Profile for colette brown > Reviews

Content by colette brown

colette brown (Strathaven, scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Multidimensional Evolution: Personal Explorations of Consciousness
Multidimensional Evolution: Personal Explorations of Consciousness
by Kim McCaul

5.0 out of 5 stars just stunning!, 7 Nov. 2013
Have you ever read a book which provided you with the terms and words for what you already knew but hadn't totally pinned down with intellectual understanding? This for me was THAT book. Initially I wasn't particularly 'taken' with the author; in fact I thought him arrogant and actually pretty immature. Yet I liked the way he presented his thoughts and understandings in a slightly detached, scientific 'take it or leave it ' way. He doesn't preach; he doesn't say 'my way has to be your way' . He is no guru or 'holy man'. He is someone who has experienced a certain clarity on hi subject and has decided to pass this on to whoever might want to hear it. This allows the reader to feel unthreatened and in control of their own reactions to the book.
I really liked too that he wrote the book in some sort of sequence explaining his reactions at one age even if they seemed obsessive and immature and later on revisited them, not making excuses but taking responsibility for his actions while admitting some of them were not exactly potentially good choices for those around him. He doesn't stick to 'I did this and it was all for a reason.' He in many ways says I did this or that because it seemed to be part of my quest for understanding and sometimes it was and sometimes it wasn't. This allowed me to respect him more and more as the book progressed.
I couldn't in anyway explain in short what the book is about; the subject is simply too huge.But for someone like myself who has worked with beings from non physical dimensions ( either 'spirits, ghosts, spirit guides, thought energies, dieties) and also frequently with projections of humans outwith their physical constraints ( shape shifters, astral projectors, emotional vampires) it gave me words and terms to 'tag' them.It gave what I know and do some very scientific terms which as someone with a post grad science qualification, I found very enjoyable!
so, I encourage you to read this to understand more about consciousness and different dimensions of thought, emotion and spirit. It is not an easy, 'fluffy bunny' read but is well written and poses many questions. I will be gifting this to my daughter who is a mental health student as I feel this knowledge needs to be acknowledged and worked with by those who need both an understanding of the brain and the spirit and how they interact.
I enjoyed especially reaching the end of the book and hearing how the author had managed to be open to his beliefs yet still live a good and loving life on the physical with his wife and children. Balance. Harmony... it can be done. He didn't sacrifice one for the other. He did it all and I applaud him because I have seen too many 'spiritually aware ' people who are inept human beings.
wonderful book. I can't recommend it highly enough .

How to Satisfy a Taurus: Real Life Guidance on How to Get Along and be Friends with the Second Sign of the Zodiac
by Mary English

5.0 out of 5 stars full of amazing information, 29 Oct. 2013
I have read a few of Ms English's astrological profile books but this one was personal as I am a Taurus. It was well written with a conversational feel that never took away from the knowledge provided by the author. I found it helpful in understanding why I have certain responses to life events and since my daughter is Taurus too, allowed me to understand our interactions more.It is not staid like some astrology books and is enjoyable due to links to famous Taureans in history, art and entertainment. Wouldn't you just know that the singer Adele was a Taurus...creative, sensual, stubborn and not good at letting go of things?
another classic from Ms English.

Pagan Portals - Hoodoo: Folk Magic
Pagan Portals - Hoodoo: Folk Magic
by Rachel Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars so interesting and informative, 25 Oct. 2013
another great book from Ms Paterson. I was hooked from the beginning. This personal account of Hoodoo which is African/American folk magic is full of information that I have not seen elsewhere. I was very interested to see quite pagan concepts merged with petitions to the saints and blended with Christianity. A very interesting read for anyone who is interested in folk magic and shamanism.
I have read a few of the authors books now and am impressed by the way she shares her knowledge in a very down to earth and humorous way. It won't be one for everyone and certainly isn't for fluffy bunnies but if you like you magic earthy and intense, then it might just be for you.

The Swimmer
The Swimmer
by Roma Tearne

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable and informative, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Swimmer (Paperback)
The Swimmer is a lovely book with such amazing description of the countryside . the countryside and view come alive and you can imagine it in all seasons. I so wish that the main characters had been given as much effort. the characters are interesting and intriguing in their own way. yet the book felt short and I would have loved more exploration of the characters and more of their back stories. this lapse means that we don't care for them as much as we could and this brings the book from a 5 star to a 4 star for me. enjoyable and informative but left me wanting more.

