Profile for Gavin > Reviews

Content by Gavin

Gavin

GoPro Hero 3 Edition Camcorder - Black (12 MP)
GoPro Hero 3 Edition Camcorder - Black (12 MP)
Offered by CyclopsDigital
Price: 348.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Was unsure whether to upgrade - glad I did!, 15 May 2013
I would start off by saying that after reading other reviews, I like many others, was really unsure whether to buy this camera given the reliability issues. I finally took the plunge and it arrived yesterday morning. I have already done a few video tests (mountain biking) and can say it is a mile better than my original GoPro Hero. On the visuals front, the 1080p 60fps and 2.7k modes are stunning - so, so sharp! Having 120fps at 720p is also a big bonus and I've already shot some good slow motions in this mode. The biggest difference from my original Hero has to be the sound quality, on the Hero 3 it is outstanding, comparable to that on my Nokia Lumia 820 smartphone (audio on that is phenomenal) - note that even with the waterproof housing on, audio is still excellent.

The wifi remote was one of the main reasons I was swayed into buying, it really is so useful when I have the camera mounted on my helmet. It saves a lot of hassle in taking the helmet off, checking the screen to see if its recording etc. etc. I've also just got the GoPro windows phone app which lets me control the whole camera through my phone, over the inbuilt wifi - its a real bonus being able to do this and helps a lot as you can actually see what you are recording.

As for the battery, I haven't been able to fully test it yet but I reckon it is around 1 and a half to 2 hours in 1080p which is more than enough for my needs. I installed the latest firmware update as soon as I got the camera and as yet haven't experienced any issues whatsoever. I've done a 2.7k video test where I left the camera on for an hour straight (recording) and all worked as expected.

The reliability issues seem to have been cleared up with the latest update so I would highly recommend this camera: stunning visual and audio quality! Also, the price here on Amazon at the moment seems very high (350), I picked mine up on eBay - brand new and sealed with Wifi remote - for 285 delivered, its worth shopping around.

Nutrisport 90+ Protein Chocolate Powder 908g
Nutrisport 90+ Protein Chocolate Powder 908g
Price: 12.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't stand the stuff!, 4 April 2013
I bought this mainly because the reviews were not bad and it was cheap (I should have known). Coming from Maximuscle I gave this a shot - as for the product, it works fine and the results seem not bad. However I have had to throw what was almost a full tub of the stuff into the bin as I cannot stand the taste. I see from other reviews that I am not alone in this, its horrendous! I can't take any more of it as I feel sick after taking the drink. The powder does not mix well with milk either, leaving a very grainy texture. Compared to the maximuscle double chocolate, which I wouldn't have been disappointed to buy as an actual milkshake from a shop, the nutrisport is appalling. I strongly recommend paying a little more and getting better stuff!

Nokia Lumia 820 Sim-free Windows Smartphone - Red
Nokia Lumia 820 Sim-free Windows Smartphone - Red
Offered by Fone-Central
Price: 209.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful smartphone!, 15 Jan 2013
After having had the 820 a few days now, I must say I am very, very impressed with it. Setup up was extremely easy and the first thing I noticed was all the Nokia exclusive apps which add so much to the phone! - offline Sat Nav, Nokia Music and the various photo editors to name a few. This is one of the things that sets the Lumia apart from other windows phones - Nokia's own apps are simply outstanding!

On to the phone itself, really slick design, no rough edges and feels great to hold. Not heavy enough to be noticeable, but then again, not too light that it feels fragile. The build quality is also extremely good - Nokia's hard work and effort really shows! Having a micro sd slot is also a massive advantage, allowing you to store as much music/videos etc. as you could want. I've currently got a 32gb card in but it most likely supports 64gb as well. Expanding the storage through cards will also save you a fortune compared to other phones (iPhone 5 for example, astronomical increases for the bigger memory). A few of the reviews have mentioned how hard it is to take the back cover off, initially I agreed with them. However a quick youtube search brings up a short Nokia video on how to take the back off - if you do it properly its very easy.
Also, you would never know the back was removable when it is on, feels as if its a part of the phone.

Although the screen isn't HD like the Lumia 920, I really don't notice it much. The colour depth is great and when under sunlight, everything is still very clear.

As for windows phone 8, I absolutely love it! Its more of an evolution of WP7.5 so I'm very used to the layout and design of everything (used to have an HD7). The bonus is the features you keep on finding here and there and also, the apps designed specifically for WP8 are fantastic - the BBC news app in particular is outstanding. With over 100,000 apps your rarely missing anything. The only thing I miss is Spotify which isn't yet on wp8. Because of this I trialled Xbox music (built into the phone) and I must say it is miles slicker, easier and faster than any music app, and its cheaper! The best bit about the OS is that everything just works perfectly. When I got the phone, all I had to do was put in my windows live account and facebook account, the phone did the rest - contacts, people, mail, messages all synced in immediately. In my opinion the OS is great, a breath of fresh air from android/iOS and a very well thought out interface.

