Profile for gemini robert > Reviews

Content by gemini robert

gemini robert (Surrey, UK)

Yeoman Light Choice Border Spade
Yeoman Light Choice Border Spade

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as light as I'd hoped for, 19 Aug. 2011
I bought both the spade and matching fork for my wife who finds my garden tools too heavy for her to use comfortably for long periods of gardening. These are described as "Light Choice" and yes, they are a bit lighter, but not very much - maybe 5 to 10% lighter. We have kept them, but they are not as light as I'd hoped for.

Caterlite Hotel Mini Kettle, 1 Litre, 900 Watt
Caterlite Hotel Mini Kettle, 1 Litre, 900 Watt
Offered by Nextday Catering Equipment Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, light, but very slow to boil, 19 Aug. 2011
I bought this kettle for my elderly mum who was struggling to use a full size kettle due to her arthritis. It works fine, looks nice and she's quite happy with it, but it takes an age to boil, even when less than half full.

Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder
Toshiba RDXV60 3-in-1 DVD, HDD and VHS Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but complicated, 27 Oct. 2010
We bought this for my 80+ father-in-law whose old video recorder had finally broken. It was easy for me to set up and it works fine but it is quite complicated and the user instructions are not very easy to follow. The remote control is also complicated and some of the important function keys hard to read. Fortunately he has plenty of patience and is not daunted by modern technology (he uses a laptop pc!). It does take a long time to load a DVD, but this isn't a big deal for him. It is good value for money and with a built in Freeview tuner and a large hard drive it should be reasonably future-proof for someone who is converting from Video to DVD.
I would expect this machine is likely to be used mainly by the older generations and provided they are comfortable with video technology it is a good buy.

Collins Rambler's Guide - Ben Nevis and Glen Coe (Collins Rambler's Guides)
Collins Rambler's Guide - Ben Nevis and Glen Coe (Collins Rambler's Guides)
by Chris Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, 25 May 2010
I totally agree with all the other reviews. I bought this with the Cicerone guide and found this one much easier to use. The sections are divided up into easy, moderate, difficult and very difficult walks, which makes planning much easier, and the summary at the start of each walk helps tailor walks to the weather conditions (eg which walks get muddy after rain, etc)

Ben Nevis and Glen Coe: 100 Walks in Lochaber (Cicerone Guide)
Ben Nevis and Glen Coe: 100 Walks in Lochaber (Cicerone Guide)
by Ronald Turnbull

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good the Collins rambler's guide, 25 May 2010
This is a small book - about 12cm x 18cm and about 2cm thick. This might sound like a good idea whey walking, but actually it's not easy to read on a windy mountain top as the type is quite small. I also took the Collins rambler's guide by Chris Townsend and found that much easier to refer to when actually walking. However it is very comprehensive and well written but there's almost too much information. It covers the different geographical areas but you then have to read each route to work out the easy from the hard. It is excellent to research from, but less effective when on the mountain

Wahl Ultima 7200 Men's Shaver Mains / Rechargeable ZX648
Wahl Ultima 7200 Men's Shaver Mains / Rechargeable ZX648

2.0 out of 5 stars The photo is misleading, 22 Dec. 2009
I wanted a simple single foil razor as a Christmas present for an elderly relative and this is what it looks like from the photo. When it arrive I discovered it is more like the Braun twin-foil razors with a central cutting bar, so not what I wanted.
Returned it and received a refund very quickly. As usual, very good service from Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2011 9:08 PM GMT