Profile for Matt L > Reviews

Mozart in the Jungle Season 2
Mozart in the Jungle Season 2
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply marvellous., 4 Feb. 2016
As per my Season 1 comments - marvellous series!

Mozart in the Jungle - Season 1
Mozart in the Jungle - Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars So much depth, well written, well acted, great camera work and sound - can't ask for more, 4 Feb. 2016
This feedback is for both Seasons 1 and 2, simple brilliant! I can't express how much I've enjoyed this show to the point that I'm now gutted I've watched all of the episodes far too quickly and have a long wait! Takes me back to being in an orchestra and given me inspiration to play more of these classical, baroque and romantic pieces again. So much depth, well written, well acted, great camera work and sound and the around 22 to 30 minutes are perfect for fitting in a busy schedule - can't ask for more! Great job Amazon!

Weighted Mind
Weighted Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful! Perfect blend of song writing, angelic vocal and musicianship., 29 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Weighted Mind (Audio CD)
What can I say, for those familiar with Sierra's art, in my opinion this is a staggering step up in terms of her song writing, singing, harmonies and arrangements. Much more space in the arrangements gives this album a sense of maturity whilst keeping her true to her acoustic roots; with atmospheric moments which remind me of Chris Thile's Not All Those Who Wander...mixed with her own calmness to make even haunting melodies charming. Although not as chops bluegrass driven as before, she's definitely found a great blend in this record without a great deal of shredding. Like with Sarah Jarosz, she has added more contemporary twists and Alison Krauss guests on there too, enough said. Great bass playing and guitar work compliment the stripped down approach. Makes me want to dust off my weber octave mandolin and play sessions again. Superbly relaxing and enjoyable. My favourite of all her albums.

The Dumpling Sisters Cookbook: Over 100 Favourite Recipes From A Chinese Family Kitchen
by The Dumpling Sisters

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a real Chinese foodies cookbook., 4 Jan. 2016
Finally, a Chinese cookbook with recipes that I actually go to the proper restaurants to eat. Too many of the others which I own or have seen are really just a mirage of stir fry orientations and not necessarily real Chinese food eaten by Chinese people. It's great too that many dishes here have been adapted to cater for the ingredients and cooking appliances found over here (well in and around London anyway) with practical explanations which actually make me feel like I've actually learnt something too. Well done to Amy and Julie, cracking good read and currently my favourite and most used cookbook.

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, quality of this product seems to be inconsistent., 23 Jun. 2015
Everyone be careful, the quality of this product doesn't seem to be consistent. I bought 2 of these and after 3 days usage 1 of them has already stopped working - ironically and annoyingly the one I used to backup my personal files using the SanDisk encryption software v2 (which I like mind compared to the previous versions). After a bit of time trying to resolve this, removing registry entries, using data recovery software, I've now given up.

Yes there's the 5 Year Warranty but after spending all this time writing my personal files I'd rather lose the £9.99 I paid for it than create a potential security risk to myself by sending it back for repair or replacement. I did an online search and although this USB memory stick wasn't directly mentioned, there's lots of negative posts on the MicroSD card version so it could be their whole 'Ultra' 32Gb range which is affected by this quality defect. This is such a shame considering I've always regarded SanDisk products highly and wanted this to replace my older 8Gb SanDisk memory stick with the password protection features.

In the meantime for my remaining work stick, in terms of transfer speed I've managed to achieve, download/reading at 100Mb/s average on a SS-USB 3 port and or 30Mb/s for USB-2. Writing was around the 20Mb/s mark which is still at least four times some of my older memory sticks.

The Moviemaking with Your Camera Field Guide: The Essential Guide to Shooting Video with HDSLRs and Digital Cameras
by Adam Juniper

5.0 out of 5 stars Olivia delivers an extremely useful pocket guide that never leaves my camera bag!, 19 Jun. 2013
I came across Olivia Speranza by chance when searching for Steadicam merlin video reviews on the web via Mr CheesyCam. A year later I find her knowledge and practical application of the technologies fantastic, down-to-earth, straight to the point and interesting. OliviaTech is more of a product review platform but for me, her book is really useful as a catalogue of equipment one would need for various videography applications. A talented on-screen personality too, I often find myself refering back to it as a reference for things I could do and kit I might consider. Bottom-line, a nice package which lots of useful content. Fab!

