Profile for The Doctor > Reviews

The Doctor (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Like Clockwork [VINYL]
Like Clockwork [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars The ghost of Nick Oliveri has finally been exorcised, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Like Clockwork [VINYL] (Vinyl)
With the release of Like Clockwork, Josh Homme has created a collective masterpiece of stunning [did I say stunning?], I mean breath-taking compositions, the likes of which I have never heard. After nearly 23 years my favourite album of all time has been surpassed, something I thought would never happen. I cant stop playing it.

So what's the big deal with Like Clockwork? I don't know. I simply cannot tell you what emotions this album evokes as I have not been able to assess the impact it has had. And there within lies its beauty. The only issue I have is mine in that I didn't go to see them when they came through on tour. Next time.

Sure its only rock n roll, but ... wow.

James Arthur (Deluxe)
James Arthur (Deluxe)
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I like it!, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: James Arthur (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Having read all the negative reviews, I was ready for a stinker. But what a bunch of moaning minnies! I was never a fan during the program, but this has converted me. Its raw and gutsy from a guy doing what he has always wanted to do but never had the opportunity.

He was never the most soulful guy in the X-Factor, so quite why its not what some people expected is beyond me, Jahméne Douglas he aint.

James Arthur the album is full of great songs and yes there is some choice language on it, but its no worse than the so-called radio friendly fodder that the likes of Robin Thicke have got away with. I would rather have the odd bad word than the innuendo and double entendre that fills the airwaves, only to be sung out loud by children who don't understand.

I say well done James, its a damn fine album and hopefully the first of many. Don't listen to those party poopers!

Classic Rock Presents Motörhead Aftershock
Classic Rock Presents Motörhead Aftershock

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album since Bomber, 7 Nov. 2013
And the first since Bomber that when it finished I played it again, and again, and again.

Its a shame its 34 years on, but worth the wait.

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) [VINYL]
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Telekon, 18 Oct. 2013
For once I am lost for words. I've started my review over and over again, but couldn't add any more than other reviewers have already eloquently written. It is possibly the most complete album Gary has ever released, bridging the gap between 20th and 21st century Numan music. And although the heavier/more up tempo tracks do have elements of NiN and even Rammstein, if it wasn't for Gary those bands wouldn't exist. Where `Love Hurt Bleed' has come from after all these years, god only knows; it maybe one of his finest songs to date.

When all hope appears to be gone from artists from an era that is unrivaled, Gary Numan, against all the odds (and his many critics) releases Splinter and restores my faith in music.

Well done Gary.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2015 1:55 PM BST

Vengeance Falls (Special Edition)
Vengeance Falls (Special Edition)
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 15 Oct. 2013
It's not easy being a Trivium fan; it's been one big roller-coaster ride right from the start. Ember to Inferno got things moving nicely, only for Ascendancy to take us to the very top with one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Then Crusade - a sad attempt to emulate Metallica's (at the time) success with the mainstream music channels. Shogun was a so much better and for me (again at the time) a return to form. But on reflection it was a knee-jerk reaction to its lackluster predecessor. Thank god for the crushing In Waves, back almost to the dizzy heights of Ascendency ... then this. Back down we go again!

I can't fault the musicianship, perhaps on that score it's their best yet, but Draiman ... what have you done? Trivium are not an extension of your own musical aspirations! But I can't blame him if he's been left to produce it his way. However I find that sentence hard to accept as I can't imagine Matt allowing him to literally take over. `To Believe' is 100% pure Disturbed! I just don't get it.

Ironically it's not until the last three tracks that the real Trivium emerge, as if Draiman had gone home having thought the album was finished and then Matt said, "Quick lads he's gone. Now it's OUR turn!" Sadly too little, too late.

So for now I will sit back and relax until the next (hopefully Draiman-Free) release sees me back on the Trivium roller-coaster for perhaps their ultimate thrill ride. It cant go any lower.

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Vapor Trails (Remixed)

3.0 out of 5 stars How it is and how it ought to be ... left, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
It's been a long time coming, expectations raised by the recent (and not so recent) views of the band as to why they were unhappy with the original mix. Putting aside issues re the releasing of a product with known faults in 2002, I (as a fan of far too many years) am of the opinion that in this case, it may be broke ... but DON'T fix it.

Geddy (I think) says the remix allows it to breathe, I say I like the claustrophobia and suffocation that the album exudes. Its raw, its brash, it's a band back from the brink saying `we've been through absolute hell, but we are back and take it or leave it this is ... how it is'. Some people say the sound is muddy. Great! I like it dirty.

In a nerdy kind of way, I made a back-to-back track comparison playlist and it's easy to hear where all the work has been done. I can understand remixing an album from an era when analogue technology was all they had, but (to me) this is just an attempt at plugging a hole that wasn't there.

Would you touch up Van Gogh's sunflowers because the vase is out of perspective, or straighten the Tower of Pisa as the 5.5 degree angle wasn't on the original plans? No! Leave that thing alone (no pun intended ... ok so it was).

