Profile for justg > Reviews

Mud, Sweat and Tears: An Irish Woman's Journey of Self-Discovery
by Moire O'Sullivan
Price: 7.74

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 1 April 2013
A really inspirational book. Despite the 5 dozen typos, reading this book made me get off my arse and stop moaning about having to run 20k after a crap night's sleep - she puts things into perspective for me and that is exactly what I'm looking for when I look to read a motivational running book. I relate to a lot of things she talks about and her self effacing approach to her writing is quite humbling considering her amazing achievements. I would recommend this book, especially to women - inspirational, thanks Moire!

Hama Eco Case for iPhone 4 - Brown/Nature
Hama Eco Case for iPhone 4 - Brown/Nature

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 17 Mar 2013
I've been looking for an iPhone case with an 'antiqued' look and this was ideal. The leather is good quality. Really pleased with purchase.

1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
by Dawn DeVries Sokol
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - so enriching I can't get enough, 31 Oct 2011
There is something so satisfying about looking at other artists sketchbook journals, it provides such a great insight into other people's minds, their motivation, deepest fears, thoughts, hopes and inspirations. If you are stuck for ideas on how to start a sketchbook then this book is amazing. I cannot rate it enough. It is reassuring in its content, and so packed full of information for the senses I love reading this in bed and going to sleep dreaming up my next artistic ventures. An inspirational read, I am buying this again for someone as a Christmas present I was so impressed.

Baby's First Skills
Baby's First Skills
by Miriam Stoppard

2.0 out of 5 stars Making a book from what could have been conveyed in a leaflet, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Baby's First Skills (Paperback)
This book has extremely large font in order to fill the pages. The information is so basic it could quite easily have been conveyed in an information booklet and not a book. If you know nothing about baby's skills, for example what 'motor' development means then perhaps it is useful but generally provides no indepth insight into the developmental milestones of a baby's first skills. From a psychological perspective it is limited. However, it does provide some farily good activities to play with baby at different ages which are quite easy to extend on.

Baby & Child Healthcare: The Essential A-Z Home Reference to Children's Illnesses, Symptoms and Treatments
by Miriam Stoppard

2.0 out of 5 stars Politically incorrect with very little information, 31 Oct 2011
This is a big book with not a lot of information in. I have purchased a lot of other Miriam Stoppard books but don't think that this is one of the best. Most of the infromation on different childhood illnesses and health problems is very basic. Also, as a previous dyslexia assesor and tutor I was amazed to find dyslexia in this book alongside other ill health problems (?) I immediately felt like I was reading a book from the 1980s. It is books like this that outline dyslexia as a problem that contribute to people's negative perceptions about it in society and identify it as a 'problem'. Dyslexia is simply a different way of thinking, learning and approaching problem solving which becomes identifiable in formal education because of the way the curriculum is constructed. In summary, I don't think this book is worth the money.

What is Art? (Penguin Classics)
What is Art? (Penguin Classics)
by Leo Tolstoy
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective on art, 31 Oct 2011
You definitely get more out of this book if you have a background understanding of philosophy, religion, psychology and sociology. It is hard going (not my usual bedtime read) and I've never read any of Tolstoy's books but was told that this was a good starter before progressing onto War and Peace. I found this really interesting, it changes your perspective on the way you view art in society forever. Like many things, it is socially constructed. Contributes to me developing a more objective opinion about the world in which we live in.

Chicco Soft Keys Teething Toy
Chicco Soft Keys Teething Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile teething toy, 31 Oct 2011
This is good as a teething toy as not only does it allow your baby to chew on the various different coloured keys but as a toy it is interesting for them to play with. The keys are quite wide but I suppose they are designed like that to stop baby from choking. I do find that you get a lot of dribble with baby when chewing on these for that reason though!

Splash About Kids Happy Nappy Liners - White
Splash About Kids Happy Nappy Liners - White
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 31 Oct 2011
I don't really get these. I may as well have dired out some wet wipes and they would have served the same purpose as this is exactly what these are, dried out wet wipes in a packet.

Splash About Kids Reusable Swim Happy Nappy - Navy/Blue Lagoon Stripe Rib, X-Large, 12-24 Months
Offered by Funswim Ltd
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical but get a large size for a bigger baby, 31 Oct 2011
Having a big baby (9kg at 5 months old) I was unsure which size to get. Having read other reviews I decided to get the XL one. These are obviously still very long in the body for my baby but fit fine around the legs and tummy. They do not need to be completely skin tight on baby for them to work well as mine are a bit 'baggy', so long as they fit well on the legs and waist.

Enamelling (Jewellery Handbooks)
Enamelling (Jewellery Handbooks)
by Ruth Ball
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with beautiful pieces to inspire any jeweller, 31 Oct 2011
This book is both practical and beautiful and as a jewellery student I continually refer back to it when designing enamel work. It provides some brilliant contextual references which is just what I look for in a book as you want to be inspired by the technique and this is only possible with some good examples. Some beautiful photos of enamelled pieces and all the info on enamelling you need to get started.

Page: 1 | 2