Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Spero (Kindle Singles)
Spero (Kindle Singles)
Price: 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sailing Read, 30 July 2014
I quite enjoyed this book, especially as I have done quite a lot of sailing myself. It was an account of Ursula Westmacott's introduction and further adventures in sailing. I was able to identify with the discomfort, grumpy skipper and the love/hate relationship with all of it!... There was also a lot of joy and sense of achievement in fetching different ports of call...only to move on after a couple of nights! I particularly enjoyed the web address at the end which showed some excellent photos of the boat, Yachting Monthly page clipping and the couple as they are now!...Still together after all these years!..I loved 'Spero' and the beautiful lines showed off to perfection by some Beken photos. Not sure I would have enjoyed the low headroom below and those very flat decks! Great respect to both of the Westmacotts! Thank you for sharing.

I Capture The Castle (Vintage Classics)
I Capture The Castle (Vintage Classics)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage romance, 9 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book which has been chosen as a book club read.I found it charming, gentle and flowed along beautifully transporting the reader to a bygone age.Keeping to social standards in the face of adversity, the wonderfully eccentric family who live in the castle leave the reader questioning if people would really behave as these do! I like to imagine they would....guess I am just an old romantic!

The God of Small Things
The God of Small Things
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The God of Small Things, 2 Jun 2014
I chose this rating because I couldn't quite give it a 4 star though I would have like to give it a 4.5 stars. The book (chosen by my book group) is beautifully written but is somewhat harrowing. I felt sadness throughout and found it difficult to find any joy in it at all. However, it does not make it a bad book because I felt uncomfortable. The tale focuses on some dreadful events during the childhood of twins, one particularly life changing for Estha which was kept secret. The ending too left me with a sadness which I couldn't shake off and as the title suggests, it was left for the characters to focus on the small things. Worth a read.

Les Miserables
Les Miserables
Price: 13.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original 1985 London Cast Recording, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Les Miserables (Audio CD)
I chose this particular recording because it was already recommended on Amazon by a reviewer. I love the music from this musical so already knew that I was going to like it ...just a bit wary as to whether I would like the older recording of it, however, no need to worry as it is wonderful. If in doubt, buy it and judge for yourself. I love it but you probably guessed that!

Designer Flush Cutter Qty 1
Designer Flush Cutter Qty 1
Offered by The Bead Shop (Nottingham) Limited
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Answer!, 2 Jun 2014
I like to make a bit of jewellery, for my own amusement but have a problem with some osteoarthritis in my hands. It can be extremely frustrating when I need to snip through tough wire. Other wire cutters which I own tend to leave a rough edge and do not cut close enough as I find it difficult to put enough pressure on them. These Designer Flush Cutters are brilliant, they cut really close to where they are needed and with little effort from my hands. I know that they are rather more expensive than others but I have to say,'Well worth it!' I recommend for anyone who likes their life to be a little easier... not just for stiff hands!

Island Wife: Living on the Edge of the Wild
Island Wife: Living on the Edge of the Wild
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Island Wife, 2 Jun 2014
I absolutely loved this book! I laughed out loud, cried, felt sadness, frustration and empathy, in fact the whole gamut of emotions. Having experienced similar to a lesser degree, I was able to live every moment! I could not put the book down and would recommend it to anyone who feels that they may have lost themselves in the constant round of keeping house in a busy household full of children, the never ending round of work, pregnancies, house guests and always being beneath the wings of someone else. Judy Fairbairns finally did find her real self and her marriage survived for 40 years. In spite of the hardships which Judy Fairbairns endured, she was able to rise above them all and I feel that she would not have changed a single thing. Great Family. Great Author. Great Book of a Life well spent.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
Price: 1.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 May 2014
This was a book club read and as I have never read P.D. James but have heard of her excellent reputation as a crime writer I was really looking forward to it. However, perhaps I should have read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen beforehand to see what James was trying to achieve.
Without previous knowledge I felt that the book was written for the large and small screen rather than as a book in its own right. I understand that there was a TV showing of it at Christmas but I didn't see it.
I thought the plot was weak and I had the murder worked out very early on. For me, character portrayal was lacking and and I know that I should have read P&P beforehand to get a better idea, but surely a good book can ride on its own merits.
I felt that much description was given to furniture, fabrics and colour and room settings and less to the characters. There were times when the book had some flow but about three quarters of the way through it seemed to lack substance of any sort and became quite boring... Really sorry that I can't give a better review, it is only my opinion and I intend to read some of James' earlier books to redress the balance.

Call Of The Camino : Myths, Legends and Pilgrim Stories on the Way to Santiago de Compostela
by Robert Mullen
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Call of the Camino, 14 May 2014
I chose this rating because it was a 5 star... for me. It might not appeal to others but I have walked the Camino Frances and the Camino Ingles and the myths, legends and pilgrim stories remind me of those times. Although many people walk one of the caminos to Santiago de Compostela each year, everyone's camino experience is be different, but in many ways, the same. This book reflects that and although I haven't read it from beginning to end, I love dipping into it from time to time and it takes me right back. I would recommend this book for anyone who has walked some or all of the camino or who would maybe like a better impression of what it could be like if he or she would like to give it a go. Buen Camino.

Zoggs Easy-Fit Silicone Swim Cap - Ladies
Zoggs Easy-Fit Silicone Swim Cap - Ladies
Offered by notonlybowls
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Swim cap, 13 May 2014
Excellent.Strong but light.Fits well.Does the job.....What more can I say about a swim cap? Not flattering but very functional.There you are.

Great Expectations
Great Expectations
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Novel, 9 May 2014
I chose 5 stars because I thought this was excellent in every way. The descriptions of misty marshes, isolated country dwellings, Satis House and the small village settlements were extremely atmospheric and in complete contrast to London as experienced by Pip on his first visit. Miss Havisham and Estella became vivid personalities in my mind and I 'lived' through the entire novel. Brilliant! I highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7