Profile for B. Allen > Reviews

Content by B. Allen

B. Allen "brenteboy78" (London)

Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Price: 7.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: Hurry Up We're Dreaming (Audio CD)
I have to admit that when heard that one of my favourite artists were planning to release a double album I was more than a little apprehensive. Most doubles within my collections tend to have an awful lot of filler tracks and only really enough of what's really good to fill one album. Thankfully however Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is an absolute joy from start to finish with the only disappointment coming when you have to get up and put the other disc on when you're listening to the whole album in one sitting, which comes highly recommended.

In describing the album before its release Anthony Gonzales stated that this album will be based upon his own personal and musical experiences of the first thirty years of his life. So then it's no surprise that when you listen to it you find all manner of influences from that period (most of which are listed in Big Jims review here) including All Is Dream period Mercury Rev, Pink Floyd, Aha and Arcade Fire, but in his own definitive and ethereal style. Aside from the musical influences, you get also a very personal feel in there too which is reflected in the lyrics and the rousing emotions contained within each track.

This is then, very much an album that is steeped in swathes of the fantastical, the super-natural twilight and the dark yet welcoming corners of our own imaginations that we can often explore with a child-like innocence and make our everyday lives just that little bit more magical. Take a listen and you'll know exactly.

Corsair Records Presents Dancephonica Volume One
Corsair Records Presents Dancephonica Volume One

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover a real hidden gem!, 16 Sep 2010
Being an avid Lo-Fi's fan for many a year now and realising that their releases are few and far between these days I wanted to see what else is out there that could help fill the void created by their perpetual absence. I'd already checked out the excellent IDC on his first album and was pretty impressed with what I heard. So I thought what other good stuff could come from the label that is home to both these artists?

Dancephonica was the resounding reply. It contains a healthy chunk of electronica in the form of IDC, Lo-Fi's and Lord Warddd (Phil Ward from the Lo-Fi's) plus a little piece of D&B (Jenkinsound remix of Casino's Good Times), bass heavy Dub (Dragunz) and some modern day Northern Soul (Casino). In times of almost overwhelming musical mediocrity this compilation has been a breath of fresh air and an impressive taste of what more there is to come from Corsair and their artists.

Northernstomp
Northernstomp
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Smell to make a man remember., 7 Nov 2009
This review is from: Northernstomp (Audio CD)
Remember the late 90's? Big Beat? Trainers with inexplicably chunky soles poking out of even more inexplicably baggy jeans that resembled two maternity dresses hemmed together. Well, thankfully that was a long, long time ago now but despite the best part of a decade and a little bit more passing since those heady days, we find ourselves looking at and listening to only the 3rd long-player from perhaps the most undeservedly ignored band this country has (n)ever seen!

This album is an absolute masterstroke! It is incredibly catchy, funky, electronic and, above all, soulfull. Although it does only clock in at just over 35mins making it seem like one of those wet dreams you have seconds prior to waking up, it does leave with you with the same starry-eyed grin on your chops after each and every listen.

Whether its the disco beats of I Know I'm A King or On My Mind, or the funky soul of Southside Lowdown or Valentines Boast to name a few, there's ample evidence that the Lo-Fi's have long since moved on since How To Operate, and rightly so. I mean, if you live in the past, you get left behind right?

Well, the soul trains a leavin' brothers and sisters. Ride on, ride on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2010 8:31 PM BST