ARRAY(0xadec0798)

Profile for D. L. George > Reviews

Content by D. L. George

D. L. George "wilscombe" (Cirencester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Samsung E1150 Flip Fold Sim Free Mobile Phone - Ruby Red
Samsung E1150 Flip Fold Sim Free Mobile Phone - Ruby Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 15 Jan 2014
I had a very sophisticated mobile with all the bells and whistles. I gave it to a delighted youngster and bought this little jewel. Smart, simple to use and lasts a week on a single charge. The only criticism is that the charging socket is a bit fiddly.

284.033: Telephone Socket with Integral ADSL (Broadband) Filter
284.033: Telephone Socket with Integral ADSL (Broadband) Filter
Offered by Electromart-UK
Price: 6.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Go elsewhere., 15 Jan 2014
Seemed like a good idea but the broadband socket would not work, even when fitted by an electrical engineer. Supplier simply did not want to know. Others are available. Go elsewhere.

VonHaus - Heavy Duty Steel & MDF 5 Tier Racking Shelf or Workbench - Massive 875Kg Capacity
Offered by Designer Habitat
Price: 84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs Bracing, 16 Dec 2013
Well designed manufactured. Easy to put together - I did not need the rubber hammer but a flar-blade screwdriver was useful. Clear and simple instructions. In the event of a house move, it comes apart easily in two pieces.
It does need bracng against a wall, preferably with screws. It should never be used free-standing
Very useful and at a reasonabl price.

A Midsummer Night's Dream [DVD]
A Midsummer Night's Dream [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lindsay Duncan
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 6.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?, 11 Dec 2013
I saw a disjointed miscellany of highly polished pieces that had very little connection with each other and were mainly plagiarised from other Classics. True I did not watch it all the way through, mainly because of the unusual numbness in my forebrain.
Perhaps this is one of the highly esoteric productions that are beyond the ken of us mere mortals. Or possibly I represent the innocents who cannot see the Kings' new clothes?

The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)
The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)
by Mark Storey
Price: 11.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Hi-tech, 1 Dec 2013
For most modern cyclists this book will be right on the mark. Unfortunately, my interests are in older style equipment. But a lycra-clad friend was more than happy to take it off my hands!

The Producers: 30th Anniversary Edition [DVD]
The Producers: 30th Anniversary Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zero Mostel
Price: 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 1 Dec 2013
This is one of the great classics and is far superior to most modern offerings. Perhaps it is just me, but it never fails to produce a gut-busting laugh.

CRYSTAL CLEAR PVC VINYL OICLOTH TABLECLOTH WATERPROOF TABLE PROTECTOR COVERINGS MATERIAL PER METRE 135CM WIDTH
Offered by Home-Expressions
Price: 3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Dor insulation., 1 Dec 2013
My flat has a wood and glass, totally un-insulated, front door. The result was that the hallway became a power-hungry heat-sink that was costing a fortune and generally making my life miserable.
This product is just over-size for a door and the overlap can be used as a draught-excluder. As it is thicker than many of the products offered for insulation and is easy to handle. Final trimming is done using sharp scissors.
Heat insulation should never have more than 1" clearance for effectiveness.
Using 1/2 inch, double-sided tape the vinyl has been fixed to the door and the improvement is dramatic. There has been an 8 oC increase in temperature in the hallway and has generally made the property more liveable. OK, the effect is not pretty but the extra warmth is very welcome.
Cost was less than 10 (As against 1,500 for a new door). Of course, it can also be used on windows.
If anyone

Wd40 Wd40 5 Litre Can Plus Spray
Wd40 Wd40 5 Litre Can Plus Spray
Offered by RRD Automotive
Price: 24.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Workshop essential, 1 Dec 2013
Cans of WD40 are no doubt useful but I would always recommend getting the 5-litre can. A pump-action spray comes with the can and provides extra power to get into difficult areas. Over the years, these can have saved me hundreds of pounds in resolving issues and restoring otherwise useless items.

Andrew James 12 LTR Premium Black Digital Halogen Oven Cooker With Hinged Lid + Easily Replaceable Spare Bulb + 2 YEAR WARRANTY + 128 page Recipe Book - Complete with Extender Ring (Up to 17 Litres), Cake/Rice Dish, Toast Rack, Baking Tray, Steamer Tray, Skewers, High And Low Racks 1400 Watts
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Cost effective updater, 1 Dec 2013
This is my third halogen oven and has every appearance of being the best yet. It replaces a smaller (7 litre) oven and a conventional, table-top oven. It also appears to replace the toaster and steamer. But that remains to be seen.
Given that a halogen oven requires no pre-heating and uses 25% of the power of a conventional oven, I am confident of reducing my power bills considerably.
Whilst keeping a careful eye on the pennies, I have found it a good policy to go for quality, these days. In choosing this particular model, there has been a pay-off in spades. A lot of thought and good design has gone into this item. The replacement bulb is welcome but is the least of the accessories provided. The only extra accessory I invested in was the dry-air chip fryer.
I particularly like halogen cookers in general, because of the reduction in cooking smells, the element of control provided by the timer and a clear view of the food as it cooks.
When it comes to the end of its' working life, it will still make a nice aquarium/vivarium. Bargain!

The Medea Complex
The Medea Complex
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome change, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Medea Complex (Kindle Edition)
For a long time I have been aware that I was getting into a rut with my choice of reading matter. Rachel Roberts "The Medea Complex" could not have been more different from my usual fare.
Her sublime use of the language and sheer professionalism makes this book a real pleasure to read.
As a sometime wordsmith (I have had the odd snippet published and even been paid on occasion.) I could be jealous but I am just glad we can produce a writer of this quality.
I hope for more and will certainly look out for her work.
David George