Profile for Mr. A. R. Grose > Reviews

Mr. A. R. Grose (uk)

Occupy
Occupy

5.0 out of 5 stars Occupy changes perspectives, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Occupy (Kindle Edition)
I saw this book in Waterstones in Truro and sat down to read through. One hour later I had finished the book and ordered it for my kindle to re-read in greater depth. Norm Chomsky has one of those rare talents of grabbing your attention. His use of the English language and how he writes to express his thoughts, explaining and making clear our current times is both enlightening and revealing. The Occupy movement is one from our contemporary times and I am sure, in the dead of night, Alan Moore is enjoying the appropriation of the Guy Fawkes masks from his V for Vendetta story. A refreshing perspective on our austerity age and a wake up call to us all - no longer do we need to acquiesce to those who think of us as the silent majority, the great unwashed or even as plebs. This book is a must read as an unofficial sequel to Naomi Klein's 'The Shock Doctrine', acting as a new mediation between those who ran the factories and how 'we the people' begin to take back our power and responsibility, following in the footsteps of other countries, as revealed by Naomi, wishing and fulfilling emancipation from bureaucrats and shareholders, whose only goal is the worship their god 'profit'.

Layer Zero: Choices: 3
Layer Zero: Choices: 3
by Cy Dethan

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthology of Talent., 2 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Layer Zero: Choices: 3 (Paperback)
I bought this book at the Bristol Comic Convention. Although I have one of my own strips in this book, I looked forward to seeing the work of others as anthologies play a big part in my world. I like anthologies, reading different writers work and seeing how it is being illustrated by all the different artists.

I was thoroughly impressed by this book, its content and the way it has been designed, produced and put together. After talking for a good few months to various people invovled in the production of this book, I can see the hard work that went in creating all the strips and by far one of the best anthologies I have seen produced from an Independent Publisher.

The stories are strange, obscure, surreal (all things I like) and they take you on a journey on the theme of 'choice'. Before long you will be strolling through your own mind and the minds of others, who show you what can be achieved with the written word and the drawn line (sequential and poetry). An excellent showcase and a great taster of what's happening and going to happen in the world of the Independent Press.

I'm hooked :)