Profile for Nick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
CSS3 in easy steps
CSS3 in easy steps

1.0 out of 5 stars illegible on Kindle - do not buy, 2 Mar. 2016
This may well be a good book on CSS but the illustrations used to display html code, css code and the resulting screen views are too small to read. Every example uses 4 or more code snippets / screen shots, so zooming in to view is not practical.

If you are going to buy this book, get the printed version - you might be able to read it.

Stock Alert
Stock Alert

2.0 out of 5 stars No use for commodities, 11 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Stock Alert (App)
Whilst the currency, stock market and share price sections work well, the one function I REALLY wanted this was commodities. Sadly, as someone else has commented, the app crashes on the Kindle Fire every time you hit the commodity tab. Fix this and it would be a great app.

Anker® 60W 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and More
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot fault it, 25 Sept. 2015
I've had cheaper unpowered hubs in the past but they never seemed to work that well. This on the other hand, has worked like a dream from the moment I plugged it in. With a mix of USB3 and USB2 devices (it doesn't seem to care they are mixed together) it sits in the corner handling printers, memory card readers, hard drives, my Garmin cycle computer, webcam all without a hitch.

I had not heard of Anker before but next time I'm after a device, I will definitely put them towards the top of the list.

Tab for Gmail
Tab for Gmail

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't update this app - ceases to work, 23 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Tab for Gmail (App)
This app was acceptable (by no means great or as good as the gmail app on my Android phone, but it worked). Since updating the app, it no longer works; it tries to launch but every time it fails.
Great work Amazon, yet another function either crippled or not supported on the Kindle Fire. I'm off to buy a proper tablet and consign this waste of space to the bin.

Lottery Results
Lottery Results

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs improving, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Lottery Results (App)
The app has slowed down in recent months. Where it used to take a few seconds to update the results the morning after a draw, now it takes many minutes (if it ever updates at all). It also no longer remembers my own numbers (and won't allow me to re-enter them) so is of little value.

It is easier, quicker and more informative to go to the Lottery website and get an update from there.

Elite Cycling Project Men's Cycle Beanie - Black, One Size
Elite Cycling Project Men's Cycle Beanie - Black, One Size
Offered by GetYourselfFitter

3.0 out of 5 stars One size fits all - it is enormous!, 14 Feb. 2014
Now, I don't have the biggest head in the world but if I pull this on snugly, it comes down over my eyebrows and well into the nape of my neck. It completely covers my ears and, as another reviewer mentions, is thick enough to restrict my hearing when over my ears - somewhat dangerous for cycling. For me, it is only comfy / safe if I roll back the edge of the hat away from eyes and ears.

On the plus side, it is very warm, quite wind proof and deals fairly well with rain too.

If you are blessed with a big head then this should suit you perfectly.

Stop Noisy Pipes Prevent Water Hammer Banging pipes Arrester Water shock Preventer Thumping Pipes for Washing Machines Dishwashers
Offered by FixTheBog

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 27 Jan. 2014
Bought this through "Fix the Bog's" ebay shop but the item came in an Amazon parcel. Either way, very happy with it!

Have suffered from water hammer for ages; LG washing machine has a very fierce water shut off that causes a huge shock around the kitchen pipework. In particular in the fridge cold water dispenser which I fear will be damaged if this keeps up.

Hammer preventer is easy to fit and has cured the water hammer instantly. I have to admit I was slightly dubious given the mixed reviews but very glad that I made the purchase now.

Starter For Ten
Starter For Ten

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Starter For Ten (Kindle Edition)
Picked this up in an airport to pass the time on a long flight. Set in my era (the 80s), the central characters experiences of going to University will ring bells for many who were in higher education at this time.

It is most definitely a 'laugh out loud' book, so much so that I had to put it down as I was drawing attention to myself on the plane.

Recommended if you want a good fun book with a dose of 80s nostalgia on the side.

Stags!
Stags!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all that funny, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Stags! (Kindle Edition)
The reviews made this book sound very humourous and as I have enjoyed funny writers in the past (Tom Sharpe for example), I thought as it was cheap for the Kindle I would give it a try.

Sadly, in my opinion, this book doesn't live up to the billing it gets. The storyline has great potential but not executed as well as it could be given the opportunities offered by a stag do in Europe. The characters in particular are poorly developed and rather one-dimensional; so much so that I never really felt a connection with any of the main protagonists. I hoped and wished for a laugh out loud moment but sadly there were none. In fact I barely smiled whilst reading this book.

Mid-life Cyclists
Mid-life Cyclists

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have liked more, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Mid-life Cyclists (Kindle Edition)
As a keen (and not all that capable mid life cyclist), much of this book sounded all too familiar! It is an easy and engaging book that follows two riders and their dream to ride the Tour de France route. Written from two different perspectives, it is enjoyable to recognise many cycling neuroses in the two authors. I only wish there had been more - the book details the build up and development of the dream (along with the realisation that as mid life cyclists, it was probably a ride too far); however it feels like unfinished business and I look forward to (hopefully) a second instalment which does cover the two of them undertaking the dream.

Page: 1 | 2