Profile for Some guy > Reviews

Content by Some guy

Some guy (Wherever)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing's changed? If only, 14 Nov. 2006
I feel compelled to write this review as a massive fan of the first film who completely disagrees with almost everything said below. Nothing has changed since the first film, except for the budget, oh, and the imagination. Kevin Smith has always been a fan of poo and fart jokes, but in Clerks and Mallrats there was more to it. In Clerks II they are pretty much all that is on offer. A prime example of the difference between the writing in the two films is the discussion about workmen on the deathstar from the first one compared to the 'Sam wanted to give Frodo oral sex' one from this film. Nearly all of the jokes in Clerks II have been told before. And they weren't funny then.

There are brief flashes of the level of humour that is still expected from Kevin Smith (or is it? Maybe it's justed longed for now by people who remember back when)but they stand out so starkly against the rest of the film that it merely serves to illustrate what the film isn't.

A 97minute comedy just shouldn't feel over long, but when I saw this at the cinema I found myself bored and longing for the end credits.

To say this film is better than Jersey Girl is like saying losing all of your limbs in an accident is better than being slowly crushed to death after losing all your limbs.

Having said all of that, I will probably still pay to see Kevin Smith's next film, in the hope that it is a return to form. I mean, how bad can Mallrats 2: The Revenge be?

Amore Del Tropico
Amore Del Tropico

5.0 out of 5 stars funereal carnival music for people who laugh at Cohen songs, 23 May 2004
This review is from: Amore Del Tropico (Audio CD)
Strange, doom-laden music from the dark heart of California this.
There's the ominous rumble of thunder in the distance and the grey clouds are rolling in. You're drunk and you're sitting smoking your last cigarette by the body of the girl you love, the girl you've just killed. In a strange flash of tranquility the whole scene seems somehow perfect to you. You don't know whether to laugh or cry.
That's kind of what this album sounds like. Imagine Nick Cave fronting Calexico and slowly warping their souls.
You could pick any track and it would be excellent, but as a whole the album transports you. Like the best moments of Cave, Radiohead, Leonard Cohen, it's a bleak, grim world the Black Heart Procession paint but, after a couple of listens, layers of beauty unfurl and gradually take you over, occasionally flowering into a dark humour.
I've been listening to this album constantly for weeks now. Harrowing? At times. But truly a remarkable piece of work and something you should buy.

Fit But You Know It [CD 1] [CD 1]
Fit But You Know It [CD 1] [CD 1]
Offered by cdbear1

1.0 out of 5 stars abysmal, 20 May 2004
When I first heard this I assumed it was some half-baked chancer trying to cash in on The Streets. When I found out that it was Mike Skinner himself I was appalled at the apparent lack of effort that went into it. Quality control has presumably gone on holiday.
OK, I thought, so maybe it's a grower. And it is. In the same way that cancer is a grower. The track is like a blackhole where a tune should be with the most vacuous, pointless, downright awful lyrics I've heard in quite some time. I think perhaps Skinner has begun to believe his own hype and thinks that any old garbage scrawled on the back of a napkin in a restaraunt will pass as voice of a generation now. For gods sake man, make some effort.
I truly can't think of a redeaming feature for this song. It is awful. Everytime I hear it it gets a little bit more annoying and eats another little bit of my soul. I'd rather listen to Peter Andre.

Take Me To Your Leader
Take Me To Your Leader

5.0 out of 5 stars MF Doom returns as 3 headed space monster, 8 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Take Me To Your Leader (Audio CD)
If you like KMD or MF Doom you will like this, the man formerly known as Zev Love X's latest take on hip hop.
And this time he's coming down from outer space to give us an alien view on our world and our hip hop.
It will, of course, be compared to fellow freestyle lyrical genius Kool Keith's Dr Octagon album, but it stands up to these comparisons. Only from a quality perspective though, musically and lyrically they are worlds, quite literally, apart.
If you like hip hop, or just experimental music in general, you will love this. If you think you hate hip hop, because you're used to Jay-Z and P Diddy, buy this and find salvation.
Another overwhelming success for Big Dada, living up to their own high standards.