Profile for Rodney_Mullen > Reviews

Content by Rodney_Mullen

Rodney_Mullen "MdotF" (Salisbury)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Professional Quality Headphone Adaptor ~ 6.35mm Jack Socket to 3.5mm Plug with 24K Gold Plated Contacts by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work on my headphones., 24 Oct 2012
This item looks the part but doesn't work for the headphones I use (Sennheiser HD555). When using this adapter sound only plays from one side of the headphones. I notice from the other reviews that they work for one person and not another so I guess it's hit and miss depending on what headphones you use. I've resorted to bending the sennheiser adapter back into relative shape. At least it works.

Solid Air
Solid Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: Solid Air (Audio CD)
Sadly I was not introduced to John Martyn's music until after his death, however, I have since been captured by his brilliance and 'Solid Air' was where it all began. After a few listens the obvious contenders like 'May You Never' and 'Over the Hill' stood out and I guess these are the more accessible songs on the album for those not used to John Martyn's style of vocal delivery, however, over time, and as Martyn's style grew and grew on me, it is songs like 'Go Down Easy' and 'The Man In The Station' that I would continually come back to and appreciate. Martyn's style is different from any other that I have heard and when accompanied by his massively underrated guitar picking it makes for a sound like no other. It takes a while, but when it all falls into place it really hits home and somehow influences everything you listen to from that point onwards. For me 'Solid Air' and 'Bless the Weather' are Martyn's best, however, I have recently discovered the old-man John Martyn albums 'On The Cobbles' and 'Heaven and Earth', and although the voice has changed it is still as unique and brilliant as ever it was.

Remington HC5350GP Hair Clipper Set
Remington HC5350GP Hair Clipper Set
Offered by Advantage Shaver Spares

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good. Left me patchy., 23 July 2012
Bought these after my old philips clippers gave up half way through a cut, so I rushed down to the local Boots and picked up these, as I was half way through a hair cut I didn't get a chance to look at reviews etc. These were the only choice.
They worked well the first few times, although I did notice that the weak nature of the plastic guard meant that it bent in the middle when pressure was applied meaning the middle area cut shorter than the edges. This didn't really matter as I just went over every area multiple times so that I got an even finish.
However, the most recent cut didn't go so well, when cutting I noticed a big clump of hair fall away, upon examining in the mirror it was clear that the guard blades had slipped and taken a chunk out of the back of my head, they have also gave me streaks along the side of my head which looked like racing stripes, If only I was cool enough to pull them off.
I usually cut down to 9mm, this cut left me with racing stripes on one side and a clump out of the back of my head which looked like a large scar.
It's a shame because the clipper itself seems good and well made, it is just let down by the poor quality of the guard which feels cheap and bends way too easily with moderate pressure.
Overall, avoid if you push relatively hard when cutting, if not then they should be fine.

Live at Wembley - European Tour 2011 CD + 2DVD [Digipack]
Live at Wembley - European Tour 2011 CD + 2DVD [Digipack]

4.0 out of 5 stars Music Good, DVD not bad., 30 Mar 2012
Having been in attendance at the Manchester Arena show of the same tour buying the CD was a no-brainer. The music here is what fans have come to expect from Alter Bridge with the vocal talent of Myles Kennedy displayed throughout and the band giving fantastic support, however the cd perhaps doesn't quite capture the true atmosphere that the gigs have. Overall though the CD is very good and a must for any fan of the band.
In Contrary the DVD was a bit of a disappointment, as soon as I put it on I felt underwhelmed by the camerawork, however the DVD does improve and overall isn't too bad, some parts verging on very good, especially Wonderful Life and Watch Over You, in general the DVD is OK but again does not do justice to the performance that the band gave. The music is still fantastic however, so if you're buying for the music then fine, if you're expecting a top quality DVD then you will be disappointed.
The second DVD contains a road to Wembley film made up mainly of Interviews, backstage footage and Gig footage, I found it an interesting watch and thought it was a nice addition to the package, even so it's probably a once only watch.
Great music, decent DVD's.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good while they lasted., 22 Jan 2012
Bought these around 5 months ago having had some very bad phillps headphones before. In terms of sound quality they were vastly superior to my previous set, they were perfect for what I needed which was essentially listening to a bit of music to pass the time on the commute to work. I have some proper headphones for at home so these were just for out and about.

They were used everyday and took a fair bit of wear and tear in and out of my jean pockets and in and out of my rucksack, that being said it was still annoying that after 5 months they have given up on me. Like other reviews I have read the problem seems to be which the connection to the jack end.

