ARRAY(0xac23f514)

Profile for S. Altaf > Reviews

Content by S. Altaf

S. Altaf "The Frog" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Lucky Cat Kitten Kids X 3 black pink and white - Maneki Neko
Lucky Cat Kitten Kids X 3 black pink and white - Maneki Neko
Offered by Gifts Of The Orient Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars My story, 4 Feb 2014
I originally bought these as I was looking for some minor, unobtrusive decor that I could place on my office desk; nobody would really notice it and as I was pondering problems, I would pick it up and play with them in my hands (they are tiny). That's what I told myself. The real reason was that and I could do with a bit of luck in my life. The description mentioned that it was white for health, pink for love and black for protection. Just what I needed.

Soon after buying these, I started to feel a cold coming on so I began carrying the white one in my pocket wherever I went. I put it in my shirt pocket on my morning train commutes, as London trains are places where sicknesses are exacerbated. Surely this would keep me hale and healthy! But no, it made no difference. As was typical, traveling in the tubes made my cold worse and I had to stay at home for a few days, missing important work deadlines. Even during the worst of it, I would take the little cat out and bring it near my mouth whenever I coughed or sneezed - thinking it would somehow stop - but nothing happened.

Thinking the white one defective, I put it away with the thought that I would return it later; it was time to test the pink one. There was a coworker with whom I had become friendly recently and was hoping to ask out on a date. I began carrying the pink cat in my shirt pocket, and as we were making afternoon coffee one day I began asking the question as I reached for the spoons which were on a low shelf. I was only a few words into the sentence at this point when the pink cat fell right out onto the carpet. I stopped and we both stared at it. I, in horror at any judgment that may be cast upon me for carrying it and her, in surprise. But this surprise turned into a delighted squeal as she quickly reached down and snatched it up. She was smiling from ear to ear and it seemed to have quite an effect upon her, she found it very cute and adorable. But before I could even continue asking her out, she had run off back to her desk. Over the next few days, her attitude towards me had completely changed. She had the pink cat on her desk - my pink cat - and would give me an icy stare of death whenever I walked past or simply ignore me. But I would often catch her wistfully smiling and playing with the pink cat - my pink cat - quite often throughout the day.

It was a lost cause, and at this point I didn't think I'd be able to get any kind of refund back; I let the pink cat go and moved on to the final one. The black cat, for protection.

To avoid any other mishaps, I started carrying the black cat in my back pocket. There was no chance this would fall out now. A fateful day arrived - as I was walking home one night, a group of thugs surrounded me. They demanded my wallet and phone (promising to return the SIM, these were civilized thugs after all). Knowing that I had the black cat for protection, I refused. One of the thugs got angry at this and pushed me quite hard. As I stumbled back, my foot got caught on the curb and I twisted as I fell. I ended up falling hard on my stomach and face. The thugs laughed and searched my pockets, taking my wallet and phone. They found the black cat but put it back where it was. Some protection that was!

So that was it - I was very angry and had decided to complain to the sellers about the spate of bad luck that these things had brought me. I would demand a refund even if the pink cat was not part of the returned packaging! As with all major decisions, I decided to sleep on it before ranting at them in the morning.

The very next day, when I woke up, a realization hit me. You see, these cats were exactly what they said they were in the title - *they* were the lucky cats. The white cat hadn't fallen sick - it was lucky in health. The pink cat had been taken by my coworker - it was lucky in love. The black cat was protected by my fall - it was lucky in protection. It wasn't that these things would bring me luck, they were exactly what they said they were - these were lucky cat kittens. Only a fool would think that inanimate objects can bring luck to them, the universe doesn't work that way. My mind had been opened and freed at last. The epiphany was enough for this product to earn a 5 star rating from me. I happily went back to reading my horoscopes for the day to see what else fate had in store for me.

6 Way Surge Protector Power Extension Lead Switched With 2mtr Lead
6 Way Surge Protector Power Extension Lead Switched With 2mtr Lead
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Spacious design for computer parts, 1 Jan 2014
A lot of computer peripherals and accessories will come with huge plugs, I found this power extension perfect for various things like my router, modem, speakers, controllers, battery chargers, phones, etc. The others that I have tried seemed too tight a fit and would even get pressed beneath large plugs.

Dynamode USB Sound Card 7
Dynamode USB Sound Card 7
Offered by AMA Store -- Ship from HongKong

4.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi Setup, 24 Mar 2013
This was easy to set up with the Raspberry Pi. I bought this because the headphone jack on the RPI was crackling/popping and in general seemed to have a lot of static background noise.

