Profile for Mr. P. A. Martin > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. A. Martin

Mr. P. A. Martin "anon345"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Leaping Hare
The Leaping Hare
by George Ewart Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure how it compares with current thinking and research but a great read all the same and probably why our craft ..., 29 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Leaping Hare (Paperback)
A classic and fascinating book. I'm not sure how it compares with current thinking and research but a great read all the same and probably why our craft shops are overrun by poor quality hares. Whilst better than dolphins, perhaps it's time for a cull.

I also recommend The People of the Sea. Another fascinating account of the many seal and selkie myths along the western sides of our shores, written by David Thompson, half of the writing team above.

Old Adam
Old Adam

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a great fan of early English folk and by early I ..., 29 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Old Adam (Audio CD)
I bought this album under the influence of the their mesmerising version of Tom Waits' the briar and the rose, but sadly this is untypical of the rest of the recording. I'm not a great fan of early English folk and by early I mean the early 70s folk of Steeleye Span but if you liked them, you'll love this album. As for me, I'll keep spinning it to see if it's a grower but it's not amongst my faves yet, well apart from the aforementioned track.

The People Of The Sea: Celtic Tales of the Seal-Folk (Canons)
The People Of The Sea: Celtic Tales of the Seal-Folk (Canons)
by David Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic book which works on so many levels. ..., 18 Jun. 2015
A classic book which works on so many levels. As a travelogue, as a record of seal mythologies and as a description of changing rural sensibilities, as older cultural attitudes become superseded and myths become an embarrassment, relegated to the world of children.

Primo Levi: Tragedy of an Optimist
Primo Levi: Tragedy of an Optimist
by Myriam Anissimov

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and well written biography with a fascinating account of ..., 18 Jun. 2015
An excellent and well written biography with a fascinating account of Jewish life under Mussolini. A must for all admirers of Primo Levi's writings.

The Real Miles Davis
The Real Miles Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars what only £3.49?, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Real Miles Davis (Audio CD)
Damn!!, only £3.49, I've just spent £6.00 on a second hand copy, still good value though. A fantastic collection I can listen too when I'm too lazy to play vinyl.

PURE EVOKE-2S, Luxury Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Maple (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, 11 Feb. 2013
Having come to enjoy BBC Radio6 through my freeview box (connected to a hifi amp and speakers), I bought this radio for my kitchen so I could also listen there. And so far it has been a very pleasurable experience. The only issue I had was it was initially unable to tune into the stations in my kitchen, so I took it upstairs and tuned it there and when I returned it to the kitchen, everything was fine.

The sound quality is excellent for such a small radio and very loud when required and I've experienced none of the chattering, squeeling sound as the channel breaks up, that I've so often heard from cheaper DAB radios. Once set up, and that is a simple task, the radio is really easy to use.

The only two gripes I have with it is firstly it takes rather a lot longer to switch on compared to an FM radio but that seems to be the case with all DAB radios, so I guess I shouldn't complain here but what I do wish it had is a remote control. Then I could place it high on a cupboard out of the way and also switch it off when the floors wet from cleaning. But apart from that an excellent radio which would have been five stars with a remote but only four without.

Marantz CD6004 CD Player with iPod Compatible USB Input - Black
Marantz CD6004 CD Player with iPod Compatible USB Input - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars much the same as everyone else..... it's good, very good!!, 11 Feb. 2013
I recently bought the Marantz 6004 amp to replace my 15 year old Sony Amp which suddenly died on me and I'm very pleased with it and was considering replacing my excellent but tempremental NAD CD player, for some years I've been having occasional issues with the CD draw refusing to open but recently it has been becoming worse, often putting the player out of action for weeks at a time, so time to junk it. So I replaced it with the Marantz 6004 CD and what a lovely piece of kit it is.

Ascetically it is rather handsome and looks good alongside the amp. The curved front facia mark it out from other square boxes. It was easy to set up and operate; the remote is also a lovely if large design and has the added advantage of limited control of the amp as well. The amp remote will also control the CD player and you can disable the CD player remote and hard wire it to the amp if you want but I feared I'd lose some of the finer control points so haven't so far. I need to consult the manual further and think about the advantages or not.

As for the sound, all I can say is excellent. I run the player amp combo through a pair of old but excellent stand mounted B&W 601 S2 speakers and it sounds awesome.