Daughters of Shame
Daughters of Shame
by Jasvinder Sanghera

5.0 out of 5 stars unforgettable ., 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Daughters of Shame (Paperback)
don't go into this with anything less than a strong resolve and an open mind. The women's stories will both horrify you and inspire you. The author is brave and tells it as it truly is. I have nothing but respect for her. at the end I was just feeling blessed that my daughters were born in the UK with no cultural barriers to overcome. it is a lesson to us all. change will come though if we read, educate and look after the children.

Animal-speak
Animal-speak
by Ted Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars always at my side, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Animal-speak (Paperback)
this book changed my life. it gave the understanding I needed of totem animals to be the contented shaman I am now. I read it, refer to it, recommend it in my work and never lend it out for fear of it not coming back! there is nothing more to say.

Hell to Pay: Die Hard for Girls
Hell to Pay: Die Hard for Girls
by Jenny Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars gritty and tough but enjoyable, 23 Aug. 2013
I have not really read much crime fiction and was worried I might be too much of a wimp for the violence in this book. Yet the story is compulsive and grips you from the start. My interest was piqued when I read a review which accused it of being 'reversed misogyny' by a male who clearly didn't like the theme of a woman taking the law into her own hands and getting even rather than remaining a victim. The main character is no victim and comes over as strident , strong and with a very dark humour. Yes, it is 'Die Hard for Girls' so don't read it if you are offended by a fierce female lead doing things to rapists that would make most men squirm.
This is a short book with a twist at the end which leaves it open to a sequel....looking forward to that!

Head Boy (Lanarkshire Strays Book 1)
Head Boy (Lanarkshire Strays Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars intense and creepy, 1 July 2013
I am a big fan of Mark Wilson's last two books but was slightly put off by this being in the crime genre which isn't of much interest to me. Yet I am glad I read it even if I feel I must now go take a cleansing bath! The main character is creepy in the extreme and, in the Glaswegian vernacular, gave me the 'heebbie geebies'. You can't help but be repulsed by him and his mindset but he is certainly compulsive.
The story is intense, set over 5 days, like a countdown to armageddon but set in Bellshill.It has a twist in the tale that will leave you open mouthed and rereading a bit like rewatching The Sixth Sense to see why you hadn't figured out the twist. (actaully I figured that one out by 2o minutes in..so HeadBoy defeated my 'twist radar').
a great compulsive read with characters who are well rounded and some who are archetypally familiar ( I need to change my circle of friends!).The language is strong and the violence is sickening yet it all blends together to be yet another triumph from the author who is maturing with every book.
simply stunning!

Grimoire of a Kitchen Witch: An essential guide to Witchcraft
Grimoire of a Kitchen Witch: An essential guide to Witchcraft
by Rachel Patterson

5.0 out of 5 stars so much info packed into one book, 25 Jun. 2013
I almost wish it didn't say 'witchcraft' in the title. Why? well, it is one of the most comprehensive books on natural magick I have read and I am recommending it to shamans, energy workers, druids, people interested in magickal practices as well as Wiccans. I myself am a shaman and there is so much information that simply covers so much of natural magick. So, if you are into witchcraft...you should read it. If you are interested in magick especially kitchen magick, then you should read it, whatever you label yourself!
It is written with humour and with a style that lends itself to sitting over a kitchen table with a cup of tea discussing herbs, moon cycles, spells, intents, and life with a good friend and confidant.
This lady knows her stuff and it shows. She doesn't preach. She just lives it! And by her gentle and honorable example, she teaches us so much more than a dogmatic or extreme person could.
I loved it and will refer to it a lot. very impressed.

Healing Divination: a native guide to being intuitive
Healing Divination: a native guide to being intuitive
by Shirley Laboucane

5.0 out of 5 stars one for the bookcase!, 21 Jun. 2013
There are so many spiritual books that I read and happily gift on to friends and family: but not this one. They can buy their own copy as this is staying with me!
This is truly a very special book filled with information on how to use divination methods while healing with them too. The author shows us how to use divination tools but in a more tribal and shamanic way that allows for personal healing either of oneself or a client. I haven't really seen this is a book before. For example, divination is only started once smudging of self and space is done and the smudge is used during the reading as a healing energy. There is also information on the use of colour and prayer. This all combines to make this book unique.
I enjoyed it and will refer back to it many times. It is written in an acessible way and you can just about touch the author's compassion and commitment to her art. I can't wait to read her other books now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8