Profile for L Howles > Reviews

Content by L Howles

L Howles (Littleborough, Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
50 x Plastic 650ml Microwave Food Takeaway Containers
50 x Plastic 650ml Microwave Food Takeaway Containers
Offered by Fast Track Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size for so many things, 1 Mar. 2015
Some of the other reviews for this product are baffling.

This is a great product, very similar to the quality you get from wholesalers, where I have been getting these in the past. 650ml is the ideal size for a decent portion - it can easily hold a very large chicken breast and marinade, or leftovers to eat another day. I tend to write on them with a Sharpie and use them for everything from storing spices to organising the freezer.

They're both freezer and microwave safe, meaning you can take them from the freezer, pop the lid, and put them straight in the microwave.

They're also sturdy enough that it's worth washing them after use, so a pack can last a long time.

Yes, they become brittle when in the freezer. This is the case with all boxes. I have much more expensive tupperware-type boxes that shatter if you drop them right out of the freezer, so I wouldn't expect anything different from these.

Definitely recommended.

OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer
OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant starter Mandoline, with a few design oddities, 1 Mar. 2015
If you're just getting into Mandoline slicing and want something cheap, but quality - which is exactly the position I was in when I bought it - this is the perfect item. The price is actually unbelievable, as 'full' slicers can easily cost three times as much.

This thing is great. I don't know where it's been all my life, but it's made chopping much simpler for me. It has three thickness settings - though so far I've found myself only really using the thinnest - and it has a 'lock' setting, which means it's impossible to touch the blade. Perfect for storage and cleaning. Speaking of cleaning, this literally only needs a rinse.

The blade is incredibly sharp and has had no problem with anything I've tried so far.

There are a few downsides, however.

- I've found that when slicing chillies, the seeds can, on occasion, go flying all over. This is probably because I'm using it on the thinnest setting, so I'd suggest using the second for these.
- Again, on the thinnest setting, if the item you're slicing contains a lot of water (which is often the case), slices can get stuck to the underside, meaning you have to scrape them out. The design of the underside makes this a little more difficult than it could have been - there are raised edges, so you can't just slide them off the side.

I personally wasn't too bothered that this can't do julienne or chips - due to its price and handheld nature.

AmazonBasics Coiled 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Cable with Stretched Length of 2 m / 6.5 Feet Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt the best audio cable for a car money can buy, 1 Mar. 2015
I like to hook up my phone to my car stereo and find that doing so with a cable is more reliable than Bluetooth, and saves battery on my phone - meaning I don't have to have it plugged in constantly and have twice as many wires strewn across the car.

I've gone through quite a few cables, from Skullcandy ones, to cheap ones, and this is by far the best. All the cheap ones I've tried completely disintegrated far too quickly - sound would stop coming out within a few months, at best.

These are different - just like the AmazonBasics charging cables, these are much more sturdy than their counterparts and I've been using this twice a day for months and not even a sign of wear has appeared yet.

The coil is actually one of my favourite features as it stops the cable dangling on the floor - especially good when there's someone in the passenger seat. Some reviews have said they think it's too tight - but mine isn't, the phone reaches the passenger seat or wherever else I put it with ease and doesn't put any strain on the phone or the coils. I'm not sure where others are trying to put it!

When you can get cheap cables for so little, this seems a bit more expensive, but it's definitely worth it. It will far outlast them and does a better job for its whole lifetime.

JSG Accessories® B22 bayonet 7W Energy saving LED bulb in Warm White
JSG Accessories® B22 bayonet 7W Energy saving LED bulb in Warm White
Offered by JSG Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Instant, Efficient light., 1 Mar. 2015
I bought a couple of these bulbs to replace the old energy efficient bulbs in my 'big lights' in the bedroom and living room.

If you haven't yet tried LED lights and are used to low energy CFL bulbs or similar, you'll want to try these out. They're even more energy efficient, and the best bit is they come on instantly. No more turning the light on, then coming back in 5 minutes when you can actually see what you're doing.

If you like maths (or money) here's the kicker - if used for 5 hours a day, this bulb, being 7 watts, will cost about 16 PENCE per month (based on the day rate from my current tariff, less than half that if used at night).

LE 10W A60 E27 LED Bulbs, 60W Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent, 810lm, Warm White, 2700K, Medium Screw, LED Light Bulbs
Offered by Neon Mart

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bulb - it's a shame some people seem to be getting defective models, 1 Mar. 2015
I bought this bulb to replace the bright white bulb in my study. Because I have white walls, I tend to aim the lamp upwards as it provides just enough light for the whole room without being too bright. This bulb does the job just perfectly - giving a much warmer, softer glow for everyday use.

If you like maths (or money) here's the kicker - if used for 5 hours a day, this bulb, being 10 watts, will cost about 23 PENCE per month (based on the day rate from my current tariff, less than half that if used at night).

