Profile for L Howles > Reviews

Content by L Howles

L Howles (Littleborough, Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Bracketron Nav-Mat II Ultra Thin Dash Mount
Bracketron Nav-Mat II Ultra Thin Dash Mount
Offered by Southmid Limited
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 Aug 2014
I'm not entirely sure why previous reviewers are saying things on this topple over. They simply don't, and seems to point to incorrect use.

Mine sits perfectly in my car and I can literally pull on the corners and it won't budge at all. I attach my phone to it for GPS navigation and it's been just as sturdy as the window itself - without all of the marks!

My dashboard is relatively curved, so the very corners do stick up a little, but this doesn't bother me too much. If yours is incredibly steep, you might want to think twice as it isn't particularly flexible.

I'm very glad to have found this - it works perfectly, doesn't look out of place (I mostly forget it's even there), and provides the stable base you need, without the mess.

Contigo Randolph Autoseal Travel Mug - 470ml - Gunmetal/Red
Contigo Randolph Autoseal Travel Mug - 470ml - Gunmetal/Red
Price: 24.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cup in itself, but it might not fit in your car., 4 Aug 2014
I've purchased two of these - one for myself and one as a gift. The mug itself is actually really good. The opening system is very clever and means this thing basically won't leak. It also looks great, and keeps drinks hot for a very long time.

However, there are some downsides.

It may just be my car (2013 Corsa), but it won't fit in any of the cup holders, except the rear one between the front seats. It certainly won't fit in the front cup holders - as it's actually too tall to go under the dash, which is extremely disappointing.

Another issue I've found is that if you tilt it too much, because there are two openings (for left- and right-handed use), liquid will come out of both - which... isn't great.

I've ended up not using this so much, mostly because it won't fit, but I think this is a particular issue with my car because the person I gave one to hasn't had the same issue.

Overall, I'd recommend this for function and design (as long as you use it sensibly) - just be sure it will fit before you get one.

Natural Wood Rectangular Duck Board Bath Mat Set Bathroom Shower
Natural Wood Rectangular Duck Board Bath Mat Set Bathroom Shower
Offered by Shine Trader
Price: 13.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, but basic, 4 Aug 2014
I got this duck board because I'm a little bit of a germaphobe, and I like the idea of a clean, easy-to-wipe duck board more than a bath mat that needs regular washing.

It feels relatively sturdy for the average person, but it doesn't feel particularly high quality - and indeed I stood on a corner oddly and one of the slats broke. It's also, obviously, not as comfortable under foot as a bath mat.

On the plus side, it doesn't become slippery or soaking wet from my experience.

Original Mississippi BBQ Sauce - Exclusive to TONGMASTER - 510g
Original Mississippi BBQ Sauce - Exclusive to TONGMASTER - 510g
Offered by Tongmaster Seasonings
Price: 3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars The best barbecue sauce., 3 Aug 2014
This clearly isn't exclusive to TONGMASTER, since it's being sold by multiple vendors just on Amazon and is available elsewhere too, but nevertheless...

I'm a great lover of Barbecue sauce and usually try every one I can get my hands on.

This and Sweet Baby Ray are the best I've yet come across. Great, slightly spicy flavour.

I never noticed any issues with the consistency (unlike an HP one I'm currently using, which is disappointingly runny), like the previous reviewer, but I tend to put it on, or in, things. I even gave a bottle of this sauce to an American friend who lives over here now and she absolutely loved it.

If you're a fan of Barbecue sauce (and you should be!), I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mississippi Barbecue Sauce Original 1814 g (Pack of 3)
Mississippi Barbecue Sauce Original 1814 g (Pack of 3)
Price: 16.62

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 3 Aug 2014

There are smaller bottles available, so unless you know you already love it, I'd definitely go for those - but if you're a fan of Barbecue sauce (and you should be!), I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Klean Kanteen Vacuum Insulated Pint Cup-Brushed Stainless-16 oz
Klean Kanteen Vacuum Insulated Pint Cup-Brushed Stainless-16 oz
Offered by Parkers of Bolton
Price: 19.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as a fully insulated travel mug, but beautiful nonetheless., 29 Mar 2014
I take my own drink with me to work, having to regularly fill up a glass from a larger bottle. I decided I needed something a little better than a standard glass - and I like having my own things that only I use.

While this does work to keep things cooler for longer, it obviously isn't as good at insulating drinks as a travel mug is - the open top is a clear inlet for heat. Having said that, it's perfectly fine for something you're drinking now, rather than in three hours time.

As with all Klean Kanteen products, I have to mention its looks - it is a thing of beauty. It's ever so slightly matte to the touch, feels extremely solidly made, and is a dream to rinse out - no sharp edges for bacteria to build up in.

It feels like it's going to last for years and years, meaning it's easily worth the price - and the bonus over traditional glass or pottery is that it really does feel like it would survive a drop to the ground. I can imagine the worst case being a dent - which is infinitely better than sweeping up the pieces.

