Profile for A. Lord > Reviews

Content by A. Lord

A. Lord (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Garmin nuvi 2547LM 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps and Free Lifetime Map Updates

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic modern replacement for an older satnav, 4 Mar 2014
This is the best Sat Nav I have used, and I have compared it to brand new and top of the range current TomToms even.
My main impressions:

- Vastly improved PC software, it is genuinely a doddle to use, which is far from what can be said about industry typical support software!
- Easy transfer of all your old favourites from a previous Garmin
- Easy map/voice updates
- Excellent sized screen
- Very detailed local info, nearly every restaurant I know, supermarket, speed camera etc etc of are in here, which was great on a trip in to France where I wasn't familiar
- Easy to use menu system, which is general plus for all Garmins I have found versus competition
- Much improved screen refresh rate - all older sat navs were a little jerky at times, this has been much improved upon, not perfect, but as good as all other sat navs I have used
- The realistic directions are a good feature e.g. "turn right on to the slip road", beyond the typical basic "turn left/right",
- Lane/photo realistic junction info is good particularly on foreign motorways!
- It knows many tunnels therefore does not get confused too much if signal is lost (it even changes screen to night mode while you are in there!)

My only negatives are:
- the use of reroute (to get around traffic etc) seems to have lost the ability to revert back to normal route, unless you put the journey back in fresh - this can be irritating if traffic begins to clear
- slightly greyer interface means the symbols are slightly less readable than previous generations, however this has never impeded my journey I have found, as the main display shows enough

All in all, best sat nav I have used by far in my opinion, even those costing £200+ - Garmin do simplistic, functional sat navs very well, which is all you want when driving - not over complication.

Magnetic Tax Disc Holder - Carbon Effect
Magnetic Tax Disc Holder - Carbon Effect
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect simple item to replace tatty disc holders, 4 Mar 2014
I found this item very easy to use, good enough quality to do the job (what do you really want out of one of these!)
I will deff buy more if I ever have to.

Risk Board Game
Risk Board Game
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strategic game for an afternoon, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Risk Board Game (Toy)
Managed to convince the blokes in my family to try this as a game over a lazy xmas afternoon.

We were all delightfully surprised at what a decent strategic game this makes. There's all sorts of skulduggery that goes on as you and your friends wage war on multiple fronts against one another across the globe - leading to all sorts of arrangements, deceits and all out battle.

Not the kind of thing we would have normally have done, but I dare say it's going to be a regular thing we play as well as the poker!

Couple of things I'd say
1) its a good quality board and die. The pieces are naturally very small and easily lost. So not good for kids I would say. Older kids will be fine.
2) it can take quite a while to play out (properly) - they have a few versions that make it quicker - but if you are going for the proper world domination win, expect some hours of play between relatively balanced players. You may be like us and like that fact

Looking forward to the next time we have an afternoon to have another go!

ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
Offered by ECOutlet

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite kitchen device, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: ROK Espresso Coffee Maker
Aside from it being a rather lovely looking kitchen device (we shouldn't be so fickle.... but it is) -- this makes for a very interesting and successful way of making espresso.

I won't pretend to be a coffee expert. I love the stuff, and drink plenty, and presuming you have decent quality espresso grind coffee you will not be disappointed. A few tips (below) and you'll get every bit as good a coffee as you would from a much more expensive device that would be without half the theatre!

1) Grind needs to be fine. Not excessively fine as you will find it becomes quite stiff to push the water through, which doesn't do the flavour any good as the hot water spends a lot longer coming through to the detriment of flavour. Pretty much any "espresso grind" will be absolutely fine.

2) Plenty of water in the top unless you are making an espresso only. This aids pressure, and gets a decent amount of the flavour through. Too much and you would over fill and espresso glass. If in to a mug then obviously not an issue.

3) A slight push of air after you've sent water through - just takes a little more water/steam out meaning the grind isn't messy when you come to throwing it out

4) Be aware there will be a small amount of grind left on the device - I don't bother cleaning this after every coffee, but you will want to every so often

It's a 2 min job at absolute most.

Wonderful coffee, intriguing to house guests, good looking, eco friendly - COMPELTELY PORTABLE so good for the great outdoors - couldn't be happier.

Gro-Egg Room Thermometer
Gro-Egg Room Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you want, 6 Jan 2014
We have used this for our first two children and I have to say it is excellent little device.

1) colouration based on temp is an excellent little feature
2) soft lighting which some people may not like in the room however I find it a good reference point in the dark for getting to the cot :)
3) cable decent length so you can get it from socket to wherever you please
4) good quality and has lasted us a long time

Delighted.

Targus TBC002EU Intellect Clamshell Laptop Bag / Case fits 15.6 inch Laptops, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality build - very good case, 6 Jan 2014
All positives for me

- Very well made, it is a little stiffer than most cases and is better for it. My laptop feels very secure. The handle is also well made so I am less worried about it giving way eventually than other cases
- Plenty of pockets
- Lightweight
- Fantastic price and better quality than competition at this price point I feel

Black UFO MP3 Rigid/Hard Case Storage Headset Bag for Earphones/Headphones or any small gadget. Supplied with hand Trolley Keychain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for a lost beats case, 6 Jan 2014
This is exactly the beats case replacement I needed.

It is excellent quality, great price. You wont be disappointed if you have lost your older ones like I had.

Duronic HDC01 - 1m/((360)) - 1 Metre HDMI Goldspec (Version 1.4|3D| Latest Technology) High Speed HDMI Cable - Premium 24K Gold Plated 1080p HDMI to HDMI Tilt/Swivel Lead - 1 metres - Perfect for PS3 PLASMA LCD LED 3D HD TV Virgin Box SKY HD SKY+
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than market quality, 6 Jan 2014
Not much you can eulogise on a HDMI cable.
My main take away has been a much better quality connection than every other cable I have used, it slots perfectly in to any device as it appears to be well engineered. The cable itself is also well made, and I very much doubt it will tangle easily.

No issues with picture quality whatsoever.

Overall I have been very pleasantly at how well made this is. If only more items were this quality.

Car Charger in Vehicle Cable Lead for ALL Mini USB Garmin Devices including Nuvi Nüvi Street Pilot Streetpilot eTrex Ledgend Forerunner Colorado (See description for compatible models)
Offered by Decrescent

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - but comprimised after a while, 6 Jan 2014
Initial use of this charger was positive. It has a much better shape head for plugging in than most charger units, giving the impression of better quality. The cable, which is not quite long enough (i.e. it was quite tense) up to the windscreen for my GPS was manageable, so not a major issue.

However after only a couple of months it broke and fell apart.

Many chargers at this price do that, however my unit didn't last long at all. It's an ok product and it may have lasted longer, but cant give more than 3 stars.

Am-Tech Socket Set (52 Pieces)
Am-Tech Socket Set (52 Pieces)
Offered by Topnotchsales

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 6 Jan 2014
Not being a day to day mechanic I just needed this set for the odd job. I have been nicely surprised that it is certainly meeting all of my needs, with a big variety of pieces, covering all bases - and better than "good enough" quality.

The spring loaded mechanism that holds each socket is not the absolute best, however this will not be a problem for anyone but the most regular user I think. I just took a little more care as I worked.

One thing to mention is that there is 1x midi extension bar, and not a long one included so if you are working around awkward corners under the car bonnet perhaps you may find you want to purchase one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3