I plugged it in, and it was detected when I had a look at "dmesg". To set it up, I edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and commented out the line that said "options snd-usb-audio index=-2". After a reboot, the USB became the default sound hardware. Running "speaker-test" didn't inspire any confidence as it did nothing, but using a music player like "mpd" or "mpg321" worked perfectly.

One thing to note - the volume was extremely loud for me. I had to open "alsamixer" and lower the volume all the way to 2.

My current setup is that I am running from the RPI, it's connected to a speaker and plays music all day long via mpd.

FLOSO® Mens Thermal Underwear Long Johns/Pants (Standard Range) (Waist: 33-35ins (Medium)) (Charcoal)
Offered by Universal Textiles & Footwear

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the London winter, 15 Jan 2013
Doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything extra, this goes right against the skin and becomes, well, a second skin. Not feeling the cold winds beating against me at train stations when commuting is a real bonus. It's not the cold that's the problem in London winters, it's the wind, and these are great protection against it.

LG Nexus 4 E960 Wave Hydro Gel Case Cover includes High capacitive Touch screen Stylus - Black
Offered by MGT Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Good grip, 15 Jan 2013
Good grip overall. It adds a slight bulk to the already wide phone but it is manageable. I bought this specifically because the Nexus4 is made of glass and a single slip can be disastrous.

The holes are overlayed in the right places.

I find sometimes that I have to apply a little more pressure to the buttons than normal (the cover has button bevels over the actual buttons) but this is acceptable considering the thickness of the cover and the fact that it's there to protect the phone.

I also like that it's slightly raised above the glass in case it ever falls down face first.

The half-glossy-half-matte back is the only negative, it feels cheap and tacky. I wish it were plain and normal.

I did not use any of the accompanying items (stylus or screen protector). The stylus is too small anyway. The cleaning cloth is good and I keep it inside the case just behind the phone.

Overall it's a good value purchase.

Flying Goose Sriracha Extra Garlic Chili Sauce 455 ml (Pack of 2)
Flying Goose Sriracha Extra Garlic Chili Sauce 455 ml (Pack of 2)
Offered by The White Glove Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than regular Sriracha, 15 Jan 2013
I ordered this just to experiment with or try it out; I am a user of the 'regular' Sriracha. I am happy to say that the garlic in this version adds a zest which is just right. I can definitely see myself ordering this again instead of the regular.

Procure Direct Ltd GU10 LED Light Bulb 21 LED Energy Saving 1 Watt Warm White x 1 / Equal to 25W Halogen
Offered by Alarms & Lightbulbs

4.0 out of 5 stars 30 degrees, not 38 degrees, 11 Jan 2013
The product description is somewhat mixed or inaccurate or needs updating.

It has a 30 degree beam angle, not 38.
Power consumption is 1.2 W, not 1 W.

Sennheiser RS110 RF Wireless Headphone
Sennheiser RS110 RF Wireless Headphone

3.0 out of 5 stars Interference, 29 Nov 2012
I found that the placement of the base unit makes a different. I have my base unit next to my desktop speakers (I switch between headphones and desktop speakers). When I use the wireless headphones, tilting my head at various angles produces a high pitched noise, so I often find myself adjusting my own head when listening through these. OR, I pull the base unit out to me as close as possible. That's a negative because I have to be wary of placement and I live in limited space.

Aside from that, be sure to have a few pairs of rechargeable batteries ready, because when the sound starts to fade (you'll know because you'll find yourself upping the volume every few minutes) it's going to need the new pair of rechargeables soon. In terms of actual battery time, it seems decent enough so it's not a battery hog.

Honeywell HT900E Turbo Fan
Honeywell HT900E Turbo Fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped through summer, 29 Nov 2012
I place this one on the floor of the house and have it blow upwards. It's nice and powerful and the noise that others are complaining about wasn't an issue for me. Definitely worth the price, considering the UK summers which seem to be getting unbearably hotter each year.

Philips QC5530 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper with 180 Degree Rotating Head
Philips QC5530 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper with 180 Degree Rotating Head
Offered by Printfusion Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Snippy, 29 Nov 2012
It's fast, good quality and above all the fact that you can swivel the head is fantastic. Even better, I like the adjustable combs which show the millimeter length you are getting. That's extremely useful because I then know exactly which setting I want instead of having to 'judge' it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6