One thing I wasn't expecting is that the lip isn't perfectly curved - the inside is a gradual curve, but the very edge is almost a drop off. It isn't something you notice while drinking, though.

On a side note, it feels a little strange to hold - even though I figured it wouldn't be cold to the touch, it was still a little strange when it wasn't (both because it's aluminium, and because it contains cold liquid).

I'd recommend this for anyone even looking for a stylish tumbler - the fact that it also insulates your drinks is a bonus.

Linkee Trivia Game
Linkee Trivia Game
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A really fun party game - but you will run out of questions, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Linkee Trivia Game (Game)
This is a really fun game - we played it all Christmas. It's great to try and guess the link, especially trying to get in before the other players.

The range of difficulty is quite striking - some are very easy, and some are extremely difficult or obscure. There's definitely an amount of 'have to know the answer', but it's still great fun. The tide can turn mid-game too - I remember being four ahead and then losing 6-4 to one of the other players!

It's a little boring for the question master, but you can swap between games.

The other issue is that once you've heard the link, they kind of stick in your mind - so if you play it a lot and run out of cards it's more of a memory game than a skill game. Hopefully they'll release question packs to remedy this (and I think they already plan to).

Definitely recommended - a very fun game for adults - especially at the upper player limits.

Monoprice Headphone Splitter with Separate Volume Control - White
Monoprice Headphone Splitter with Separate Volume Control - White
Offered by Monoprice UK
Price: 2.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for couples, 17 Mar 2014
There aren't too many examples of a headphone splitter, and far fewer with individual volume controls, which sealed the deal for me.

At 2.50 it's difficult to beat - there are many more 'stylish' options at much higher prices, but this is really a utility product, not a fashion statement.

As to be expected from the price, the build quality isn't great - the cables are thin and the plastic feels a bit cheap, but they aren't major gripes.

We use it for train journeys between London and Manchester where we catch up on Podcasts, for which it couldn't be better.

Definitely recommended - especially for the volume controls.

Belkin Flip Blade Adjust Stand for Tablet (Compatible with New Apple iPad 3rd Generation HD)
Price: 19.78

4.0 out of 5 stars A great upgrade from the FlipStand, 17 Mar 2014
My girlfriend and I bought a pair of these to upgrade from the FlipStand for a few reasons.

They're a little more expensive now than they were then, but even so as far as stands go they're very reasonably priced. As compared to the older FlipStand, they provide a lot more support - the dark grey back piece is coated in a rubber-like substance to hold your device in place and comes about three quarters of the way up the back of a landscape iPad Air.

The gap at the bottom is perfect for cables (in the case of an iPad, if it's portrait).

I've used this stand everywhere from a standard desk, to a bed, to a train journey. It's never rocked or fallen or lost hold of my device. I've used it at a few of the angles too, from watching TV to writing a document and I've had no trouble with stability.

There are only two minor downsides - it doesn't quite lock into the pre-set positions - so the base is a tiny bit wobbly when it's locked in. This isn't much of an issue but it's an oversight.

The other is the fact that the hinge is quite thick - so when folded one side is much larger than the other. It still fits in my iPad case, but only just.

Overall, a worthy stand that's solid on most surfaces and very reasonably priced. Definitely recommended.

SodaStream 1 Litre Carbonating Bottles Twin Pack - Grey
SodaStream 1 Litre Carbonating Bottles Twin Pack - Grey
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to use them for SodaStream, 16 Mar 2014
These bottles are saving me a lot of money each year, but not because I use a SodaStream - for quite another reason.

To begin, the bottles themselves are perfect. The branding is minimal, making them fit into many situations, they're a very large size with a nice wide neck and easy-to-open cap, very easy to clean and because they're rigid they feel much nicer to use than soft plastic bottles like those that shop-bought drinks come in.

They hold a lot more than they appear to - two litres in bottles that can relatively easily be slipped into a messenger bag.

They are dated with an expiry. This could be due to the constant pressure changes they're expected to be subjected to weakening the bottles over time, or some reaction to the bubbles in fizzy drinks that could slowly degrade the surface. Even so, the date is at least three or four years, so replacing them to that schedule won't get too expensive.

So why did I get these if I don't own a SodaStream? I'm a very regular Cinema goer, and usually spend a full day at the cinema. When it comes to something to drink, this leaves me a few options.

- Buy drinks at the cinema. Well, we all know the issue there, especially if you're running late.
- Take cans. This is reasonable, but can be costly.
- Fill bottles from something larger.

The latter option is where these bottles come into their own. Because I usually take something fizzy, I can't use standard water bottles - the pressure builds to a point where the contents literally want to explode out of container. These bottles, however, are both rigid and because they're not quite air-tight and are designed to hold fizzy drinks, pressure doesn't build up. I take both of these to the Cinema, containing two litres of drink, which easily lasts all day. And it only costs me the price of a two-litre bottle - far less than cans or small bottles, and hugely less than buying drinks inside the cinema.

Given the fact that most cinemas have a policy of allowing cold food and drink to be taken inside, I also don't come across any issues with staff.

Perfect solution to something I've been trying to figure out for a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7