The Goat Rodeo Sessions Live [Blu-ray] [2012]
The Goat Rodeo Sessions Live [Blu-ray] [2012]
Dvd ~ Yo-Yo Ma

4.0 out of 5 stars Dream team of musicians show how it's done!, 19 Jun. 2013
For those of us in the UK I'm finally glad Amazon UK offered this, it's always frustrating to find the rest of the world has access to brilliance like this when we don't.

The concert is fantastic, and for those of you who love music and are not specific to any genre but love and admire real musical talent, then look no further - as a cellist, guitarist and mandolin player myself this was right up my street. In terms of genre, I'd have to say the music of the Goat Rodeo sessions are more of the bluegrass/folk/country vain, well it does have Chris Thile, Stuart Duncan and Edgar Meyer so what would you expect! Yo Yo Ma shows his true potential as a cellist for great expression, something I don't feel his classical ventures have really let him explore. For me, it's always fantastic to watch Chris Thile shows his brilliance and only wish there were Blu-Rays for his Nickel Creek days.

The Blu-Ray picture and audio quality is great. Just a few slight niggles, the menu system makes out like there is supposed to be an additional "behind the scenes making of" film when it in fact calls up to the same starting film. Plus I need to check it out on another Blu-Ray player but one fo the encore tracks plays with the audio out of sync of the video. If that wasn't the case this would have been an easy full 5 stars!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2013 11:49 AM GMT

Pro 160-LED Video Camera Light for canon 1Ds,5D,6D,7D,50D,60D,70D,750D,600D,650D,700D,1100D,1200D,Nikon D810,D100,D7100,D7000,D5500,D5300,D3200,D3300,Olympus ,E3,E1,EP6,EPL-6,Panasnic GH6 GF6,Pentax,Fuji,Sony DSLR/SLR & Camcorders
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for its price & can use old Sony Camcorder batteries!, 14 May 2012
As many of the other reviews said, don't buy this expecting a high-end well manufactured light and the instructions/operating procedures are non-existent. For this price range, it is very plastic feeling and yes I'd have concerns if expecting to throw this device around a lot. It does come with a set of colour front changes which slides and clips into place. The on/off switch is a dial switch so you can adjust the brightness of the light and it does have a button to check battery level (though only a few of the red LEDs light up on mine). Saying this, it does the light job well and I really wanted to write about the bonus which I didn't see in any descriptions. If like me you've got a bunch of Sony HC Mini-DV camcorders lying around which you don't use, instead of using the AA batteries, you can use the Sony batteries. Bonus! Now you've got a complete fully rechargeable set of batteries. Not sure if the other camcorder batteries fit - my old Sony camcorder was a HC19E.

Panasonic SD900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (3MOS sensor, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring)

5.0 out of 5 stars This camcorder is absolutely fantastic and versatile!, 2 Sept. 2011
This is by far the best home consumer camcorder I've ever come across. At the time I was originally considering investing in a "prosumer" camcorder (contemplating spending up to a whopping £5000) however after a random chance meeting with a professional camera-man in London who worked on films like Sherlock Holmes (the Robert Downey, Jr and Jude Law one) I was recommended this range for my needs. What also clinched it for me was seeing footage used by some BBC wildlife program created by a previous version of this camera on the BBC HD channels. I also performed an "on-site" forest test against a prosumer DV camcorder with a friend who studies film in Kingston. Putting a long story short, she ended up using the footage taken from this device over the other camcorder for her project (that's even after converting downwards to DV resolution).

This camera is great for both home use as well as semi-pro paid jobs. I've used this unit for weddings, rock gigs, dance performances, internet videos and on holiday (even out in the rain though I wouldn't recommend it). Of course, for the pros reading this, this only goes up to 1080p and not standard production 4k and you are fixed with the permanently attached lens (hence today DSLRs that take HD footage are a good alternative consideration). Plus the microphone socket is a mini stereo jack and so when buying external microphones you'll have to consider ones which have their own power sources such as the Rode VideoMic Pro (which also mean carrying around 9V batteries, etc).

The only limitation I've found is how short a fully charged battery lasts - we're talking around 1.5 hours so spares/carrying around the battery charger is necessary. Also something which I think is maybe due to the technology type (compared to the older MiniDV tape ones), it doesn't generally respond too well to extremely very fast camera movements, though it could be that auto focus needs time to re-adjust. So smooth movements footage over running around with the camera.

One final thing to add, to really see the benefit of this camcorder, get the HD cable to play it back in full 1080 HD.