Profile for S J Marshman > Reviews

Content by S J Marshman

S J Marshman "SJM" (Hertfordshire, UK)

Piccadilly Palare (2010 Digital Remaster)
Piccadilly Palare (2010 Digital Remaster)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra verse, 3 Dec 2010
This version contains an extra verse which is not on the original version of Bona Drag.

The lyrics are:
A cold water room
It's not much I know,
but for now it's where I belong
Am I really doing wrong?
Around the centre of town
is where I belong
Am I really doing wrong?

Still a great song.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 7 Nov 2010
Can't speak for anyone else, but on my creaking 9-year-old Sanyo DVD player, it won't play and thus didn't work.

The New Machiavelli: How to Wield Power in the Modern World
The New Machiavelli: How to Wield Power in the Modern World
by Jonathan Powell
Price: 17.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight into the Blair government, 30 Oct 2010
While Powell wrote this book using his experiences in Number 10 to illuminate points made by Machiavelli on those in power, I read it more for the insight into the Blair government. Not being particularly bright, or interested in Machiavelli, I generally skipped over those bits in favour of the details of the New Labour years.

If you are looking for another perspective on the Blair-Brown wars, this is your book. Of course, with Powell in Blair's inner circle and Gordon Brown apparently refusing to speak to him for years, it doesn't paint Gordon Brown in the best light. I am in no position to argue what is true and what isn't, but you get the impression it was a miracle Blair managed to achieve anything with Brown apparently witholding information, briefing the papers against him at every turn and constantly browbeating him into standing down as Leader. Really interesting reading though, as is Blair's relationship with the other key figures in Europe.

What I enjoyed were the little touches of the real Blair and his life at the time. I write that because I haven't read Blair's book! He used to like to watch the Simpsons with his kids in the evenings and put Leo to bed, for example. He was sent on holiday in the UK to help Britain's image after one crisis, but he hated it because their was no sun.

Powell explains the rationale behind the changes made by New Labour - the introduction of "spin" for example. He goes into detail about the relationship the press play government, from his experiences. At times Powell states that a "A prudent Prime Minister should...." and then inserts some advice, usually on something Labour had intended to do but couldn't for whatever reason. Some of this advice is very specific, so I'm not entirely sure what the point of those parts are, but hey, like I said, I'm not particularly bright.

All told, the Machiavelli sub-text aside, this is an interesting insiders account of the Labour years and I would recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2010 7:22 PM GMT

Lego: The Adventures Of Clutch Powers [DVD]
Lego: The Adventures Of Clutch Powers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Howard E. Baker
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun for Lego fans!, 23 July 2010
The Adventures of Clutch Powers has a good story and looks excellent, but what really makes it great fun for kids who love Lego is the attention to detail.

Well, I say attention to detail, you could also say product placement. Basically, the story contains scenes and characters from all of the Lego spectrum; Lego City, Power Miners, Space Police and lots of Lego Castle. There are scenes which contain identifiable sets from the Lego collection, down to the specific details. I'm surprised in some scenes they didn't give the set numbers. My 6 year old son was shouting "I've got that" (to the City Police Station) and "I want that" (to the Skull Castle), and was pleased to see different recognisable mini figures throughout. And that was a big part of the fun.

The other good thing is the way the characters build their way out of problems and tricky situations. A bit like the A-Team. They have the pieces, and in some scenes they visualise the different things they could build before coming to the right decision. So that is fun as well.

The animation is good and the humour is in the style of the cut scenes from the Lego computer games (eg Star Wars, Harry Potter etc), which is good.

So all in all, I was really pleased with this because my sons loved it, and I think most children who love Lego will get a kick out of this.

Lays Stax Original (Pack of 17)
Lays Stax Original (Pack of 17)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant product, 15 Dec 2009
This is a really great item at a great price. Works perfectly with my 2G Ipod Touch. Genius!