Profile for Alan Starkie > Reviews

Content by Alan Starkie

Alan Starkie (Manchester UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
GoPro HERO3+ BLACK Edition - Camcorder - (12MP, WiFi)
GoPro HERO3+ BLACK Edition - Camcorder - (12MP, WiFi)
Offered by A-B-C Quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of technology, 22 May 2014
It didn't seem that long ago that I was lugging a Canon 3CCD camcorder and all of the associated kit up mountains. The GoPro system is a game changer, build quality is outstanding, footage is fantastic and as far as what you can do with this camera - the only limitations are your own imagination. I've been looking at these cameras for a couple of years and have been holding off hoping for really good HD footage. The Hero 3+ Black Edition does everything I need it to do in a tiny package and at a fraction of the cost of my old Canon behemoth! Yeah, battery life isn't that good (buy some spare batteries), maybe it crashes occasionally and the wide-angle is whacky (but cool) but I just love this little camera. I wonder what they are planning for the Hero 4..?

SanDisk SDSDQX-032G-U46A 32 GB Extreme Class 10 UHS-I MicroSDHC Memory Card with SD Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 22 May 2014
I'm just happy that I don't have the bulk and expense of camcorder tapes anymore. Probably not worth cutting corners when recording high bitrate video. This memory card does the job without dropouts.

GoPro Grab Bag of Mounts
GoPro Grab Bag of Mounts

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't have too much of this stuff!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: GoPro Grab Bag of Mounts (Sports)
I said elsewhere that you are only limited by your imagination when it comes to setting-up your GoPro camera. This is a handy grab bag of mounts that I'm sure I'll find uses for. There are cheaper options I'm sure but when it comes to mounting, I'll stick with branded stuff.

GoPro Helmet Front Mount
GoPro Helmet Front Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and useful mount, 22 May 2014
What I've found about the GoPro system is that how you use the thing is pretty much limited by your imagination when it comes to mounting options. While I intend to use this on a climbing helmet, I've already used the extension arm on the Head Strap to get a better view of myself while scrambling.

GoPro Head Strap and Quick Clip
GoPro Head Strap and Quick Clip

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and useful accessory, 22 May 2014
This reminds me of my Petzl headtorch but much better build quality. The inside part of the straps are treated with beaded silicon for added comfort and grip. It is possible to extend the camera out a little way, using parts from a helmet mount, so that you can get a better view of yourself. I've not done a test yet but as long as the camera doesn't bounce it should be ideal for outdoor pursuits. The Quick Clip that is included is useful for mounting the camera on a belt or and strap - even the back of a baseball cap. This is something that I'll be using a lot this summer, so I may come back and update this review once I've used it in earnest.

GoPro Hero 3 wrist housing
GoPro Hero 3 wrist housing

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality GoPro wrist mount, 22 May 2014
If you are on a budget, there are some cheaper alternatives out there but this has that legendary GoPro build quality and it comes with additional backs so that you can use it with the large battery BacPac. Very satisfied with this item.

MaximalPower  1200mAh Replacement Li-ion Battery AHDBT301/AHDBT-301/AHDBT201/AHDBT-201 for GoPro HERO3 Camera Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap extra power for your GoPro, 22 May 2014
Over the years I've had a variety of cameras, still and video and have always been more than satisfied with the quality of OEM batteries. These seem as well made as the GoPro ones but at a fraction of the price. According to other reviewers they meet or exceed the GoPro battery specs so I bought three, more than enough to keep me going for a day.

GOPRO SCREEN LCD TOUCH BACPAC HERO3+ Multimedia Multimedia Accessories
GOPRO SCREEN LCD TOUCH BACPAC HERO3+ Multimedia Multimedia Accessories
Offered by DynamicSales UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful but expensive accessory., 22 May 2014
I recently bought a GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition and was in a very fortunate position to be able to buy some accessories at the same time. This might be a bit of a luxury because you can use a smart phone app to do much the same (in the dry of course). The LCD backpack is small and beautifully made (GoPro know how to do quality) and clips onto the rear of the camera very easily. It is a 'touch' screen panel and all controls and menus and the ability to review stills and footage there and then will be useful to me occasionally.

NEW TRUESHOPPING® 43CC 'TOTAL GARDENERX5' PETROL LONG REACH MULTI FUNCTION 5 IN1 GARDEN TOOL INCLUDING: HEDGE TRIMMER, STRIMMER, BRUSHCUTTER, CHAINSAW PRUNER & FREE EXTENSION POLE 2-STROKE 1.7KW 2.2HP
Offered by Trueshopping Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast delivery - great tool - instructions perfectly satisfactory., 9 May 2014
I only ordered this item yesterday and it arrived this morning. How cool is that! Kudos to Trueshopping. I've not had any time to try out anything but the strimmer yet but I think this is an impressive piece of kit for not a lot of money. The thing goes together easily and fired first time. The performance of the strimmer is fantastic. After reading about the 'comedy' instructions supplied, I was actually perfectly happy with them. The way I see it is this - if you have a basic mechanical aptitude then the instructions will be sufficient. If you struggle with a flat-pack chest of drawers then you will struggle with this because obviously it is somewhat more complicated. Something like this requires a bit of basic assembly and is not something you can just take out of the box and use like a mains strimmer. I think the build quality is pretty decent but of course time will tell. So far I'm pretty impressed and glad that I went ahead and bought it. As far as the strimmer is concerned, I'd seriously advise that you use it with at least the minimum of eye protection, preferably a mesh visor - it doesn't mess about - weeds and nettles - game over!

The North Face Mens Hedgehog Guide GTX M Trekking and Hiking Shoes
The North Face Mens Hedgehog Guide GTX M Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Price: £54.92 - £110.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting when compared to older Hedgehogs, 8 May 2014
To be fair I haven't used these in anger yet. Last time I attempted the 'Welsh 3000 Challenge', I was wearing the older standard 'hogs' and for a long distance walk with scrambles, they were just the job. These type of shoes will not last for years. The soles are softer than normal for grip so they wear out. They will begin to leak whatever happens - I'm not bothered about that. These 'guide' shoes are slightly stiffer than the old ones - designed for covering more miles more quickly. One thing I have noticed is that the heel is slightly higher and more supportive - I'll be carrying more weight this time so I guess this is a good thing. These shoes will look equally good on a mountain or with a nice pair of jeans down the pub and will probably outlast 'regular' trainers.

Why shoes anyway? People will say you'll have no heel protection and worse - no support. If you try shoes like this, you'll immediately notice that you are lighter and more efficient on your feet. Interestingly when wearing full size boots, my ankle does sometimes 'go over' but I think that's because of the more unnatural thick and stiff soles rolling on rocks. I haven't noticed any issues with stability or lack of support nor any problems doing technical scrambles. Being lightweight, I believe you can walk further in greater comfort and oh - no blisters straight out of the box!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3