Profile for C. Dunford > Reviews

Content by C. Dunford

C. Dunford "Carol" (Scotland)

Murder at Ashgrove House (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 1)
Murder at Ashgrove House (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 1)
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but hit by technical flaws, 16 Feb 2014
As another reviewer has said it seems one chapter is out of order, but the book is enjoyable enough that I ploughed on. I was teetering in the edge of the nd when an error came up from amazon telling me to delete and redownload the book. Despite doing this several times I can't read the ending! Help amazon. Fix this!
However, the story is enjoyable. We see the action from multiple character viewpoints which makes it unusual in a dedicated sleuth book. The main character Rose is interesting and I get the feeling she will grow and develop over the series. The mystery has many twists and turns, but all fits together nicely.
If it hadn't been for the out of order chapters and the downloading glitch I would have given this a much higher rating. However, I know neither of these are likely to be the author's fault and I will be looking out for her next book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 1:15 PM GMT

Set of six absinthe spoons
Set of six absinthe spoons
Offered by Liqueurs de France - The trusted seller of quality spirits and barware
Price: 36.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Correction, 11 Nov 2013
I've now had it pointed out that the picture is simply a set of spoons against a black background rather, than as assumed, a box lid. I've upped my rating accordingly, but I remain disappointed more thought hasn't gone into the packaging a set which must often be given as a gift.

All Hallows (The Falconer Files)
All Hallows (The Falconer Files)
Price: 0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable as ever, 27 Oct 2013
Only a short story, but full of Falconer craziness. Loved it. Eagerly awaiting the Christmas story. Very enjoyable, warm hearted series.

The Sword is Mightier: Scholar Knight (Book I)
The Sword is Mightier: Scholar Knight (Book I)

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw, humorous, medieval reality, 15 Aug 2013
What separates this novel from so many other historical narratives is the raw, visceral and real feel of the combat. Not only is Page an excellent story teller who weaves wit, character depth and story plot effortlessly into his writing, but he also makes this demanding era come alive. It would be all too easy to overload the reader with period details, but instead of telling us how things are he achieves the pinnacle of writing success when he shows us. Reading this book is like diving into a movie. It plays in 3D in your head. And if you want more it's a battle of good against evil where the odds are heavily stacked against the good guys and you have no idea who is going to come out on top till near the end.
No plot spoilers from me just read it!

Screenwriting (Teach Yourself (McGraw-Hill))
Screenwriting (Teach Yourself (McGraw-Hill))
by Raymond G. Frensham

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 10 Aug 2011
This is the ideal book for learning about the craft of writing screenplays. It really goes into the nuts and bolts of creating the bones of a story. These are exactly the rules you need to learn before you even consider breaking them. Not for a book for modern UK contacts, but definitely the book for technique.

Believe Beads 20CM Silver Plated Charm Bracelet, for slide on slide off charms
Believe Beads 20CM Silver Plated Charm Bracelet, for slide on slide off charms
Offered by BodyTrend
Price: 1.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Jan 2011
I also bought a cheaper bracelet before buying this one. In the sale the difference in price was tiny and this is by far the better bracelet. Stronger, shiner and delivered very quickly. It's also much easier to close than other bracelets I've tried. So pleased I've ordered a second to replace the earlier cheaper bracelet I bought.

Disruptive: How I triumphed over years of abuse from those who were supposed to protect me
by Angela Bayley
Price: 8.52

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bravest Thing You'll Read This Year, 15 Jan 2010
This is the story of Angela's struggle to survive a childhood of cruelty and abuse. You're with her every step of the way as battles her problems both external and internal. There is no doubt about the sincerity or honesty of the book and yet much of it almost too horrific to believe. In laying herself bare Angela uncovers issues of care and abuse that the reader may not want to know, but should know. It's clear the book was cathartic for her to write as I imagine it will be for anyone else who has suffered in similar ways. For the rest of us it leaves us with an uncomfortable feeling that we should be doing more to ensure such terrible events are never visited on children.
It's not a cheerful read, but Angela is a woman and child of spirit. She is never self-pitying and despite all she has been through maintains a level of human compassion that many of ordinary upbringings never achieve. However horrifying this is ultimately a success story of a woman who against all odds succeeded in creating a happy and meaningful life for herself.

Bohemian Cats
Bohemian Cats
by Karen Mahony
Price: 14.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and glorious, 16 Sep 2006
This review is from: Bohemian Cats (Hardcover)
Bohemian Cats is that unique offering - something completely different. Set against the breathtakingly opulent background of Bohemia the cats of the Royal Court must plumb the depths and deceptions of the King's missing songbird. Blending photography with illustration these glorious cats walk on their hindlegs and dress in fashions any fairytale feline would give his tail to possess. Romantic fantasy meets the surreal in a wealth of splendour and decadence.