Profile for TheMummy > Reviews

Content by TheMummy

TheMummy (St Leonards on Sea)

Through a Dark Mist
Through a Dark Mist

1.0 out of 5 stars Slush Fiction, 26 May 2011
Recipe:

Take Four of any Harold Robbins novels. Add to blender.

Then add copious amounts of Barbara Cartland novels.

Adjust seasoning with pinches of Phillippa Gregorys' historical fiction.

Blend at top speed adding more Barbara Cartland to sweeten if necessary.

WARNING! Excessive consumption may cause vomiting and nausea.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for my girls, 20 April 2009
This book is Mills & Boon meets Hammer House of Horror. Anyone else tired of hearing about Edwards muscles?

I really hope my daughters don't get sucked into the hype and believe this is literature worth spending any life units on. There's a lot more better books than this to spend your money and time on.

The sophisticated jacket design belies the cheap, trashy content.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2011 2:26 AM BST

Welcome To The Monkey House and Palm Sunday: An Autobiographical Collage: "Welcome to the Monkey House", "Palm Sunday"
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for the free thinkers, 7 April 2009
I read the short story collection 'Welcome to the Monkey House' 30 years or so ago. Since then my original copy has long been lost/borrowed or given away. Several times I bought new copies as gifts. A few years ago wanting to introduce my children to Vonnegut I was devastated to discover that it was out of print. The only copy available to buy anywhere that I could find was in the library of a recently deceased rock star - so it came with a celebrity price tag.

I am telling you to buy a copy now and read it - the stories will stay with you forever, but the book probably won't because you will want to share it with friends and the like minded.

I presume this has been released following the death of Kurt Vonnegut jnr. Who knows how soon before it is out of print again?

Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush Past
Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush Past
by Barbara Denny

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 7 April 2009
I received this book for Christmas 2008. I thought I knew pretty much everything there was to know about the area I grew up in. How wrong I was. This book has informed and delighted me immeasurably. I was thrilled to see photographs of how the area was before it became covered in terrace houses. There's even a photograph of the farm that was cleared away to build Hammersmith Palais.

If you have any connection to the area, buy this book. Nowhere else will you find such a concentration of information and knowledge from an author who obviously enjoys her subject. We have an extensive collection of books on London - this is one of the best.

Beadwork Creates Beaded Rings
Beadwork Creates Beaded Rings
by Jean Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 7 April 2009
I bought this book because I thought I could use it as the basis of my own designs. You certainly wouldn't want to make too many of these projects as is because many of them are so awful. However, despite being an experienced beader and having the patience of Job, the one ring I really wanted to make eludes me. Why? Because the instructions have stages missing and do not tie to the diagrams.

This is a collection of designs, each supplied by a different artist compiled into one book. I do not think that the 'author' worked the patterns before publishing.

The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe [1964] [DVD]
The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe [1964] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Hoffmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Perspective, 8 Oct. 2007
I remember watching this when I was a child. I saw a man, a grown up, of indeterminate years and followed his journey.

In my 20's, I saw this wonderful series again and realised that the man was actually really nice, although it seemed wrong to fancy Robinson Crusoe.

Now I'm in my 40's and I've just seen it again I realise that there's this kid, washed up on a desert island, who has to rely on his own resources.

So, I'm watching this with daughter number 1 aged 15 who thinks he's "quite hot" and daughter number 2 aged 8, who is worried that the man won't get home again.

I bought this DVD so I can one day watch it (hopefully) with further generations. It's a wonderful series, never bettered. Incidentally, the paradise where this was filmed is now all under concrete.