Another standout feature is the camera which I am very impressed with. Its an 8mp carl zeiss lens, which is all very well but that doesn't tell you much about image quality. Nokia have always been renown for their cameras - the clarity, warmth and colour in the pictures is really good - likewise, the low light performance is exceptional, with the right settings on it picks up loads of light. For a phone camera it is very, very good.

Last thing I wanted to mention was the price, I picked mine up brand new for 325 off of eBay - albeit without the wireless charging cover and plate. At that price the phone was a brilliant buy - it gives the iPhone a very good run for its money in most areas and comes in at half the price! The main thing I was stuck between before buying was whether to go for the Lumia 920. Its currently selling at around 520ish new. For the sake of an HD screen 0.2 inches bigger than the 820 and the wireless charging I don't know how you could justify the 200 extra. Don't forget as well, you won't get that all important micro sd on the 920.

So there we are, the 820 is a fantastic all round smartphone at a great price - can't recommend it enough!

Edit - Updated Spotify app now on WP8, no longer an issue.

Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by save4shop
Price: 180.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly!, 27 Dec 2012
Unlike many, I bought this watch primarily to track my mountain bike rides as my phone GPS was proving too inaccurate. I have had the watch for half a year now and have been using it every week since then. You get a load of data from such a small device! It measures up to 38 parameters, of which I only really use speed, distance and elevation - although its comforting to know you have all the other information there should you need it, it even displays sunrise/sunset times! Battery life is generally pretty good, I have only ever ran out of charge once and that was on a ten hour ride. However if you are going to be using it for long periods of time, you can attach it up to a portable battery USB charger to get way more charge.

GPS wise, the tracking is dead on all of the time! I use it to time trails so need it to be very precise, have to day, I can't fault it in any way! Don't know what else to say really, its an extremely intelligent watch, very well put together and very easy to navigate. Well worth the money!

HTC HD7 / Windows 7 / Sim Free / Unlocked / Mobile Phone
HTC HD7 / Windows 7 / Sim Free / Unlocked / Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the iPhones, this is where its at., 15 Sep 2012
Although I had an iPod touch (before it broke) prior to owning this phone, the HD7 was really my first smartphone. At the time, a lot of my friends were walking about with iPhones which A, were ridiculously expensive, and B, it seemed the price was unjustified for the features on it. This is why I took the decision to by a Windows Phone and I have never looked back.

I have owned the phone itself for almost a year now and has run flawlessly. The only ever issue I had was the memory card failing, but this was my fault as I tried to switch it to a bigger memory card (not recommended). Anyway, HTC fixed that even though I was really the cause of it. The screen is a great size and towards the larger end in the market. Clarity is fantastic and although WP7 lacks HD displays at the moment, I have never had any issues on the standard resolution.

For me, one of the best things about this phone is its robustness. You really get the feel of a quality product when you are holding it/using it. It has a good weight to it and can stand up to the daily wear and tears. The amount of iPhone's I have seen with cracked screens is ridiculous, never had any issues on the HD7.

Aside from the hardware, the OS, WP 7.5 is truly brilliant, it does not get the recognition it deserves. The people app for example is far superior to the layouts on both iOS and Android. When you open up a contact, you automatically get their Facebook, windows live, twitter, linkedin (and far more) activity. It is such a slick interface, everything is very intuitive to use and I have never been stuck. The app store is smaller than its rivals but it is growing, recently reaching 100,000 apps covering everything you could really want.

Considering this phone is what, a third of the price of an iPhone and much less than a Samsung Galaxy it really is a bargain. From my experience, I can see no noticeable drop in either features, or quality between the HD7 and its pricier counterparts.

This phone really is a great buy although it is worth bearing in mind that Windows Phone 8 will be released soon and this phone will not get the complete upgrade. There is an up and a down to this. The upside is the price of the HD7 is going to fall. On the other hand, the flagship WP8 model (the Nokia Lumia 920) packs much greater functionality and will, arguably, be the best smart phone on the market when it is released in October this year.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Item, 4 Aug 2012
Just got these new labels for my new Brother QL500 label printer, first impressions are very good. The rolls come very well packaged in protective cardboard packaging. Print quality is fantastic, no issues whatsoever. Don't know what else to say other than don't waste money buying the official labels as they are several times the price and in terms of quality, nowhere near worth the money. These labels are just as good.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red
Price: 33.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent earphones and customer service, 17 Jun 2012
What can I say about these, for 35 you really can't get better value for money. The sound is fantastic, rich tone, bass not too tinny but not over the top either and audio has a lot of clarity. Very pleased with the purchase, also comes with a pouch too keep them good.

I have had them 4 months now and the other day one of the earphones stopped working. Having used them daily for 4 months I thought this was quite a reasonable working time, no matter how good the earphones are wear and tear will always get the better of them. I checked the SoundMagic website, 1 year warranty offered on all products. All I had to do was drop an email to Amazon and a new set was with me 2 days later.

Having seen a few 1 and 2 star reviews complaining about build quality, I felt I should add in these details: it isn't an issue to get replacements if need be. Although the quality is by no means bad, I was quite impressed with it.

UPDATE (01/12/2012) - thought I would add in, the most recent set of E10s I have, have had a design change - the wiring is now much more robust and the issues mentioned above are simply no longer an issue