I was going to say that VT has been T4E'd, but it's more S&A'd - purified to the point of sterility. I admit that the nuances that the remix brings to the surface are interesting and even enlightening in some places, but it's not VT. VT is more like nights at Hammersmith Odeon when it was all about the music with a few flashes and bangs and some dry ice thrown in for good measure, not the big arena productions of the last 20+ years. I was lucky enough to see them on the VT Tour in the enormity of Toronto's Air Canada Centre, but oh how I wish it had been down the road in Alex's steamy Orbit Room.

I digressed, back to the remix.

With the exception of Peaceable Kingdom which does add a certain je ne ce quoi, all the other tracks have been injected with a little too much `soul'. VT doesn't have soul, it has balls! A perfect example is the gnarly attack of opener One Little Victory, the life of which has been sucked completely dry. Now we can hear Geddy singing the lyrics instead of before when it was more like him yelling through a megaphone. Many fans didn't like that, but I did!

Maybe it does sound fresher and cleaner, but it's not the statement that they made 11 years ago when VT shredded all misgivings of T4E and gave back Rush's identity. I do like the adapted cover, but alas I won't be playing it again. I'll stick with the original thank you very much.

5 out of 5 for Vapor Trails, 3 out of 5 for the coffee table remix.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2013 12:39 PM BST

The Last Song [DVD]
The Last Song [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miley Cyrus

1.0 out of 5 stars 107 minutes of my life that I will never get back, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Last Song [DVD] (DVD)
This is arguably the 3rd worst film ever made behind Mama Mia and Ghost Dad. Even my 10 year old daughter who loves Ms Cyrus was embarrassed at this cringe fest.

It is so wrong in so many ways I don't know where to start ... so I wont.
Shocking, shocking, shocking.

Queensr˙che
Queensr˙che
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars "Tonight Mathew, I am going to be Geoff Tate of Queensryche!", 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Queensr˙che (Audio CD)
For those of you too young to remember, Mathew (Kelly) hosted a TV show called Stars in Their Eyes where people would perform as their hero, normally dressed like them too. So it was a major disappointment that Q2 (or Q1 depending how you look at it) have chosen to hire or encourage their new front man to sing just like the one they got rid of.

Few bands succeed with new singers, the exceptions (AC/DC and Genesis as examples) choosing to evolve rather than replicate. So why try and clone Tate? I am not sure who is pulling the Queensryche strings these days (my guess is its Rockenfield), but there are times on the album where aside from sounding like Tate, even the timing and phrasing is pure Tate; "Hmmm ... I wonder what Geoff would do now?" Any credibility has been lost.

But it's all not new guy La Torre's fault; the songs are weak, lacklustre and downright dull. It's like Addicted to Chaos II, as if the first one wasn't bad enough. Tate however has taken the soul of Queensryche with him and created an album that is worthy of the brand. Not this.

Now there has been a lot of stuff flying around about what Tate may or may not have said or done, but hey that's rock'n'roll ... isn't it? I just hope the court makes a ruling soon either way so that `we' the fans don't continue to get caught up in all their doppelganging mess. And if this to be a two horse race, I know where I will be putting my money.

I am a fan of Queensryche ... but this isn't it.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 4:11 PM BST

Motorheadphones Overkill In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Mic and Remote - Silver
Motorheadphones Overkill In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Mic and Remote - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I like them!, 19 Jun. 2013
With every other kid wearing cheap Dre knock-offs, I thought I would give these named headphones a go ... well if you cant trust Lemmy, who can you trust?!

With a varied musical taste from Messugah to Mozart, these really are a great middle ground for enjoying all genres, especially at the price. Nicely packaged too.

I think those that said they were badly made and especially those who said they lacked bass, I think they they were very unlucky cause mine chuck out bass like Lemmy's thundering 4001.

Well done Mr Kilminster and Co ... a nice product and perfectly endorsed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2015 11:53 AM GMT

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)

3.0 out of 5 stars Going for a song, 28 Feb. 2013
The Raven That Refused to Sing (etc.) is an extremely accomplished piece of work from a man that doesn't seem to stop writing, producing and collaborating. It stirs up Prog artists such as early Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Tangerine Dream, UK ... and many more. That's fine by me.

However it's hard to establish exactly where he is coming from on this album. The sound is unquestionably Steven Wilson and that I fear is the problem with this and other releases he has become associated with recently. He is turning into the Phil Spector of Prog, similar to what Todd Rundgren did in the 70s/80s with the likes of Utopia (yes I know they were his band), Meatloaf, The Cars, The Tubes, etc.

I don't know the difference between Steven's solo work and Porcupine Tree anymore ... it's all a bit too predictable and I fear this predictability may spread.

So please Mr Wilson, keep away from Mikael Akerfeldt ... what have you done to him?!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 7:56 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5