Profile for Saxmarinio > Reviews

Content by Saxmarinio

Saxmarinio

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Improvement over OEM, 14 Nov 2012
Bought a new car and was so dismayed by the weak lights I had to act.

These bulbs do what they say; bit brighter and a bit whiter than stock. For the price you can't go wrong. The only test left is longevity, but if they last the year I'll be happy.

Seasonic 750W M12II Bronze Series Modular Power Supply (Ample +12V Outputs, Smart and Silent Fan Control, Multi-GPU Technologies Supported)

5.0 out of 5 stars PSU Perfection, 14 Nov 2012
I've had a mini nightmare in the last few months (see my review on the Antec HCP 750).

Suffice to say, this unit has been exceptional out of the box. I made a serious error when I opted for an Antec HCP 750 before. Two faulty PSU's later and I was forced to accept that Antec suck at making PSU's.

Alas, this bad boy has given me zero issues for a week since it's been installed. Quiet as a mouse too, and compared to my old unit it's saving me around 1p per hour of use. Doesn't sound like much but over the course of a year it adds up, and what with energy prices going up it'll pay for itself in a few years!

In short, if you're even considering a PSU that isn't a Seasonic, just forget it. Go for this and be happy.

Antec HCP-750 GB High Current Pro Series 750W Power Supply Unit with nVIDIA SLI-Ready and ATI CrossFireX Certified

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Warranty Process, 20 Oct 2012
I'm not necessarily reviewing the product, so much as their warranty claim system.
Bought this as a replacement for an ageing PSU, but due to some other circumstances I wasn't able to actually install my new Antec HCP-750 until 6 weeks after it arrived.

When I did get around to installing it, everything seemed fine, until 5 minutes after the first switch on, the PC suddenly died without warning. After resetting the PSU I tried again. And again. Same thing happened each time. I reinstalled my old PSU and there were no problems. Lucky me, I bought a faulty HCP-750!

Since it had gone past 30 days Amazon didn't want to know. Turns out getting an authorised replacement requires up to a week to get the attention of someone from Antec, then you have to fill in a load of forms and wait for another week for them to give you an authorisation number. Then you have to send the thing to the Netherlands!! Bear in mind this thing weighs 4kg this won't be cheap, and Antec refuse to pay the postage. I'm wondering if Antec are in breach of the UK Distance Selling Regulations...

Either way, I don't expect to get a working PSU back for another 6 weeks. After paying 115 for this supposedly top-of-the-range PSU, I feel thoroughly let down.

When it's working I'm told it's a great PSU, so if you're feeling lucky by all means go for one. However, Antec's after-care service is poor, so if you can buy a PSU that can be warrantied in the UK then definitely buy that one.

The one star is because my only experience with this PSU is that it doesn't work. I'll update in a few months when I finally receive a replacement, hopefully this one will work.

UPDATE:
Second unit that was sent by Antec was faulty, with exactly the same fault! Although this one lasted nearly an hour each time between shutdowns.
I know for a fact that the units were at fault and not my system, because I purchased a Seasonic M12II and it has been happily powering my system for a week without incident.
And Amazon kindly refunded the original cost for the Antec unit, so I'm not too out of pocket for the whole experience.

LESSONS LEARNED:
1. Buy from Amazon (direct) - they are very reasonable and give great protection to buyers
2. Always check to make sure your product works in the first 30 days at least
3. If you're thinking about an Antec PSU, forget it. Buy Seasonic, they're known as the best for a reason.

PS I have the Antec P280 case and this is awesome, I recommend it. It's a safe bet too because it's hard to get a faulty metal box - well done Antec!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2013 2:30 PM GMT

Scythe Kaze Server Case Fan Black
Scythe Kaze Server Case Fan Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fan controller out there for the price, 18 Oct 2012
The controller looks great and performs even better. Seemlessly controls four fans in my computer case, and has great features to allow for automatic speed setting or manual.
The temperature sensors can be placed anywhere in the case for realtime temperature monitoring.
The only gripe I have is the screen is not easily readable from the side; you have to be near head-on to get a good read. Not a terrible thing though.
Also, be mindful that the knobs stick out about 10 mm from the screen, so make sure this fits in with any case door you have.

Overall, spot on, go for it.

Helikon Military Airsoft Paintball HFG Half Finger Fingerless Tactical Combat Gloves Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, no faults, 30 Aug 2012
These are a good quality pair of gloves. I use them for hand protection while playing paintball and they do the job just nice.
Fit snugly too, sometimes forget that I'm wearing them.

Thoroughly recommended.

Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector Anti Scratch Guard Film for Samsung Galaxy S III SIII S3 S 3 i9300
Offered by DOML
Price: 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality protector, 30 Aug 2012
I've used Martin Fields protector before and they've always been more durable and more pleasant to use than any others I've looked at.
There's no change here, typical good quality.

My only gripe is the size of the protector. It's cut ONLY JUST big enough to cover the visible screen area, thereby leaving a thin edge area exposed on the front face.

What's more, because it's about 1mm thick and sits proud on the front face, it means there's a good chance you will one day catch one of the corners as you routinely take your phone out and in your pocket.
This happened to me within weeks of having it on, and now a corner next to the home button is dog-eared and traps dirt. I recommend they stop being too stingy on the size so it fills out right to the edge of the face to stop this from happening.

Therefore, 4/5 for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2013 3:48 PM BST

Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mouse for those on a budget, 30 Aug 2012
I was skeptical at first about buying this mouse since I have never heard of or used a Sharkoon product.
I'm glad to say my faith in the purchase and other reviews was well rewarded. It feels solid in the hand, and has a good quality click to it. I haven't used the various dpi settings but I'm sure they'd be useful if they were needed.

I wouldn't bother taking any of the weights out either; feels just right with them all in.
Ergonomically speaking, I have larger than average sized hands, and it fits perfectly.

Installed without a problem, and having used this for a good few months, I can safely say it's a solid purchase. Unless you're a hardcore extreme gamer, you needn't bother with anything more expensive.

Proper good show, Sharkoon.

Master Class Towel Holder, Stainless Steel
Master Class Towel Holder, Stainless Steel
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, no faults, 30 Aug 2012
Stuck these bad boys up and there they've stayed. Work a treat and look tidy too. Definitely recommend this product.

Plantronics Voyager Pro+ Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics Voyager Pro+ Bluetooth Headset

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, nearly perfect, 22 Feb 2012
The headset is great; voices are clear going both ways and the fit is extremely comfortable for me.

The only downside for me is the battery. It lasts maybe a third of the stated time. The voice will tell me I have 3 hours talk time remaining, yet after a 70 minute conversation the battery warning sounds begin.

Despite this I can live with it and keep it charged regularly, therefore I'd recommend this above all others in the price bracket!