Profile for Josh > Reviews

Great machine

Petals on the Path
Petals on the Path

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy listening, 28 Jun 2012
This review is from: Petals on the Path (Audio CD)
The last Ottmar Liebert I bought was his 1990 "Nouveau Flamenco" so I wondered how goes it 20 years on. The answer is: very laid back. I prefer the earlier offering, it has more spark, but "Petals on the Path" is ok for background chillout.

Red Dust & Spanish Lace
Red Dust & Spanish Lace
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Percussion vs acoustic, 28 Jun 2012
This review is from: Red Dust & Spanish Lace (Audio CD)
First time I've bought anything by Acoustic Alchemy. This is their first album (I think). I expected just two guitars playing; I find the percussion element sometimes overpowering.

Getzgilberto  Sacd
Getzgilberto Sacd

1.0 out of 5 stars Getz Gilberto SACD, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Getzgilberto Sacd (Audio CD)
BEWARE, This in an SACD format CD. I can't play it. My wife bought me this, but I can't even load it onto my up-to-date computer, or a new car with brand new CD player. Sony don't even seem to support this playing format any longer. I don't know why Amazon are selling it without a CLEAR WARNING that you need some specialist hi-fi reading/decoding download and/or gismo to play it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 12:03 PM GMT

Short and Sweet: 101 Very Short Poems (Faber Poetry)
Short and Sweet: 101 Very Short Poems (Faber Poetry)
by Simon Armitage

5.0 out of 5 stars Start here ..., 12 July 2010
I have many poetry books, 50% classics, 50% anthologies.
The anthology "Short and Sweet: 101 Very Short Poems" is the best I have read in many a year and has revived my interest in poetry. With a brilliant introduction, the selection cuts straight to the heart of the essence of poetry. I read the anthology backwards (ie: from the shortest poem {no lines, just a title} to the longest {13 lines}) to test my attention span and also get a feel for my personal preference of an optimum length of a poem (the poems longer than 8-9 lines started to feel a bit 'padded out').
If you've never read any poetry, I recommend start here with "Short & Sweet" ... or if poetry has become mundane for you, then re-start with same.