Profile for themusiQprojeQt > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Just Me
Just Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Good release, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Just Me (Audio CD)
We all know Brian's vocals are par excellence, so i'll give my take on the production and the writing.

For me, there are 3 tracks that stand out. Its his collaboration with his son Brian McKnight Jr. that seals the deal. The track, titled 'Temptation' is pregnant with doo-wah harmonies reminiscent of Marvin Gay's doo-wah harmony standard - 'I Want You'. The father and son duo blend their harmonies well, and so does the exciting story of a man resisting temptation from an old flame. There was criticism from some quarters about Brian using autotune on the track 'Fall 5.0', honestly, i couldn't care less because the track is a beast! - it's actually one of my all time favourites from Brian. Another, stand-out track is Husband 2.1. Now this song is Brian's flag-bearing track on the album in terms of his lyrical mastery. Brian describes an affair he is having with a married woman in a skilfull way, with lines like; You don't have to explain yourself to me/ Do what you gotta do to live/ And just enjoy yourself with me/ Trust me, I know just what this is.

Just Me is better than Brian's 2009 Evolution of A Man, but maybe not as good as Ten, Back at One and Brian McKnight. On the whole, its a pretty good album.

Calling All Hearts
Calling All Hearts

4.0 out of 5 stars Great offering, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Calling All Hearts (Audio CD)
Ok, so i gave Keyshia's previous effort 4 stars, i wasn't sure i the next album was going to deserve the same status. Calling All Hearts is just as great as A Different Me and Just Like You, therefore i have to give it up to Keyshia for the consistency. The thing with Keyshia is i just love her voice! its got a blend of Mary J and Brandy to it which just sounds great.

The J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League-produced Long Way Down is in its own league. I had heard that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were working with Keyshia, and I was keen to hear what they had been working on, and i was far from being disppointed on So Impossible which has a crazy production and arrangement on it! 'Sometimes' is another great track as well, and so is What You Do To Me the radio-friendly Take Me Away.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best R&B albums ever!, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: 112 (Audio CD)
Rarely do i dare to give albums 5 stars unless i stronly feel they deserve such status. To me a 5 star album is one that i could play even a decade later and still enjoy it. This album was released in 1996, I'm writing the review today in 2011 - all because i still enjoy listening to it.

Call My Name and Pleasure and Pain are my personal favourites. its the production on Call My Name that is superbly ridiculous and the vocals on Pleasure and Pain where Slim and Mike go for it. Cupid is another scorcher, as is This is Your Day, Can I Touch You, Now That We're Done. All i can say is the whole album is not only listenable but also enjoyable from the 1st track to the last!

Fly on the Wall
Fly on the Wall

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Fly on the Wall (Audio CD)
i've given this album 4 stars all because i really relate to the songs on it, so there's a connection there. Examples are Last Call For Love, Are You The Right One, Grab Somebody, these are songs that resonate with me on a personal level. Are You The Right One has the best production on the album, thanks to Bryan Michael Cox.

However, it's the track 'Words' that I think carries the album to a new level. Its the type of song you listen to, and for a moment, have no idea what hit you - it's that incredible! Even moreso is the remix with R. Kelly, which is not on the album, but now on Youtube - it gives you the same feeling with an extra boost from R. Kelly.

Best Night Of My Life
Best Night Of My Life
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality stuff, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Best Night Of My Life (Audio CD)
I've never really been a Jamie Foxx fan; after listening to Unpredictable and Intuition, I wasn't expecting anything major from him. Boy, was i dead wrong!!! The stand out track for me is 'Gorgeous' - this song is damn crazy!!! I mean i've heard hot R&B tracks in my lifetime and Gorgeous is in my top 5.

The title track is the kind you play on a Friday night before you leave for the club, and it really sounds good to the ears. The Drake-assisted Fall For Your Type is another great song, its got a feel reminiscent of Noah '40' Shebib's other productions - Drake's Fireworks and Alicia Keys' Unthinkable.

Other great tracks are Winner, 15 Minutes and Rejoice. I can safely count myself now as a Jamie Foxx fan, but i've got a niggling feeling that it's going to be hard for his next offering to beat Best Night Of My Life.

Good The Bad The Sexy
Good The Bad The Sexy

2.0 out of 5 stars it has to be Joe's worst album!!!, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Good The Bad The Sexy (Audio CD)
After the release of Signature, i had a gut feeling that that Joe would find it hard to surpass its excellence ... my gut feeling proved to be true. I would not shoot down some of the lyrical content on The Good the Bad and the Sexy, especially on tracks such as Impossible and Losing ... BUT the production on the album seems somewhat uninspiring. None of the songs match up to the superior levels of the Bryan Michael Cox produced 'My Love', or even the Joe produced 'Metaphor'.

It seems Joe is falling into the trap of producing a superb album (Better Days, Aint Nothin Like Me, Signature) then coming up with a mediocre release afterwards (And Then, Joe Thomas: New Man, The Good, The Bad and The Sexy). I really hope the next offering will be great. However, for all the flaws on this album, i'm still a die hard Joe fan through and through.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2011 9:35 PM BST

Ridin Solo
Ridin Solo

3.0 out of 5 stars hot album, pregnant with Sweat's neo-90s sound., 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Ridin Solo (Audio CD)
Sweat's 2008 Just Me came with a different more urban sound, which was good in a way as the album had a number of sizzlers. However, as a true Keith Sweat fan, i missed his signature sound - he brought it back on Ridin' Solo! The man never stops to amaze me. I guess it's his partnership on the entire album with R&B supremo Teddy Riley, that gives it that special vibe.

Personal favourite tracks include; Famous, Live In Person, It's A Shame, Hood Sex and Tropical. The latter is mindblowing! Surely, out of the dozens and dozens of songs i like from Keith Sweat, Tropical has earned its place in the top 5. The track is ridiculously amazing - and i'm not even exaggerating, it takes you on a 4 minutes 37 seconds journey, you wish went on for hours, if not, days.

Raymond Vs Raymond
Raymond Vs Raymond

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 11 Feb 2010
This review is from: Raymond Vs Raymond (Audio CD)
A mixture of very good songs and average songs. Usher's pervious effort, 'Here I Stand' was better. However, the good songs on here are really good! 'Hey Daddy' 'More' and 'Cutter Off' are examples. 'Blockin' is another song with an interesting story on it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2010 1:38 AM BST

Another Round
Another Round
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Way above average, 11 Feb 2010
This review is from: Another Round (Audio CD)
What a great way to kickstart Soul/R'n'B in 2010. Not only does Jaheim's voice make him stand out, but also the deep lyrical content that make the songs easy to connect with. The album has got a 'character' that is able to reflect on his 'hoodish, ghetto' persona. There's so much thought put into the lyrics, for example 'Till It Happens To You' and 'Other Half'. 'Impossible' is a scorcher - with Percy Sledge's sound of the legendary 'When A Man Loves A Woman'. Other tracks that stand out are 'Closer' - which happens to be my favourite and 'In My Hands' and 'Another Round'. This is by far Jaheim's best effort and his lyrical content is way ahead of his peers in the game.

Sparkle
Sparkle

4.0 out of 5 stars Great voice, great sound, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sparkle (Audio CD)
Love this album. Had to buy it because i'm a big fan of R.Kelly and i know he's a great producer too. His melodies and Sparkle's sweet tingly voice complement each other on this album. It's a must have

Page: 1 | 2 | 3