Profile for Steve > Reviews

Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Speakers
Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Speakers
Offered by NG Solutions
Price: 59.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Really 4.5 stars I do really like them but REALLY needs a remote., 1 Dec 2013
My old Videologic speakers had a problem after at least ten years so I brought these for both my PC and use with my TV equipment. Overall I have been very impressed personally I think they work better with my TV stuff than my PC but both are great.

On the TV side I have just written a review of the digital to analogue converter 192khz/24bit.

As I expected I had to extend the rear speakers so I brought the cables at the time, what I didn't expect was for the front left right speakers to be so short as well. I also don't know whether my Asus d2x soundcard was manufactured wrongly or they all have this problem but I also needed to connect black to the yellow socket at the speaker end. Also what should be the left channel has to become the right so the front speakers need to be put on opposite sides from the intended. My old speakers also had problems with my d2x.

As the intended left speaker does not use a standard connection because it controls power and volume putting it on the right must have bent the power switch pin as the switch no longer worked after I moved them. Not a problem as I now use a switchable multi-plug. Reversing the rear speakers is very easy though as you only need to swap the connections.

If you need to do all this for your PC but like me also use the stereo inputs for TV equipment just remember to connect red to white and vice versa at the subwoofer so the inputs cross.

I have no idea what they are like at maximum volume I have no wish to offend my neighbours but PC sound is great and using the DAC I mentioned earlier TV and movie watching is superb, the speakers and bass are plenty powerful enough for my small room.

If the power switch had not stopped working so soon I would have been even happier. However as they can be also used for TV/movie watching I would have been happy to pay extra for a proper wireless remote control for volume and bass as the bass control is also on the back of the subwoofer.

Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC SPDIF - TOSlink / Coaxial to Stereo Left/Right RCA - FiiO D03K Taishan
Offered by AVShop
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 1 Dec 2013
Brought this to use with the stereo input on the back of my new Logitech Z506 speakers. Originally I had attached these to my TV using RCA phono connectors which worked for every device accept my bluray player. Since finding this and using a Toslink optical cable everything is great. As long as the source sound is good enough it gives decent 5.1 surround, all I did was run an optical cable between my TV and this as input, then use a 3.5 to phono stereo cable in the DAC's line out socket and connect the other end to my speakers, it is even powered directly from the TV's usb socket using a mini usb cable, great as I have no free plugs.

JUST REMEMBER TO SET THE TV OR BLURAY ETC TO PCM if it has that setting. I have also tried it using a coaxial cable on the bluray and directly connected to my Talktalk Youview box it seems to work perfectly but I think recordings only have sound when set to stereo but as I connect it to the TV any setting is fine as long as my Sony TV is set to PCM.

To me a perfect product. The only downside is perhaps that the switch between optical and coaxial is difficult to operate but at worst for less than 30's right now, also it is only the size of about one and a half match boxes and with so many household devices having usb using more than one should be a viable option.

Targus Universal Monitor Stand Monitor Accs PA235E
Targus Universal Monitor Stand Monitor Accs PA235E
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 27 Oct 2011
Very easy to put together holds my new monitor perfectly and gives me space to put my printer paper underneath. As that's why I got this I'm happy.

DVD Minus (16X speed) Inkjet printable spindle 50
DVD Minus (16X speed) Inkjet printable spindle 50

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Sony discs worth the money, 10 July 2011
Not the cheapest dvd-r's in the world but for the video files I wanted them for they've been faultless so far. Brought them to replace some TDK black wrapper discs I brought elsewhere, avoid these disc's (TDK black) for video work although so far they seem okay for data. By way of simple comparison these Sony have a good thickness and seem sturdy, with the TDK blacks I could hold the centre hole and easily flex the disc.

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (PC DVD)
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (PC DVD)
Offered by Planet Games And Gadgets
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does work on Windows 7 64 bit, 23 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have 64bit Windows 7, for ages I thought IL2 1946 didn't work but it does. Firstly install the program from the exe file that starts with "a" sorry I can't remember the proper name. Mine is installed directly on my c drive not in the program folder, lastly during installation make sure you set it to use opengl not directx and it should work fine. My system is

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel I5 Quad 2.66ghz
4gb memory
ATI 6870 graphics

As I was only able to sort this out a few days ago it's been ages since I played the game so I'm seriously out of flying practice at the moment but I used to love this game and in the short time I've played it since it still looks pretty good to me even if I aren't a brilliant pilot.

Hopefully this helps people make a buying decision the geme may be old but it's still good and flight sims seem to be rare at the moment. I've also contacted the windows 7 game compatibility site in the hope that they will update their information which is wrong currently.