Profile for Gadgeteer1066 > Reviews

SuperFast Thermapen - professional food thermometer in black
SuperFast Thermapen - professional food thermometer in black
Offered by Air Comfort Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and quick, 8 Jun 2014
I use one of these when I am barbecuing steaks, chickens and other things that I cook quickly over direct heat. It is extremely well made and reliable. It responds very quickly and also seems to be very accurate. Takes all the guesswork out of cooking. I would not be without it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes away the guesswork, 8 Jun 2014
I have a Big Green Egg ceramic BBQ that is great for both direct, high heat cooking as well as low and slow smoking and so on. I don't use this when I am cooking a steak or anything that cooks quickly. For that I use a Thermapen (see below). I use this when I am slow cooking a piece of meat - brisket, pork, turkey. I would also be happy to use it if I was cooking a roast joint at normal oven temperatures (except I always tend to go low and slow).

The benefit is that you connect one of the probes to the grill surface and the other (the one that looks like a skewer) deep into the meat. This way, I can close the top on my egg, regulate the temperature down to what I want it to be and then go inside the house with the remote control unit. You can set it to beep and alert you if the temperature goes outside the range that you set, but otherwise, sit back and let your food cook.

Changing the batteries requires you to unscrew some small screws off the back. However, I only need to change them once a year, so no great hardship. I have found it well constructed and reliable. I have used it all last year and I have been using it when I can this year as the weather picks up.

For people who complain that the device stops working and gives wild readings after a few goes - I hear what you say. Before I bought this I had a few cheaper units (one was a tenner from Aldi) and I think where I went wrong was using them in very high heat ovens / on direct grill surfaces. My BBQ can reach easily reach 600F and I would be wary about using anything like this, cheap or otherwise, at that heat. Like I say, I use a Thermapen (really excellent product) to spot check high temp cooking and keep this for use on roasts. For me, I like it, use it regularly and am happy to recommend it.

Sabichi Vegas Large Chrome Modern Free Standing Pedastal Cosmetic Shaving Bathroom Mirror

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish quality, 8 April 2014
This is a very solid, heavy-based, well made bathroom mirror. I also think it is also very stylish and good looking. Excellent quality at a good price. Highly recommended.

NEW & SEALED GRIFFIN SMARTTALK SOUND ISOLATING BLUETOOTH HANDS-FREE HEADSET FOR iPHONE 3G 3GS 4 & 4S

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, high quality, 8 Mar 2014
This fits well in / over the ear without causing any discomfort, even on long journeys. It is so simple to use with an iPhone - simply press the button and say the name. It has a second mic for sound cancelling and this seems to make a huge difference. I was listening to a call from someone using it and I could not tell they were driving, it was as though they were in an empty room.

it comes with a charging cable, which has a USB connector at one end. It is supplied with a car charger and also a mains charger. Unfortunately, the mains charger is not UK. That said, I have that many USB/mains plugs now, I just swap out something else to charge it.

Novelty Dollar Elvis Aaron Presley King Of Rock N Roll Dollar Bills X 4
Novelty Dollar Elvis Aaron Presley King Of Rock N Roll Dollar Bills X 4
Offered by The UK Novelty Dollar Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, 22 Dec 2013
Good quality finish, very sharp printing, lots of detail. These are fun and good value. What's more to say, if you are in the market for an Elvis gift, this is recommended

Mcfarlane New Release 1956 Elvis The Year In Gold Action Figure
Mcfarlane New Release 1956 Elvis The Year In Gold Action Figure
Offered by stevescollectables

4.0 out of 5 stars Good detail, good quality, 22 Dec 2013
Bought as part of a set if gifts for an Elvis fan, I was impressed with the quality and detail. It is certainly good enough to be put out on show alongside other Elvis memorabelia

Grow The King - Elvis
Grow The King - Elvis
Offered by NeedThatGift

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Grow The King - Elvis (Toy)
Bought as a novelty gift, I was suprised how good the figurine was. Plenty of detail and better than expected from a blister packed item

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does it work - well, yes. In the right circumstances, 22 Dec 2013
Before I bought this I read many reviews and whilst some people raved about it, others said it didn't work. Well, here is my take on explaining that diverse experience.

We have two cars; one sits in a nice warm dry garage, whilst the other is exposed to the elements on the drive. When I take the garaged car out and park it somewhere I sometimes get the windscreen misting up badly when I come back to it. I then have to wait ages before I can drive off. This doesn't happen all the time and I think this dehumidifier might have made a bit of a difference, but I'm not sure. It certainly never feels wet.

The other car has a very short daily commute to the local station. On those horrible wet days, when you came back to the car, the windscreen would mist up badly and you would have to wait ages. Now, using this dehumidifier, the screen quickly clears and you are on your way almost straight away. When you feel it, it is wet - it has soaked up huge amounts of moisture.

There, I think, is the difference. If there is lots of water in the air and you have a heavy duty job to do, then this is great. If you are at the other end if the moisture scale, then you will see much less of a difference.

If I only had one dehumidifier and one car parked in a warm, dry garage, I would probably give this a low score. But, seeing how well it works in a car left out all the time, I see how good it can be and so score it higher. I guess you will need to see which scenario fits you to see whether you will get the best out if this.

S.
S.
by J.J. Abrams

4.0 out of 5 stars Very JJ Abrams!, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: S. (Hardcover)
This is a book that you experience in many ways, some are simply tactile; the way you bring it out of its box to read; the vintage, old library feel to it and the experience of turning the pages and discovering 'things' that have been added and slipped inside.

What about the story? Well, there are no spoilers here; I haven't read very far into it yet. From what I can tell, you have the story contained in the book - the typeset story and you also have a second story that takes place in the book's margins. The scribblings of two people who both regularly take the book from the library and have entered into a dialogue together that, from what I have read, turns into a love story. It is these two people who leave the 'things' slipped between the pages - photocopied documents, postcards and so on.

How do you read it? It is not straightforward, nor, so it seems, is there a 'right' way; they say it is for everyone to find their own way. I have read the introduction by trying to keep pace between the typed words and the scribbled conversations, unsure which to give priority to. Moving forward, I have decided to read a chapter of the 'book' and then revisit it and read the scribblings. I think by doing this I will get more out of the typewritten story and also the second, sub-plot.

This is the first 'real' book I have bought since I bought my Kindle all those years ago and, whilst I can take my Kindle everywhere and read it anywhere, this book needs to be read somewhere; you need somewhere you can sit and turn the pages; where you can put down the book's case and the book on the occasion when you come across an inserted document. Is this an inconvenience? Not really, I have it on a coffee table next to a comfy sofa and an open fire; reading a chapter is something I more consciously take time out to do.

Is it any good? I don't know, I haven't read very far into it yet. But, it is very JJ in concept, so I am looking forward to the reading experience.

Scrivener Absolute Beginner's Guide
Scrivener Absolute Beginner's Guide

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of info, 22 Dec 2013
There is so much in here, I hardly know where to start. I use Scrivener but This book makes me realise I use maybe 10% of its capability. Buy it alongside Scrivener and start the journey together

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6