Profile for PSR > Reviews

How to Write Well
How to Write Well
Price: 2.61

1.0 out of 5 stars What on earth is this book?, 29 May 2014
This review is from: How to Write Well (Kindle Edition)
This book was said to be a guide to "writing well." It seemed instead to be a lightweight murder mystery. I'm going to claim a refund.

Words With Friends
Words With Friends
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable but update was a problem. Dictionary is strange., 11 April 2014
This review is from: Words With Friends (App)
Could have and would have given it 4 stars until an update was offered. Couldn't get out of an endless loop whereby I was told to update then told I already had the app. Only cure was to delete the app from the Kindle and the Cloud then download the app again.
The dictionary is strange. Great when it lets you have a word which the OED doesn't recognise but annoying when it blocks a word which is in the OED.

Last Rituals
Last Rituals
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars characters didn't seem real., 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Rituals (Kindle Edition)
I have read several Icelandic mystery/crime novels but I found this one very middle of the road. It was difficult, for me, to have any belief in the behaviour and character of the principal protagonists, not least the German representative of the victim's family. He didn't know whether he was a stern example of unbending Teutonic efficiency or a man ready to take advantage of a tipsy woman. I found myself skim reading the book to get to the point. Perhaps the characters grow on you.

In The Shadow Of The Sword: The Battle for Global Empire and the End of the Ancient World
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and very informative., 24 Feb 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which told me a lot about the Middle East. You need to read more than only this book to get a feel for how Islam developed but it's an excellent place to start.

Digital Cooking Probe Thermometer for Food, Meat, BBQ, Turkey
Digital Cooking Probe Thermometer for Food, Meat, BBQ, Turkey
Offered by eSecure
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 18 months, 24 Feb 2014
This is not an item which one uses every day, so I'd have expected more than 18 months or thereabouts use out of it. Not a battery problem, it just stopped working. Still, you get what you pay for - 5.00, When it was working, it was fine.

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with World Maps (66 Countries)
TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with World Maps (66 Countries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if Tom Toms are as good as they are supposed to be, 24 Feb 2014
Tom Toms are a bit of an enigma nowadays. I use my Tom Tom a lot and it does what it's supposed to do - hence it's OK. But nowadays GPS devices are so common that you wonder why Tom Tom takes so long to lock on to satellites. My iPhone or Sky Caddie lock on to satellites almost instantaneously; the Tom Tom takes minutes.
Downloading new maps is so clunky that you wonder what the software team have done. If I need to update maps for, say, Slovakia, why do I need to download the whole of Europe? Of course there are boundaries and borders but it can't be beyond the wit of the software people to make this more efficient.
Should the Tom Tom get 4 or 5 stars for doing what it's supposed to do? Not in my opinion.

VonHaus Digital Multimeter Voltmeter Ammeter AC DC Meter OHM
VonHaus Digital Multimeter Voltmeter Ammeter AC DC Meter OHM
Offered by eSecure
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The ohmmeter function gave up sooner than it should have done., 24 Feb 2014
I was very satisfied with this product but after 18 months of not very hard use, the ohmmeter function stopped working. It wasn't a battery problem. I accept that it's out of warranty but the response from the supplier was more or less just; out of warranty. So, the rating is based on the supplier's response rather than the device itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars The size is just a fraction small for internet use, but otherwise it's an all-round winner, 24 Feb 2014
This is a great device. I use it a lot and have managed to use it on holiday in place of a larger laptop. The App library is good. Reading books on it is good - especially as it's backed up by the Kindle book store. Listening to music is good. Wi-Fi and email are entirely satisfactory.
The only niggle I have is that browsing the internet shows up that the screen is just that little bit small. The iPad is better, but then the iPad is heavier if you want to read a lot.

10 Meter x 25mm Tape Measure with Extra Wide mounting Clip 55150C
10 Meter x 25mm Tape Measure with Extra Wide mounting Clip 55150C
Offered by WORLDWIDE DISCOUNT STORE
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 24 Feb 2014
I need these tape measures for work down the harbour, surveying cargo. It is very easy to damage them and when they get stuck between pipes, they jam and won't come out. They tend to rust if you don't dry them off after they get wet. Hence, I consider them to be disposable. They do the job; the delivery is good; service from the supplier is good.

Airport Pro Flight Tracker
Airport Pro Flight Tracker
Price: 1.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Overtaken by events, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Airport Pro Flight Tracker (App)
I think this may be better than OK and it's just me not getting the full use out of it. I downloaded Apps for my iPhone from Frankfurt and from Lufthansa and found them very much better than this app. But, as I say, it may be offering a bunch of facilities which I'm just not using.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4