Profile for colette brown > Reviews

Content by colette brown

colette brown (Strathaven, scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Life is Local
Life is Local
by Des McAnulty
Price: 5.05

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning characterisation. great story., 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Life is Local (Paperback)
Life is Local is just a wonderful story with some of the best characterisation I have read in a long while. The characters are allowed their own voices and their own language which ranges from intelectual snobbery to truly bonkers Begbie-like, from sweetly innocent to thug. The language changes throughout the book with dialect becoming more intense as intense situations develop.
This book is clever but not in a way that makes you too aware of it. You are just drawn into the story, the people, the area and the emotions. It is violent and disgusting, earthy and,in its own way , spiritual. I loved it!
I hope the North Lanarkshire dialect doesn't put anyone off from reading this stunning book.( Who would have missed Sunset Song just because it was in Doric!) This could be set in any ex steel town in any area that has been devastated by Thatcherite policies. The people are damaged not just by poverty but by lack of hope.Yet, they thrive and fight on. The community is almost incestious and everyone knows everybody else. This aspect, in the book,is sometimes welcome but at other times , very sinister. Some people escape, others stay to enjoy the warmth of familiarity. You will have to read it to see who does what!Believe me , it will be worth it!

Out Late with Friends and Regrets
Out Late with Friends and Regrets
by Suzanne Egerton
Price: 7.70

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable. this lady can write!, 22 May 2013
I was interested in this novel from early on in its description. When i saw it was of the genre LBGT, I thought, why not? I haven't read anything like this before and was intrigued. Would it be erotic and maybe too in my face? would it be terrible? what could i expect?
I am glad I read it. The story is well written , the characters are accessible and likable and you do care what happens to them. The book is inspiring to any woman whether straight or gay. The writing is sensual but not explicit. There aren't perceived stereotypes ( I have a lot of gay friends and most don't fit any stereotype apart from human)
I enjoyed it a lot and learned some new things but essentially it is just a good book about love, human spirit and peoples' problems. I would read more from Ms Egerton irrespective of genre. she just writes from the heart.

How to Soothe a Virgo: real life guidance on how to get along and be friends with the 6th sign of the Zodiac
by Mary English
Price: 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars another great one in this series, 6 May 2013
living with a Virgo isn't easy. Mary English helps by giving us an understanding of the sign, warts and all! very enjoyable and informative. accessible writing and friendly advice. I am working my way through this excellent series for my family members and friends and have just realised that I will need to adopt a Sagitarrius and a Cancerian lol. Great wee book!

Without Fear of Falling: A Novel
Without Fear of Falling: A Novel
by Danielle Boonstra
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars so enjoyable, 30 April 2013
We all have a benchmark that we set other books against. My favourite past life experience fiction novel for many years has been 'Ferney' by James Long, an accomplished and prolific writer. Well, it has been toppled by Miss Boonstra's book!
This book is atmospheric, has wonderful characters that you actually care about and you just don't want to put it down. The story weaves between past and present lives with ease and is never too obvious ..in fact, one past life connection was just an open mouth event! It now has a place next to 'Ferney' on my book case and I think it will be a while before something topples it!
Miss Boonstra is a wonderful writer and certainly knows how to write in an accessible yet intellegent way. I look forward to reading more from her. I don't think I will be disappointed

The Deep Heart of Witchcraft: Expanding the core of magickal practice
The Deep Heart of Witchcraft: Expanding the core of magickal practice
by David Salisbury
Price: 10.87

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative and enjoyable, 19 Mar 2013
This is just a really good book and although meant for followers of witchcraft, as a shaman, i enjoyed it a lot. I have been looking for abook that I could recommend to people that had lots of advice on magacal practices and discipline and this is it! the explanations of ritual and the need for true discipline mark this out as one that is not fluffy or silly in anyway. the answer is hard work. david shows that in the real world that this is entirely possible. you only gain from the work put in. I think this message is missing in a lot of other books. written well and easily accessible, this book makes sense. well done david.

Tuscan Rose
Tuscan Rose
by Belinda Alexandra
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome. great read, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Tuscan Rose (Paperback)
Tuscan Rose is such an good read. i couldn't put it down. Rosa's story is set against the backdrop of Musollini's Fascist Italy and moved through Nazi occupation, partisan rebelion and victory. It is just a wonderful story beginning with an abandoned baby in a nunnery,her education and placement as a governess, through tragedy, chaos, murder , torture, love and contentment. a truly epic read. loved it!

Shaman Pathways - Web of Life: Guidance for your life journey
Shaman Pathways - Web of Life: Guidance for your life journey
by Yvonne Ryves
Price: 4.54

5.0 out of 5 stars clear and informative, 18 Mar 2013
this book is one of the best I have read in its explanation of individual, personal medicine wheels and because of this I will recommend it to many people. the book allows us to see how we connect with the web of life and allows us to travel our own path, our own wheel. the exercises are wonderful and simply laid out. a great read with very good and accessible advice.
the author has a nice tone which is neither preachy nor staid. this is a good book for beginners in shamanic practices and also for those who need reminders about nurturing and exploring their own paths further.

Naebody's Hero
Naebody's Hero
by Mark Wilson
Price: 5.62

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down!, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Naebody's Hero (Paperback)
It is hard to review this without giving too much of the plot away but all i can really say is...read it! Mr Wilson is a fine fiction author who gradually explores his characters without being heavy handed. He doesn't ask you to like them or their actions but shows so many sides to human nature in each. This was a joy.
The book is also informative and makes you think about some big 'what if's?' Wilson mixes cultures in such a way that you are never totally for or against each. above all this books shows , in life, there are no real black and whites, just grey areas and shadows.
It is not a book I would have picked up on my own as it has a superhero theme but I loved the fact it started in a town I used to work in and from then on, i was hooked!I especially enjoyed the friendships between the characters and the fact that, in the end, love, religion or politics didnt conquer all...friendship and compassion did.
enough...go read!

Pagan Portals - Kitchen Witchcraft: Crafts of a Kitchen Witch
Pagan Portals - Kitchen Witchcraft: Crafts of a Kitchen Witch
by Rachel Patterson
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 21 Feb 2013
MS Patterson has a wee winner on her hands here! conversational writing without compromising on information, lots of ideas and such a lot of common sense. I am not a witch but loved every chapter and it is one for the book case to refer back to for ideas and very straightforward info on how to do, make and follow the kitchen witch way. every person who follows a natural magickal path should invest in this book. loved it!the author's humour and no nonsense personality shines through, leaving you feeling you have just chatted with a very knowledgable friend.

Surfing The Rainbow: visualisation and chakra balancing for writers
Surfing The Rainbow: visualisation and chakra balancing for writers
by Sue Johnson
Price: 8.64

5.0 out of 5 stars so helpful, 10 Feb 2013
quite a unique book. i regard myself as a person who is spiritual and i am also a writer. so far i hadn't put the practice of a spiritual technique forward to help me with my writing. this book shows how to open up to your creativity and use spiritual exercises to let it flow. it is just such a help in a world where writing is done usually as an add on to our day to day lives. most writers have other jobs and occupations and writing can be crowded out because of this. this book teaches how to balance our energy and create focus and let our words flow. each chakra is explained and how it relates to different stages of writing and exercises follow. it is quite hard to explain what this book does. just read it! you won't be sorry. I feel it has enhanced my writing and has helped me through a busy time with both writing one book and promoting another. thank you

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7