Profile for Sjakkel > Reviews

Forever Knight Trilogy: Part 3 [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Forever Knight Trilogy: Part 3 [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by M and N Media US

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to see Julie Benz in "Defiance", 7 Nov. 2014
I have all 3 seasons on VHS (in NTSC format) and just bought seasons 1-2 on DVD (also NTSC). My Panasonic DVD-player promises me it can take NTSC, eventhough it is the wrong region. It's somewhere in the set-up menu, where you can choose for NTSC. I hope regioncodes don't throw spanners in the works..... :-(

BTW: I'm not willing to fork out 50 Pounds for season 3 (used versions) just yet.

Fun to see Julie Benz in "Defiance", though.Hasn't changed much. I still see the vampyre in her... :-) :-)

Jonathan Creek - Series 5 [DVD]
Jonathan Creek - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars New series (2014) of Jonathan Creek, 18 Mar. 2014
The only reason for me to buy the DVD is because my recorder missed episode #2 (my mistake). Somehow I thought eps #1 was OK (that old house could become the new windmill). Eps #3 I watched when tired, so I fell asleep last week (but is recorded).

I don't think the series has the sparkle-and-fun the old series had with CQ or even Ms Sawalha (her Masterchef-sister is fun too).

However, some of the reviewers seemed to be surprised by Jonathan's "sudden" marriage etcetera. They seem to have missed the past 3 TV-films about Jonathan Creek. The last one even last year (The Clue of the Savant's Thumb). And I watched that one (by accident) while it was broadcast on BBC1 (I live in the Netherlands). No Radio Times, alas.

I think most reviewers were disappointed by the past 3 TV-films, if compaired to the original series.

I was surprised to see that the Beeb asked for a 3-part series, but willing to give it a chance. Since I haven't seen all of the episodes, I will reserve my final verdict.

As a final comment: I do not agree with the current BBC-practice to have extremely short "seasons" of only 3 1-hour episodes. Unfortunately, as I understand it the UK Tory-government has cut funding and the BBC no longer has the budget for Drama/thrillers as they used to have. They probably even have to cut one of their Channels (BBC3) :-(

J.

Sherlock - Series 3 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the reviews, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
****SPOILER ALERT****
Not to be read when NOT British or Dutch (and OK: Belgian)
****End Spoiler Alert****

I must say, I adore the British sense of humour and your sense of the absurd. While I acknowledge that few other countries on this lovely planet will appreciate the British absurdity as much as the Dutch do, I must say I was baffled by your comments today (when pre-ordering this item). Seventy-7 comments on a-yet-to-be-broadcasted series (and no: this is not a typo)? I'm afraid people outside the UK and The Netherlands will have no idea what you (we?) are talking about. They will probably deduce (and correctly so) that we are all bonkers.

Anyway: my few pennies worth:
Having not seen the 3rd series yet: I must either wait for the BBC1 time-warp of the Christmas release of season 3, or for the series release on Disc in January. To some of you: for the Tardis to rescue Sherlock when jumping of the roof: was this Doctor #11, #12 (another Christmas surprise from Auntie) or #13. Frankly, after the 50th year anniversary special, I've lost track (is John Hurt Doctor Zero?). Yosherlock: I think you should elaborate on that. The current one is #11 (or is it now #12?). No secret deliveries in the Netherlands, I'm afraid.... I think we ran out of Elves (we have Zwarte Pieten here).

NB: Since my latest update, more than 50 reviews have have deleted. I wonder why...? :-)

As for the description of Mrs Hudson forcing poor Sherlock to eat Jam...: sorry, I can't wrap my brain around that one. Did the Tardis damage her brain, or what? As for for Reviewer Ms. Lamb (October 25th) about the cliffhanger of #3: "Lets just say it involves Sherlock, a whisk, a rubber duck, a cupcake and some rope". Really?

Anyhow, since Amazon killed 50 reviews of a series with comments that should have been on a Blog (the discussion, that is):
Please: I find this thread very entertaining, but I think we should continue it elsewhere. Funny as it is.

As for the series: I **DO** have BBC1 (2-4, also). Too TV much to watch, and just 1 recorder... :-(
Hence: buy it.

JC

Spiders (Collins Gem)
Spiders (Collins Gem)
by Paul Hillyard

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for my brother, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Spiders (Collins Gem) (Paperback)
I haven't read the book, but I think it is the greatest gift for my Brother. He thinks knows everything about spiders in the NL (or so he claims). He has several field-guides and what-have-you-not.
So a short wake-up-call about spiders seems the perfect present (he has too much of a focus on Europe).
NL= Netherlands + NW-Europe ==> small spiders.

BTW: I used to have a bit of Arachnophobia, of which my brother cured me (using large House spiders). I'm no longer scared, but my two cats love them (the cats either eat/kill them, or I rescue them).

But I won't mind scaring my brother a bit too....... Just for Christmas.... :-). Any ideas?

The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars A very long search ended with this buy...., 30 Nov. 2009
I'm from the Netherlands and I first saw parts from this series over 20 years ago (I kid you not) on German TV, in English (no subtitles) with introductions in German by German scholars.

My First Introduction to Shakespeare was at the age of 16 at school (Macbeth), and in later years I enjoyed reading the comedies (Penguin edition).

Much to my deligth I watched the BBC series. I especially enjoyed John Cleese as Petruchio in "The Taming of the Shrew" and Felicity Kendal in "Twelfth Night" as Viola. I've been searching, first on Video and later on DVD for the series for years. No such luck.

Fortunately, the boxed set is now affordable and it arrived last Saturday. I watched both my favourites on the weekend, and they were every bit as good and fun as I remembered. Too bad there are no Dutch subtitles, so my Mum can't watch (her English isn't as good as mine). Tonight it's "As you Like it", and I'm really looking forward....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2010 9:34 PM BST