Profile for Rodney_Mullen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Universal Themes
Universal Themes

4.0 out of 5 stars Universal Themes, 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Universal Themes (Audio CD)
Universal Themes follows very much in the autobiographical style of last years 'Benji'. Only difference is length of song which seems to have been stretched. I very much enjoyed 'benji' but wasn't raving about it as many were. Universal Themes is similar and it feels as if the style is starting is wear a bit thin. Although I appreciate the quality on show I find myself harking back to earlier Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters works. However, I appreciate an artist cannot just continue to do the same old type of songs over and over and change is always good. I guess after 'benji' I was hoping for more of a mixture of styles rather than just another 'benji'-type album. I just enjoy the old stuff more I guess.
Despite that, two songs really jumped out at me from 'Universal Themes'. Firstly, 'Birds of Films' is great, easily my favourite from the album, secondly 'This Is My First Day and I’m Indian and I Work At A Gas Station' is a good album-ender. These are the songs I will go back to, although maybe not as much as I would have wanted. Still at least a four-star album in comparison to other artists.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
Offered by Level99Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Gibralter, 18 Nov. 2014
Bought from Argos as was cheapest on high street and didn't want to trust the post to deliver on time. First impression was one of frustration when it took forever to install. However, once up and running I've been immersed for most of the day. Graphics are great, missions good so far. Been to visit some lady friends down by the beach. Never had a PS3 so haven't played the game before so I guess my viewpoint differs from those who've played before. Overall excellent so far, very happy with purchase.

Henri Lloyd Carrop Regular Polo Men's Top
Henri Lloyd Carrop Regular Polo Men's Top

1.0 out of 5 stars Shrinks dramatically in wash, 9 Feb. 2014
Bought the green version from house of fraser. All was fine initially and the product looked good and fitted well. However, upon washing at the label recommended 30 degrees the product shrank dramatically. I recognise that this is a regular problem with polo shirts and particularly those made with materials like this. Despite this, the product no longer fits well and is short on length.
I contacted Henri Lloyd just to say I was disappointed with the quality from such a recognised brand. Didn't get a constructive response and was just told to return the product. As I had owned the product for a month and had worn and washed it this was not an option. Very disappointed as I was initially very happy with the product. My only advice would be to buy an oversized item and then when it shrinks just hope that it'll fit. Or more realistically just avoid this product.

Tommy Hilfiger Mens Alford 6A Chukka Boots
Tommy Hilfiger Mens Alford 6A Chukka Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 5 Jan. 2014
Bought from official Tommy Hilfiger online store as were on sale and cheaper than amazon. The quality is excellent as you would expect from boots of this price and brand.
They are extremely comfortable from first wear and the quality of the materials used is sublime.
They hold the middle ground between casual and formal and I intend to wear on occasions of both sorts. They go well with dark jeans but also hold their own when paired with a pair of smart trousers,
Overall very happy with purchase.

The Marshall Mathers LP 2
The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh., 6 Nov. 2013
The great thing about a new Eminem album is its ability to make me laugh. The Yoda impression is great.
Overall this effort is high in quality and presents a full album of top quality songs with very few weak tracks. Initial favourites include Legacy, Headlights, Berserk, Rap God and Rhyme or Reason. I forked out for the deluxe edition and I'm glad because Desperation and Beautiful Pain are also top quality. Good to see Jamie N Commons featured, hopefully this will introduce him to a larger audience.
On initial listens I would say that this album is up there with any Eminem album post Eminem show. It's certainly my favourite Eminem album other than the Slim Shady/Marshall Mathers/Eminem show trio.
Enjoy.

Ghosts Of The Great Highway
Ghosts Of The Great Highway

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite 'new to me' album, 12 April 2013
This album is not new but it is new to me having only discovered the music of Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters relatively recently.
It has become a favourite and has been on rotation for months now. I was drawn in initially upon discovering Red House Painters and then looking into Mark Kozelek's other work.
The first track I heard was 'Carry Me Ohio' and I was hooked, this track still remains my favourite and its haunting melody seems to remain with me wherever I go.
However, the album as a whole is superb and a number of tracks really stick out including 'Glenn Tipton', 'Last Tide' and 'Gentle Moon'.
Overall I think the album is probably the most accessible I've heard from either RHP or SKM and is certainly becoming a classic in my eyes.
This album just chills me out. I like being chilled out.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 1 April 2013
Firstly, the packaging is great and exudes quality. The sound is fantastic straight out the box and improves with use. I've been using them connected to a FiiO E17 and the sound is superb.

The Pittards (Yeovil) leather is a great addition and gives a quality look, feel and comfort on the ears. The cups do not surround the ears but rather lie on them whilst still blocking out external sound.

The carry case is sturdy and well designed, the headphones are not foldable so the case is quite big but couldn't really have been any smaller given the design.

What most music fans want in headphones is great sound which these deliver, the fact that they look fantastic as well is a massive bonus.

Overall excellent headphones with a very impressive sound. If you can afford them then you will not be disappointed.

I went for the brown version which comes with black cables and has a very classic quality look.

KSWISS Men's Ks Mid City Chukka Fashion Trainer
KSWISS Men's Ks Mid City Chukka Fashion Trainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 1 April 2013
Great shoes. Really comfortable and light. Good quality feel to the item and they look great. Give a decent amount of ankle support for a fashion trainer. I bought the Black/Aruba Blue version which comes with a black laces and a spare set of Blue/Yellow laces. Very happy with purchase.

Jamie's 15-Minute Meals
Jamie's 15-Minute Meals
by Jamie Oliver

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service, average food, 11 Dec. 2012
I found Jamie's Italian restaurant in Leeds to be an overwhelmingly underwhelming experience. The service was poor, perhaps it was because we were a couple and the staff were more interested in the larger parties for the tips. We were also placed in an awful location, right in the gangway with waiters constantly rushing past and knocking. The food was distinctly average, almost poor for the price paid and left an overall dissatisfaction. Will not go back.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2012 2:25 PM GMT

Life Is Good
Life Is Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Life Is Good (Audio CD)
Having not really heard much of Nas' work other than Illmatic, and constantly hearing about how he's never matched it, I find Life Is Good to be a truly enjoyable album to listen to from start to finish. Comparisons to Illmatic will always be made because of the groundbreaking nature and classic status that it holds, however, Life is Good sees a mature Nas reflecting on life and demonstrating the lyrical class that he is known for. Illmatic is Nas' best and always will be but Life is Good is a great modern rap record, Nas' flow sounds as great as ever and compared to the current competition it is fantastic. It's great to hear someone that has been in the scene for a long time still making great music and wiping the floor with the competition. I bought the deluxe edition and favourite tracks so far are 'Nasty', 'Queens Story', 'Daughters' and 'The Don', however there is no track that I dislike particularly and I've had the album on a loop for weeks now. Great stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5