Profile for Geoff Dreft > Reviews

Content by Geoff Dreft

Geoff Dreft "Geoff" (East Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Complete Book of the SR-71: The Complete Book of the SR-71 Blackbird/The Illustrated Profile of Every Aircraft, Crew, and Breakthrough of the World's Fastest Stealth Jet
by Richard Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing so far, 10 Jan. 2016
Never judge a book by its cover: instead, turn to pages 227 and 228. This is what I did as soon as I got the book, having spent many years visiting Mildenhall and hoping for a glimpse, or even better a photo, of a Blackbird. The chapter on Det 4 operations would undoubtedly be of greatest interest. On page 227 I am informed correctly that an SR-71 landed at Farnborough Air Show in September 1974. I know this, as I saw it land. Turning to page 228, I see two pictures claiming to be taken at Farnborough 1975 - there was no air show that year, yet the inscription under the first picture repeats the error. Returning to page 227, the text ends with a complete sentence yet page 228 starts with the continuation of a sentence - where is the missing start?

Have a look at page 190 as well. To illustrate a comment about Blackbirds operating with RAF NImrods, we are shown a photo of a Nimrod MR4A. Did the prototype 4A get to fly with the Blackbird? Unlikely, as the 4A flew for the first time 14 years after the Blackbird retired.

For such an apparently impressive book, to find such simple errors within two minutes of opening it, can only be described as disappointing. I am sure I will dip into it again and learn about the Blackbird but I will always wonder how much I can rely on what I am told.

Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball - Graphite [UK Model]
Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball - Graphite [UK Model]

2.0 out of 5 stars not for arthritic thumbs?, 8 Nov. 2015
Couldn't get on with it at all. I have slight arthritis in my thumb and thought this might be better than a mouse but it turned out the other way. I struggled but couldn't imagine the controls would ever become second nature, so it went back.

Stellus Contesa WL PC with LED Bulb - Stainless Steel Outdoor Wall Light with Dusk to Dawn Sensor (Photocell)
Offered by Lumena Lights

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it looks, 8 Nov. 2015
Very fiddly to fix to wall - dropped one screw and haven't seeing since. For the price, not as substantial as I had hoped and, for an outside light, showing early signs of rust discolouration

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know you're wearing them, 8 Nov. 2015
Really comfy summer shoes, incredibly light, good grip, nice look. Will be buying more.

Joseph Joseph Can-Do Compact Can Opener - White/Green
Joseph Joseph Can-Do Compact Can Opener - White/Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a can opener, 8 Nov. 2015
There are several one star reviews, where users have had experience similar to mine, namely that it simply doesn't work. It is a badly designed, badly made bit of green and white plastic that somehow got labelled as a can opener. It clearly belongs nowhere near a can and should be left on display on a kitchen shelf, flaunting its green-ness, which is quite attractive. I shall have to make sure I only get cans with pull rings attached in future.

TTS 3WCR30 Cree XP-G2 LED 2.0 to 3.2V, 220 lumen Universal LED Bulb for 2d or 2c Cell Torch

4.0 out of 5 stars Someone recommended this for my raging Magnate, 8 Nov. 2015
Someone recommended this for my raging Magnate, which I don't use very often. I could have ignored the advice but thought I'd see if it made a difference and was amazed at how bright it is. Great use of technology.

SHENNOSI® 3D Glow LED Lamp - Art Sculpture Lights Up in Produces Unique Lighting Effects and 3D Visualization Amazing Optical Illusion (Hot air balloon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 8 Nov. 2015
Saw something similar in the shop at MoMA, New York. Was tempted to buy but put off by the price - $120 upwards. This looks exactly the same at a fraction of the price and gives off a lovely glow in a dimly lit room. Perfect.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Storage Bag
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Storage Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars ... with the Aero Press but not 100 per cent satisfied that I'm using it right - as soon as ..., 23 Jun. 2015
I'm getting on alright with the Aero Press but not 100 per cent satisfied that I'm using it right - as soon as I park the plunger on top of the main unit, the water disappears with minimal effort and I wonder if it goes too quickly - even with hardly any pressure being applied. That said, the coffee tastes great and it's easy to clean, store, etc.

Hario Acrylic Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs
Hario Acrylic Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my fitness work out, 23 Jun. 2015
Great addition to my fitness work out. I have to alternate arms but that adds to the fun. It's really no big deal having to operate this by hand and the results appear to be worth it. Also, it's fairly compact, looks good and doesn't appear to need much cleaning. Much better than running an electric motor for twenty seconds every morning.

TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router (2.4 GHz 300Mbps, 5 GHz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Media/Print Server)

1.0 out of 5 stars which does a good job and set itself up with no fuss, 23 Jun. 2015
If you want plug and play, look elsewhere. Neither I, my 21 year old tech-savvy son or the help desk at my ISP could work out the set-up instructions, so it's back to the free router supplied by the ISP, which does a good job and set itself up with no fuss. Shame, as I fancied seeing if everything went super fast with the help of the TP unit, but there are only so many hours in the day to spend plugging and un-plugging cables.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2015 11:55 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2