I have had no problem with the bulb and I use it for a good few hours every day - so I would take the reviews that have received a defective model with a pinch of salt. A few bad copies is bad, but doesn't mean the whole range is rubbish.

4w LED 4w = 40w Golf Ball / Mini Globe ES E27 Edison Screw Cap /Light Bulb Warm White 3000K
Offered by ECOTRONICS

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little bulb, especially for hallways or lamps, 1 Mar. 2015
Unlike some other reviews, these are definitely warm white bulbs - especially when you compare them to bulbs that label themselves as daylight white.

Because they're only the 'equivalent' of 40w (and I'm not sure you're allowed to label bulbs as such any more, since it's too much of a guessing game), they're not the most powerful bulbs you can get. They probably wouldn't accurately compare to a 40w incandescent bulb, either. But I use these in my hallway in narrow light fittings. Their size and power are just perfect for it.

If you like maths (or money) here's the kicker - if used for 5 hours a day, this bulb, being 4 watts, will cost about 9 PENCE per month (based on the day rate from my current tariff, less than half that if used at night).

LE 12 Watt E27 LED Bulbs, Brightest 75 Watt Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent,1050lm, Daylight White, Medium Screw, LED Bulb

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Efficient, Quality Bulb, 1 Mar. 2015
This is an incredibly bright light. The photo that shows the item sat on a table giving off very white light - that's accurate.

I bought this bulb to replace the old energy efficient bulb in my lamp in my study. Because I have white walls, I tend to aim the lamp upwards as it provides just enough light for the whole room without being too bright. Needless to say, when I put this bulb in and turned it on, Batman nearly came to my rescue. Absolutely stunningly bright, as well as being incredibly more efficient than counterparts.

If you like maths (or money) here's the kicker - if used for 5 hours a day, this bulb, being 12 watts, will cost about 30 PENCE per month (based on the day rate from my current tariff, less than half that if used at night)

The only thing to bear in mind is this is a very white light - it isn't warm or welcoming, but it's great for being able to see everything.

Bathroom Cupboard Under Basin Storage Unit 2 Door Wooden Cabinet Tong & Groove
Bathroom Cupboard Under Basin Storage Unit 2 Door Wooden Cabinet Tong & Groove

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, easy to build, useful cabinet, 1 Mar. 2015
At the time I bought this, it was a relatively cheap, basic, under-sink cabinet that would make use of some wasted space in the bathroom and allow me to hide things away. The price has jumped up a little since then, but still represents good value - especially compared to some other options on Amazon.

Putting it together was straight forward enough. They recommended two people for the job, but I managed to get it done on my own. Everything is labelled - and in fact probably labelled even better than IKEA - so it's very easy to find what you need.

You can tell the quality isn't phenomenal - some of the panels are a little thin - but it's certainly good enough for the job.

Because both the top and bottom have slots to fit around the sink, there isn't a massive amount of shelf space inside. It looked a lot less than I might have imagined, but it's proved to be enough - I use it for bathroom cleaning supplies as well as spare soap, deodorant and things like that.

The only improvement I can think of is a central (optional) shelf, so if you only plan on keeping small things in there you can double up.

All in all, it's a great little cabinet, should fit any standard sink as the holes are quite generous, and has just enough storage space for the kind of things you might want to put under there - just don't plan to put half your bathroom supplies in it. I'd definitely recommend it.

Victorian Christmas Room Spray
Victorian Christmas Room Spray
Offered by Think Aromatherapy

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but very strong, and the perfect Christmas smell., 31 Jan. 2015
An extraordinarily strong scent, this, while called Victorian Christmas, fits perfectly well today. It has a spicy, smokiness to it, that lasts a fair amount of time.

I can't give it five stars - because while it lasts a while (and it will certainly last me years), it does need to be re-sprayed every now and then. The downside with this is that it is almost overpowering if you use too much or use it in the wrong way - I found that spraying it near where people will be (not on them), is much better.

The other reason it lost a star is because it is quite expensive - primarily because of the delivery charge.

Bracketron Nav-Mat II Ultra Thin Dash Mount
Bracketron Nav-Mat II Ultra Thin Dash Mount
Offered by Southmid Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 Aug. 2014
I'm not entirely sure why previous reviewers are saying things on this topple over. They simply don't, and seems to point to incorrect use.

Mine sits perfectly in my car and I can literally pull on the corners and it won't budge at all. I attach my phone to it for GPS navigation and it's been just as sturdy as the window itself - without all of the marks!

My dashboard is relatively curved, so the very corners do stick up a little, but this doesn't bother me too much. If yours is incredibly steep, you might want to think twice as it isn't particularly flexible.

I'm very glad to have found this - it works perfectly, doesn't look out of place (I mostly forget it's even there), and provides the stable base you need, without the mess.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8