Profile for John Crossland > Reviews

Melissa & Doug Victoria - Ballerina Doll
Melissa & Doug Victoria - Ballerina Doll
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One pleased little girl, 12 Jan 2013
Since Victoria Ballerina was presented to my granddaughter at Christmas it has been number one toy. The doll is now ballerina baby and goes everywhere. If that isn't customer satisfaction I don't know what is!

Lustrum
Lustrum
by Robert Harris
Price: 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Power politics in Ancient Rome, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Lustrum (Paperback)
Without doubt Robert Harris is a very compelling writer. Lustrum moves at a furious pace and once started it is hard to put it down. He has clearly researched his subject and used his original sources to good effect without being stuffily pedantic. His portrayal of the 'baddies' is especially gripping. I think his strength is to convince you that this is exactly what did happen all those years ago even if you know something of the original history of the time. The feeling of life in a state that was fabulously successful and yet was strangling itself in tradition and bitter rivalries is real as is the fact that every day life is more squalid than romantic. In this book Rome is a nasty place to live in modern terms. I think that in this book Robert Harris is much more on top of his narrative than in the first Cicero book, 'Imperium'. I am looking forward to the third part of what must be a trilogy - history demands that the tale must be completed!

The Making of the British Landscape: How We Have Transformed the Land, from Prehistory to Today
by Francis Pryor

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy effort, 5 Nov 2010
I came to this book having enjoyed its predecessor, the Making of the English Landscape by W.G.Hoskins and I realised how far we had advanced since 1955 when Hoskins published his book. Francis Pryor has produced a really scholarly work - plenty of references and acknowledgement that he cannot cover such a range of history under his own steam alone - but also something that someone who is not an expert can throughly enjoy. I suppose that, as an archaeologist myself, I am biassed in his favour from the outset. And yet I was enthralled by the scale of the venture and the fact that he maintained the pace and clarity throughout - no mean achievement over 800 pages. The illustrations were excellent and very well captioned and he was not afraid to include personal insights. So often academic books become stilted and impersonal but Francis Pryor avoids this. He manages to maintain an enthusiasm for his subject - which is a huge one - right the way through. There is, as has been pointed out in an earlier review, the odd error. But even Homer nods!