Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Lord > Reviews

Content by Lord

Lord (West Sussex)

A Sufi And A Killer
A Sufi And A Killer

5.0 out of 5 stars Gonjagreatness, 8 Jun. 2010
This review is from: A Sufi And A Killer (Audio CD)
I hate that moment when you've played a record to death and you have to put it away for a year or so to make it fresh again. Well, it is going to happen with this one but I cannot help myself. This sort of creative eclecticism rarely makes for a consistently great record but here...! His voice, the production, the sheer quality of the songs make this one of the musical joys of this year. Thank God for the new Flying Lotus so I can start listening to something else occasionally!

King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown

5.0 out of 5 stars Dub Like Crazy!, 23 Nov. 2009
Listen here: it is an established fact that this is the second record you should own (after that horrible novelty record your parents bought you when you were about eight!). After that you can fiddle about with Bullets for My Valentine, Apex Twin, Sonic Youth or whatever else you need to establish your tribal identity. I cannot offer, and defer to, the detailed knowledge shown by the other reviewers here but can only try to transmit a tiny bit of the excitement of this release. In the summer of 1977 I was living in Hackney and this was ubiquitous; it seemed be coming from every house and car on a loop. Though dub was more than well established in Jamaica, with versions often becoming more popular than the originals this was arguably the record that broke it to a larger audience in the UK. Certainly to me, a white middle-class male weaned on the Floyd & Led Zep it seemed that the word was new minted. It was also year Zero on the Kings Road, and apparently the Punks were also listening to this record but that's another, longer story.

I've had a number of copies of this, some terrible sounding neo-bootlegs (though bought in Virgin). Each one, however bad, has given me unalloyed pleasure. As it has to everyone else I've played it to, whether at a party or ferrying kids around in the car. So do yourself a favour - buy it now if you don't know it; so much pleasure for no more than the price of a couple of beers. (Except take care; it may lead on to an expensive Tubby/Channel One/Black Ark habit as it did for me!)

Ummagumma
Ummagumma

5.0 out of 5 stars Floyds' Ultima Thule, 13 April 2007
This review is from: Ummagumma (Audio CD)
I grew up in the early 70's as these great records came out. I loved everything about them - the heavy, spacy sound, the mystique, even the look of the covers. Each LP was obsessed over and dissected. When Dark Side came out I hated it as a sell out. From the comments below I wonder whether fans still divide around that watershed. I still vastly prefer early Floyd myself, before Roger Waters developed an ego the size of Bono's and Nick Mason started collecting Ferraris. I know that most people now disagree but hey, that's fine. I would, though, utterly repudiate the 'get real' remark below. Relax, enjoy what you like and leave the rest.

This is my favorite of their albums, partly because it came out when I was 14. It's hard to recommend it on that basis because no-one can quite have the same experience of it. It was all wrapped up in the exitement of discovering a completely new music: not only Floyd but Krautrock, the Velvets etc. The records you really value at that age remain with you even if you rarely listen to them again. Though my tastes now tend more towards 'The Fantomas', I only have to hear the wonderful opening to 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun' to get the authentic tingle in the spine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2010 2:48 PM BST