Overall they were good while they lasting but they had a fleeting existence.

Recovery
Recovery
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, but still a 5 star album., 27 Jun 2010
This review is from: Recovery (Audio CD)
First off, this is not classic Eminem, but giving less than 5 stars would be unfair when looking at the quality of other releases this year, this is not 5-star Eminem but in general music terms it is 5-star standard.
Eminem returns with a strong set of songs some of which use chorus samples, he and his producers use these samples well and come up with up with radio-friendly songs that will no doubt be big chart hits, stand out songs so far are 'Not afraid', '25 To Life', 'No Love' and 'Love The Way You Lie'.
This is certainly a return to form but perhaps lacks a few edgier less-poppy tracks that fans have come to love, there are a few tracks on the album that really don't need to be there and perhaps draw out the album.
Eminem has become a master of hip-pop with this album and it will no doubt be a big hit, it's good to hear him back to a good standard and gives good hopes of future classic Eminem albums, overall a return to form from a man so far ahead of his competition that it's not really fair.

The Fray
The Fray

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid return., 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Fray (Audio CD)
This album marks a strong return for the fray after their debut 'how to save a life' eventually got big in 2007 having initially being released in 2005 (in the US at least), the album was strong and produced some well known singles, now they return with 'the fray', first impressions were good and the album has been growing on me since, one thing to say is that the album probably lacks a big hit single like 'how to save a life', however, for me the strength in depth this album has is outstanding and songs such as 'enough for now', 'syndicate' and 'you found me' are personal favourites. Having said that the first 8 tracks on the album are all of very good quality and are extremely listenable. Overall I probably prefer this album to the debut and the lyrics in particular are excellent. Four stars only because the last 2 songs on the album are a slight let down.

Scouting For Girls
Scouting For Girls
Offered by MediaMerchants

2.0 out of 5 stars Nearly bought it., 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: Scouting For Girls (Audio CD)
After hearing the first single from this album I had a slight urge to buy it, just for the fun-ish tone and light-hearted air of it, alas I didn't and now I am very glad I didn't.
As further singles came the poor quality of the lyrics really shone through and the repetitive nature of the music was really quite apparent.
Generally I enjoy good musicianship and decent lyrics which this clearly doesn't have, however, initially I was drawn to the feel-good tone of this band, but after a few plays on the radio it quickly became old, then annoying, then I began to hate them and would turn the radio off whenever they came on.
Judging by the numerous negative reviews it seems this band evoke the same emotions in many people, it's fair enough to say they're just a bit of fun but many people like music to be meaningful and have a certain quality, this band do not possess such qualities and really add nothing to the music scene, if anything they drag it down to new lows.
If you're looking for a bit of fun then maybe you'll enjoy this, my advice would be to download one track and enjoy that, that way you'll pretty much have the variety of the album anyway and your well earned money wont be wasted.
If you're looking for something new with quality music and lyrics then go elsewhere as this music can only be enjoyed on a certain level.

The Back Room
The Back Room
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first album - Better than most current music, 16 April 2008
This review is from: The Back Room (Audio CD)
Having heard of editors but not knowing much about them i embarked upon eurockeennes de belfort festival 2007, midday on the second day and on came Editors, the set started well and i was instantly impressed with the quality of the live performances, as the set continued i felt being drawn into their sound and by the end i was impressed enough to order this album as soon as i got home. Also, another thing that impressed me was the fact that the lead singer came into the crowd with the public after their set to watch queens of the stoneage. The album is very good with some instant hooks and some songs that gradually grow on you, the sound is very unique for the time and although i can see similarities to JD i think it is unfair to labour them with the JD tag, the band are so much more than that. Favourite tracks from the album include 'Munich', 'Blood' and 'All Sparks', overall a very good album, if you enjoyed this try 'An End Has A Start' aswell which is also a very good album, here's a band that are bound to be around for a while.

Perfect Change
Perfect Change
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame they've disbanded., 15 April 2008
This review is from: Perfect Change (Audio CD)
Perfect change was the first label release by dakona, it is a compelling album full of modern alternative rock tracks combining catchy guitars with clever and often strange lyrics, the album has a great feel to it and is always a welcome return to the CD player. 'Trampoline' is a personal favourite with its strange but somehow good lyrics and great chorus, other favourites include 'In God's Name', 'Good' and 'Centre of the world'. Overall a very good modern rock album perfect for someone who wants uplifting music that can be listened to again and again. It's a shame they've disbanded and we won't be getting any more of their great style.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5