Profile for shill157 > Reviews

The Leopard Sword: Empire IV
by Anthony Riches
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Storyteller, 5 April 2014
Sometimes, you find that one book is weaker than the others but that's not the case with Anthony's. Attention to detail and concern for whether Marcus gets discovered meant I couldn't read this fast enough. I didn't guess who was behind the mask either. They keep getter better and I've got the next one ordered.

Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal 3)
Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal 3)
by Ben Kane
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 5 April 2014
This has so much suspense building in it that I was almost afraid to read the next page. Ben doesn't go for the comfortable route, instead he takes you on a stomach churning journey, This is a good thing though, as you don't want to be able to predict where the story is going. It's been awhile since a book has brought tears to my eyes.

Arena (Roman Arena)
Arena (Roman Arena)
by Simon Scarrow
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read until the next Macro and Cato, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Arena (Roman Arena) (Hardcover)
I took this on holiday to Rome to read, so to visit the historical buildings where the gladiators would have been and then be able to read this at the end of the day certainly brought it to life. There were a few twists and turns in the story and it was easy going but I do miss the Cato and Macro pairing. This was a good read to keep me going until the next instalment.

The Bleeding Land
The Bleeding Land
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Bleeding Land (Paperback)
This is another great read. A cliche perhaps, but Giles does bring this era to life. I love how the brothers' lives are interwoven through the story and you wonder how and if they'll meet again. My favourite character is O'Brien though and the banter between him and Mun often has me laughing out loud. (Please don't let anything happen to O'Brien in the next book) It's ended on another cliff-hanger and I'd like to know how Dane and Bess fare after Lord Denton has finished with them. I'd highly recommend you read this.

Warrior of Rome: The Amber Road (Warrior of Rome 6)
Warrior of Rome: The Amber Road (Warrior of Rome 6)
by Harry Sidebottom

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 15 Sep 2013
I've read all the others in the series and was surprised to find that this was really hard going. For me it didn't flow as easily. There was so much to take in historically with the names and places (alot I couldn't begin to imagine how to pronounce) and less of a story compared to the others. I did finish it though as I appreciate that the author really knows his stuff and I need to buckle down and concentrate!

Heartstone (The Shardlake Series)
Heartstone (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom
Price: 14.29

5.0 out of 5 stars more vulnerable in this book, 8 Jan 2011
I devoured the book over Christmas, becoming quite antisocial at times in my eagerness to finish it. I found Shardlake quite vulnerable this time, losing his direction on quite a few occasions. Barak was his constant companion, becoming quite frustrated at times with him. Shardlake's journey to Portsmouth evokes a terrible time in history, when Henry VIII is hell-bent on winning against the French - completely oblivious to the repercussions on the poor and vulnerable. I throughly enjoyed this story, within a story, within a story! On a different note, how nice it was to have a ribbon included with the book to mark the page.

Raven 2: Sons of Thunder
Raven 2: Sons of Thunder

5.0 out of 5 stars Vikingtastic!, 23 Nov 2010
Giles Kristian certainly writes a gripping second instalment to Raven - Blood Eye. In a way I wanted to read it as quickly as possible, but getting towards the end, I didn't want it to end. That to me is the sign of a good storyteller. I've recommended this series to lots of my friends that love Iggulden, Lawhead and Cornwell. Giles is of the same ilk and I relish reading his future publications, whatever era he chooses.

Raven: Blood Eye (Raven 1)
Raven: Blood Eye (Raven 1)
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars immerse yourself, 4 Nov 2010
I've just read some of the reviews, a bit miffed that one person has put 'this is truly a man's book' - what utter rubbish. I do wince a little at some of the descriptions in battle, but that's because Giles makes you feel like you're there amongst it all. If you enjoy Conn Iggulden, Stephen Lawhead and Bernard Cornwell, you'll be reeled in and gripped by the story, the humour of the characters, and the need to finish the book. Giles makes you care about the characters, the injustice they suffer, and how they interweave with Raven, the main character.

The Almost Moon
The Almost Moon
by Alice Sebold
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars maudlin, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Almost Moon (Paperback)
Only finished this as it was the reading for the book club otherwise I would have stopped after the first chapter. A very depressing and unenjoyable book.

The Queen's Man
The Queen's Man
by Sharon Penman

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll be hooked, 10 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Queen's Man (Paperback)
Once you start reading Sharon Penman books, you'll be on Amazon trying to get the rest. They rate alongside Bernard Cornwall and Stephen Lawhead for historical facts mixed with storytelling.

Page: 1 | 2