Profile for helga_360 > Reviews

4:13 Dream
4:13 Dream
Price: 6.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Deserves repeated listens!, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: 4:13 Dream (Audio CD)
I'm in complete agreement with the reviewer who commented that this album deserves a few listens before passing judgement. It's a bit of a grower (that's not to say that I disliked it on it's first airing but after a few listens I positively loved it!) It's classic Cure, OK maybe the lighter-hearted side of the Cure - but that's no bad thing in my book (and there's always the promise of the "Dark Album" to come...) Yes there are echoes of past Cure glories in there, but it's in no way a re-hash of old ground. Buy it and give a few listens - you won't be dissappointed!

In Camelot's Shadow (Reader's Choice)
In Camelot's Shadow (Reader's Choice)
by Sarah Zettel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly enjoyable!, 13 Sep 2005
I am by no means what you'd call a 'fantasy fan', but I really enjoyed this book. The story offers much in the way of believable characterisations, we are given insights into the motivations and hopes and fears of all of the characters (goodies and baddies alike). All in all, I was pleasantly surprised - it's a cracking story and the end of the book sets us up nicely for what is to follow in the series. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

The Dante Club
The Dante Club
by Matthew Pearl
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 13 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Dante Club (Paperback)
Like many of the other reviewers, I was intrigued by the premise of this book and so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Having read the book I now wish I hadn't bothered, as I found it hard-going from the start and the ending offered little in the way of reward. The book seems to be dragged down by a lot of unnecessary detail about the members' of the Dante Club personal lives - which I didn't feel added anything to the novel.
On the positive side, I did find the descriptions of life as a soldier in the Civil War (which is relayed towards the end of the novel) interesting, but still not enough to redeem the rest of the book, hence the '**' rating.

The Various Haunts Of Men: A Simon Serrailler Novel
The Various Haunts Of Men: A Simon Serrailler Novel
by Susan Hill

2.0 out of 5 stars not a whodunnit, 21 July 2005
I really did not enjoy reading this book - although I thought Susan Hill deftly creates believable minor characters, the 'hero' is strangely 2 dimensional and aloof. I guessed who the murderer was so wasn't shocked with their casual unveiling... so I'd say it's definitely not for who-dunnit fans. I have read that the author wanted to write a book that examines the motives of a killer - but I think she even fails in this aspect, as we are only given fleeting glimpses into their reasoning/motives/aims. All in all I think I'll be giving the rest of the series a wide berth.

Black Narcissus
Black Narcissus
by Rumer Godden

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the film - loved the book!, 14 July 2005
This review is from: Black Narcissus (Paperback)
I picked this up because Black Narcissus is one of my all time favourite films and I wanted to see if the book contained the gothic yet exotic feel of the movie. The book does not disappoint. In fact, I usually like to have read the book before I see the film as movie interpretations are usually massive let-downs, however after reading the book I can whole-heartedly recommend this book! The descriptions of the landscape and indigenous people bring the book to life and the creeping sense of foreboding that makes the film such a treat can be felt throughout the book. In summary, if you like the film try the book or if you like the book try the film!