Profile for RAY77 > Reviews

A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths
by Tony Fletcher
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eternal Light by Ray Gower, 1 Dec 2012
Delivery was swift and secure as usual from Amazon on this beautiful book which I found honest and insightful on a truly legendary band.After punk I got married in the early 80's and didn't have much time for music which was a blessing as most of the scene around at that time was truly awful so I stuck with the Pistols,Buzzcocks and the Banshees etc(punk 76_79).Suddenly out of the blue came this weird band from Manchester who sounded like nothing I heard before or since yet they sounded familiar at the same time!.I checked them out live early on and they didn't disappoint,The Smiths to me on stage were more punk in my view as Morrissey's lyrics were what I took punk as(attitude mixed with vaudeville seriousness and campness),and as for Johnny Marr,well as a guitarist myself,I completey went from trying to sound like Steve Jones, John McGeogh etc(still love these guys)to. getting the "Marresque" sound and I'm still trying!!.What that young lad came up with for his age is litte more than stunning as them tunes are timeless.Some of The Smiths songs can make you smile,cry,feel wonderful and genuinely pull you through but most of all it was always rounded off with Morrissey's BLACK HUMOUR(for all you one dimensional. critics who label them miserable.).I still listen to The Smiths everyday if I can and also follow Morrissey wherever I can!.Do yourself a favour and by this really interesting book on a band that really meant it and there really ain't much else out there anymore,sad but true.VIVA LE SMITHS!

Absolute Garbage [Special Edition Cd]
Absolute Garbage [Special Edition Cd]

4.0 out of 5 stars ray77, 4 July 2012
I remember catching Shirley Manson live with Goodbye Mr McKenzie once and thought she sounded great then.Certainly you can tell she was a big fan of Siouxsie and definitely sounds as menacing sometimes aswell.There are some really interesting and theatrical tracks on this compilation yet at the same time sound catchy and poppy which is not easy to do so all credit to the band aswell.Overall I highly recommend this high quality cd.

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BOLLOCKS !!, 3 July 2012
What can I say about the album that changed my outlook on life.The re-master of this iconic classic is breathtaking,you can hear some great guitar overdubs of the mighty Steve Jones that were hard to hear in the original mix.As Bill Price the engineer rightly states,he is the best rhythm guitarist out there.Paul Cook's drumming sounds incredibley sharp and clear compared ro the old mix,again a fantastc "rock" as opposed to the thrashy punk impersonaters.The bass guitar is also more clear and prominent aswell,again supplied by mr.Jones,listening to "Submission"is like listening to another band.I never realised the bass was so springy and dare I say it "funky" in that track!.Last not least,the man himself mr.Lydon,what a voice,when I first heard his voice it was what I was waiting for in my life at tbe time,A voice that sounded honest and real,someone I could relate to basically.You almost feel you're in the singing booth with him on this re-mix it's amazing.Just buy the bloody thing and re-live history!!!