I have very eclectic taste in music, so on its first outing I played a mix of discs, church organ has deep rich resonances, you can really feel the bass rumble, the same with Lee Scratch Perry when the bass kicks in. Also with orchestral music, the quiet passages are clearly detailed but be careful when the orchestra reaches full pelt, as it can get very loud. With acoustic music, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Leonard Cohen, the voice is clear and distinct with the supporting instruments clearly defined and I've never heard the steel guitar on Emmylou Harris's Elite Hotel sound so good. Anyway spent the whole Sunday listening, Miles Davies, Anya Garbarek, Iarla Ó Lionáird and they all sounded fresh and better than I'd ever heard them before.

So as for sound and quality and ease of use, easily up there with the five stars; but this brings me to my one and only gripe. We read a lot about conserving energy and the need to switch items off when not in use. It makes sense and saves us money however, unlike the amplifier; there is no way of switching this CD player off. There was appears to be an on/off switch in the same location as the one on the amp but it merely switches between on and standby. In fact the manual advises unplugging the unit when it's not is use, a not very convenient option and not one I can do easily as the plugs are all hidden at the back of my shelf unit. So a very poor option in these eco conscious days and one which I'm afraid loses it one star in my opinion but in all other respects, an excellent player.

Adiemus: Songs of Sanctuary
Adiemus: Songs of Sanctuary
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars music for people who don't like listening to music, bland background sounds to mask the noise of the freezer, 30 Jan. 2013
Well where to begin? I've been vaguely aware of Karl Jenkins for some years now, I'd assumed he was an ecclesiastical composer on the fringes of High Anglicanism but until recently I was unaware of his music.

My first introduction to him came in the form of a TV documentary on his Harp Concert, now I love the harp and possess an number of harp recordings, from vintage Nansi Richards to Joanna Newsom, so I thought I'd give it a listen and how disapointed I was at the awful trite music that emerged. To call it music for lifts is to heap praise upon it.

Which brings me to this recording.

The minimal sleak packaging gives little indication of a composer, you have to search the small print for this, I wonder why the false modesty? When the first track started playing, I knew I'd heard it before but where, then I remembered an ad for some airline or other, then I remembered. If the harp concerto was trite, this was even worse, cod Africanised Latin lyrics, sickly melody lines, the barest of rythmns. To my mind a very poor imitation of David Fanshawe's African Sanctus.

As the cd proceeds the experience simply gets worse, as each track is just a paler imitation of the one before. A truly dreadful recording and as I said in the title, only suitable for people who don't actually like to listen to music. A bland background noise to drown out the hum of the freezer.

If I could give in no stars I would. My copy is going straight to OXFAM and if my friend asks where is it, I'm going to say the dog ate it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 1:09 PM GMT

Tuscany: Inside the Light (Photography)
Tuscany: Inside the Light (Photography)
by Joel Meyerowitz

4.0 out of 5 stars a trip to the country..........., 23 Jan. 2013
I guess Meyerowitz is amongst the top three American, large format colour landscape photographers, alongside Stephen Shore and Joel Sternfeld but of the three he has always seemed to me to be the least interesting; technically brilliant, with a good eye for a beautiful image but with rather little or no conceptual content - I'm thinking of his book Cape Light here.

And so to this book - I mention Joel Sternfeld because if I was given these images without naming an author, he's the one photographer I'd attribute them too. There is a marked similarity to Sternfeld's book "Campagna Romana: The Countryside of Ancient Rome", notably in Meyerowitz's similar use of the diptych and also Sternfeld's other great book, Oxbow Archive, notably in its seasonable arrangement of the images and the style of the images.

I also suspect the chosen subject of "Tuscany" owes more to commercial concerns than an over riding interest in the province, it is a pretty subject that should sell.

So this leaves me with a quandary, I really like the images in this book. I love the quiet understated approach and certainly do not find them boring or consider they would be improved by being panchromatic, as another reviewer has suggested. I also prefer my landscape photography to be more political or culturally aware but never the less I think I'll give it four stars for the sheer pleasure the images give.

Campagna Romana: The Countryside of Ancient Rome

Joel Sternfeld: Oxbow Archive

Cape Light

Traces
Traces

5.0 out of 5 stars i never know what to say as a title, 18 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Traces (Audio CD)
Yes as the other reviews point out, another fine recording from Karine Polwart, she just gets better with every CD.

Some lovely tracks, I simply can't pick a favourite, well apart from maybe the King of the birds, a politically astute and yet subtle song about the occupy camp at Saint Pauls. Who says protest songs have to be bombastic and sloganeering? This track, as do many of the other songs on the album, proves they don't. Billy Bragg etal, listen up and learn.

Simply buy it.