Profile for banks3535 > Reviews

Content by banks3535

"banks3535"

Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars No 'these things we make', 5 Nov. 2004
This review is from: 04 (Audio CD)
Let me just start off by saying that I am a huge 6by7 fan, right from the beginning of 'These things we make' and 'get a real tattoo' (career highlight by far) They have always been that band, when people say, 'so what's your favourite band?' 'Six by Seven', 'Right! Heard of them, never got round to buying anything.' And after years of saying 'do it', I find myself still directing them to the first album, which, in my opinion they have never come close to matching.
04 is a good album; 'bochum' is perhaps the closest they have come to being joyous, hopeful even, while maintaining that precious 6by7 crunching tide. I just feel they have lacked the sinister edge that drew me into their debut. At points they have even imitated the first album - see drum beat on 'sometimes I feel like...' and 'European me'.
Saying that though, this is a different sound, more spiritualised than arab strap. Both of whom I love to bits. But for me 6by7 are, and have been for the last three albums, in a middle ground. they are not quite this, and not quite that, which in some respects is good ; no one likes to be pinned down. But for me it makes the sound confused and a little directionless.
Then again maybe this is the 'its never as good as the original' complex, so maybe I should just shut the hell up. If you don't own any 6by7 then remedy that situation, now. They are still a crucial band, despite my ramblings.

The Futureheads
The Futureheads
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Hounds of Love, 5 Nov. 2004
This review is from: The Futureheads (Audio CD)
So the future and past have decided to join forces and serge towards cynical punk-pop weary ears in a strange roaring four way harmonised creature of Sunderland. And it couldn't get any better than this. The band have already charged manically through angry hook-tastic Le Garage before getting their heads down to rattle through Robot (highlight of the album) and A to B. When you finally come to your senses and realise your mouth is wide open and the floor is swimming with drool, it's time to drool some more! Decent Days and Nights takes everything that was vaguely interesting about 80's punk pop, spits in it's face, steals it's handbag and runs off joyously into the night. That is to say; it is good. This song came on in a well known bar in Camden to an at first unimpressed throwback indie crowd. By the end everyone was dancing with a smile on their face - I did my best to imitate the God-like knees of the 'heads.
I love this band for its sheer honesty; Sunderland accents run naked and free weaving in and out of each other unabashed and unashamed in worked for beauty. Everything about this record, from the odd moans of Danger of the Water to the inspired cover of Hounds of Love, exudes a true passion for what they do. And in true debut style it is extraordinarily energised.
This record is what you have been looking for. Truly.