aug 2014
I hate to be a kill joy but this doesn't do the job for me. I've previously owned 2 Ikea ones, each lasting for about 5 years and costing half of what the Zyliss cost. I've been happy with those but I just decided to 'upgrade' when the last one broke.
This arrived yesterday and I've used it three times - without skin. It was a bit harder to squeeze it close but when it did, it juiced the garlic first before any garlic came out, thus sending spluttering oil all over. Also, all three times, the plastic thingy for cleaning fell into my pan. Then cleaning it wasn't a cinch as it was suppose to be. The attached cleaning thing was a well intended idea but the press left so much stuff stuck inside that it took me so long to clean it out anyway. Good thing about it was that I didn't have to go looking for a toothpick to push out all that garlic bits stuck in each and every hole. I really want to love this. I mean, this product has so many 5 star reviews! Guess I think I'll be making a trip to Ikea very soon.

Fulton Magnum Auto Men's Umbrella Black One Size
Fulton Magnum Auto Men's Umbrella Black One Size
Price: 18.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Not blown away... in a good way., 18 May 2014
I bought this last year just because the brand has good reviews. I only carry an umbrella if it's a little more than a light drizzle and it doesn't get much heavier than that, so of course the umbrella does what it's suppose to do. Shield me from the rain. I expect it to do so of course, so I couldn't say I was exceptionally impressed with it... until a few days ago. While walking back with my 4-year old, who had her little pink My little pony umbrella, it started to pour. Like really pour, with some mother of all gust of winds. Very soon, people walking around me all had their umbrellas flip, one by one including my girl's. Except mine. :) It held strong and albeit a bit wobbly in the wind, it did me proud and just held strong. At that moment I was just so thankful I bought the umbrella when I did - I was able to rescue my daughter and fix her umbrella. That said, it has a good width but I'm not giving it 5 stars because it's a little too long when folded for my liking. But of course, given how it's so wide when opened, the length was necessary. And why is this called a men's umbrella?

Tala Number Cutters, Set of 9
Tala Number Cutters, Set of 9
Price: 7.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes but no but yes, 20 Sep 2013
I've always been satisfied with Tala's product. Not the very best, but it's ok for the price. However for this particular product, the quality is irregular. Just like the number 5 - irregular. Someone got lazy at the factory and just flipped over the number 2 for this and it's really awful. Anyway, I bought this product specifically for my daughter's 4th birthday and of course with my kind of luck, the most disappointing number in this lot had to be the number 4. It doesn't have that middle bit cut out at all. Why? If the 0, 6 and 8 were able to have those extra metal bits fitted in to cut out the middle holes, why doesn't the 4 have it as well? That said, I think the other numbers look really good. I can't wait to use them but I guess it'll have to wait till my daughter's 6th birthday.

DYMO JNR EMBOSSED LABEL MAKER ADHESIVE EMBOSSER & TAPE
DYMO JNR EMBOSSED LABEL MAKER ADHESIVE EMBOSSER & TAPE
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 15 Oct 2012
I had wonderful memories of using a Dymo embosser as a child. So I wanted to get something similar to use with my kids but I ended up being very sorely disappointed with it. I have only made 3 name labels with it and it took me around 30 minutes. I spent so much time fiddling with it just trying to get the tape to feed. I wasted much more length of tape than I had the labels. And when it did feed, the letters were not properly aligned, I suppose that's ok because when I bought this, I already knew I wasn't going to get beautifully embossed labels. That's the irony of it... I didn't mind it looking grungy. So you're not going to get something professional looking. Just arty, rustic perhaps. Provided you can get the tape to feed. Overall, this was just a waste of time and money. I got so angry I threw the piece of rubbish away.

Kitchen Craft Let's Make Gingerbread Man Digital Timer
Kitchen Craft Let's Make Gingerbread Man Digital Timer
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 7 Sep 2011
I really wasn't expecting much when I purchased this. I just thought it was cute and I needed a new kitchen timer. However, right from the start - I got very annoyed with this product. The plastic packing was hard to remove. When it did come off, the digits were not very clear, almost going on and off, depending on where you apply pressure (like the buttons). As if it had been sat on and the screen wasn't right. Anyway, it worked only once or twice, before the digits could not be read at all. I thought it was the battery, but it wasn't. It could be that I was just unlucky and received a faulty piece. Anyway, it was rubbish and an absolute waste of money.

Skypak 90L Folding Travel Bag - Black
Skypak 90L Folding Travel Bag - Black
Offered by Low Cost Luggage Ltd
Price: 19.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we needed!, 7 Sep 2011
We purchased this for a recent overseas shopping trip when we knew we would come back with much much more. It was very flat and light when folded but onced opened and filled up, the bag was surprisingly sturdy and was able to contain about 20kg of items. It held up very well even when checked in. Does what it's suppose to do very well.

The New Children's Encyclopedia
The New Children's Encyclopedia
by No Named Authorship
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help children understand the world around us!, 26 Feb 2010
My 8-year old recently started coming home from school with lots of intelligent questions. We thought it was then time to introduce to her some serious reading besides the usual princesses and fairies stuff. I took a chance on this encyclopedia mainly because of its publisher. However, once we got it, we found it to be very well done with beautiful pictures, graphs and illustrations to further pique our daughter's (and ours..) curiosity. It's categorised by topics and extremely easy to search, read and understand. Now, my daughter has knowledge from the world wars to the black hole! She brought it to school for show and tell yesterday and everyone in class loved it.